CBR App for Smartphones (Comic Book Forums)

• CBR App for Smartphones

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 12, 2010 2:31:00 pm
  • Spa-fon said:
    http://www.jitterbug.com/

Just calls, no text, no pictures, no Internet, etc.

If we didn't already have a contract I'd have gone there...

lol jitterbog is for old people scared of technology. i use to work with a guy that had one and for about a week at the same time everyday he would answer his phone but no one was there... he had an alarm set and didn't know it.
  • Posted: March 12, 2010 2:39:33 pm
  • smeggie42 said:
    Spa-fon said:
    http://www.jitterbug.com/

Just calls, no text, no pictures, no Internet, etc.

If we didn't already have a contract I'd have gone there...

lol jitterbog is for old people scared of technology. i use to work with a guy that had one and for about a week at the same time everyday he would answer his phone but no one was there... he had an alarm set and didn't know it.
    I have got to tell you this made my day. You just called Spa old. Of course he is nearing retirement. Whistle
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 12, 2010 4:13:32 pm
  • smeggie42 said:
    lol jitterbug is for old people scared of technology. i use to work with a guy that had one and for about a week at the same time everyday he would answer his phone but no one was there... he had an alarm set and didn't know it.

With the way my cutthroat phone provider operates, I may go that route myself.Smile
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #58
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) #2
    Crisis on Infinite Earths DC/Wal-Mart 100-pg Giant

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: March 15, 2010 10:15:38 am
  • Honestly, just being able to see the full list of comics & prices would be invaluable to me, as the scrolling frame doesn't load properly on my Droid & iPhone browsers.

However, it would be cool to be able to logon and view your collection on the fly. I suppose it could come in handy with larger collections where you're not sure exactly what issues you own, hehe.
    Search & Win
  • Posted: March 15, 2010 10:26:48 am
  • smeggie42 said:
    Spa-fon said:
    http://www.jitterbug.com/ Just calls, no text, no pictures, no Internet, etc. If we didn't already have a contract I'd have gone there...

(Makes note to put a watch on Smeggie.... Twisted Evil )

I represent that remark! LOL. Actually it's pretty difficult to find a phone for someone that just wants to make and receive calls. Check it out. On my current phone, I have a lot of stuff shut off and still every so often something crops up by mistake. Probably like the alarm. I only need a phone for calls in, calls out, voice messaging and time. Yes, with my cell phone I stopped wearing a watch.

Hey sometimes simple is better. What if I don't need my microwave to cook a 30 lb roast, two side dishes and whipped cream all at the same time? What if all I want is microwave popcorn? Whistle

Last edited March 15, 2010 10:35:20 am
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: March 15, 2010 6:28:23 pm
  • Spa-fon said:

Hey sometimes simple is better. What if I don't need my microwave to cook a 30 lb roast, two side dishes and whipped cream all at the same time? What if all I want is microwave popcorn? Whistle

thats a great idea... DB can you make an app that makes popcorn in the shape of comic heroes? i know there is a toaster out there that burns the weather into your bread each morning. so how hard would the comic microwave be?
  • Posted: March 15, 2010 9:28:14 pm
  • smeggie42 said:
    thats a great idea... DB can you make an app that makes popcorn in the shape of comic heroes? i know there is a toaster out there that burns the weather into your bread each morning. so how hard would the comic microwave be?

There's also a toaster that burns Darth Vader into your toast ... how cool is that!

OldManLogan said:
    I would be interested in this for both my iPod touch (1st Gen) & iPhone 3G. I can let you know how it works on each once it is ready...can't wait!

I would be willing to help with testing as well, on my Droid Eris.
    Search & Win
  • Posted: March 29, 2010 6:31:41 am
  • Excellent. I've had my iPhone for about 3 weeks now and this would be a great addition. Collection management should include the sell list and the ability to add and remove comics.

[mod edit]Spam link removed[/mod]
  • Posted: May 20, 2010 11:37:35 pm
  • There are a couple of features that aren't currently out there in a "Comic Book App" that I think would be great, and might even cause users to migrate to Comic Book Realm from some of those inferior websites:

1) I think it would be AWESOME to be able to use the camera on the phone as a barcode scanner... that way we wouldn't have to "manually" add books to our collection. I've gotten behind in adding my books... and I'm getting further behind by the week, because I'm dreading pulling the books out and one by one typing in the titles to add them.
    There's plenty of open source barcode solutions for the various platforms... I think Google actually has some open source code where you can get the UPC from a barcode with only 6 lines of code on the Android platform.

2) It would be cool to provide some photo functionality, phone cameras have come a long way, and they probably are high enough quality to use for cover photos. Just add some registration marks in the app so the user could line up the photo all nice, and now that obscure indy book I just added has a cover photo as well.

Cheers

ps. Objective C !@$#! sucks, but I'm in the process of learning it... only because Apple and Adobe won't kiss and make up...

Last edited May 20, 2010 11:41:41 pm
55 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Eternals by Kieron Gillen TPB # 1
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Issue # 1mg-b
  • Image Comics's The Sacrificers Issue # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Black Panther Issue # 6