New "Character" Feature (Comic Book Forums)

• New "Character" Feature

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 9:55:41 pm
  • You will now notice that the character links are working and that there is a new report called "Comic Characters".

You can earn 2 points for submitting any single piece of information, and you get 2 points for every 20 words that you add to their profile. You can also get 5 points for every picture you upload of the character (i.e. from a scan/page/cover, etc).

The profile is purposefully left open ended. It is just like Wikipedia in that there are no set things that have to be entered, etc. All changes are logged so we can go back and correct problems as they arise.

There is a new "function" that makes it "easy" to link characters to contributors, to series, to publishers, and to other characters.

I will add the appearances stuff this week.

I will also go back and redo the contributor stuff to be just the same later on.

I started Aunt May out, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if someone redid it completely (she was just my guinea pig). Knowing 1573 I am pretty sure that Animal Man will become the most accurately indexed character on here after 1 week. Very Happy

Also I am aware that we have duplicate characters in the system...I will devise a way to combine them later.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 10:26:53 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Knowing 1573 I am pretty sure that Animal Man will become the most accurately indexed character on here after 1 week. Very Happy

as soon as i read the post, i headed over to get started.
    so far, 2 questions.
    what is meant by location?
    will the pic for the profile switch to th emost recent pic submitted or stay as the 1st submitted?

also, when you get the appearances set up, i plan on putting in a complete (99% accurate) chronological list of animal man's appearances.

and 1 week may not be enough time.
    i'll be honest and say 2-3 months but we'll see Wink

Last edited August 10, 2008 10:45:14 pm
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 10:48:59 pm
  • I just took 20min to work on 3D-man and the info didnt save Sad

The pic is there...but the profile info isnt.

Last edited August 10, 2008 10:51:17 pm
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 10:53:26 pm
  • Kree_Boy said:
    I just took 20min to work on 3D-man and the info didnt save Sad

yeah, i just went to check out 3-d man and there was nothing.
    is it set to not be shown until it's been "approved"?

i'm glad i waited to get animal man going.
    that would have sucked to get it all (or at least some) in and then it not save.
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 11:15:24 pm
  • it's working for me (nico minoru)
    http://comicbookrealm.com/jkoswald/collection check out my collection...selling everything (piles labeled "for sale" only) at 20% of value (80% off)...check my forum posting in the selling section for details
  • Posted: August 10, 2008 11:43:30 pm
  • ill get started on Grendel
  • Posted: August 11, 2008 7:41:16 am
  • Kree_Boy said:
    I just took 20min to work on 3D-man and the info didnt save Sad

Hmmmm.....do you remember what you used? I wonder if you logged out because you were working so long. Can you try again and see what happens (just remember to copy everything in the profile box just incase).

Thanks (and sorry).
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: August 11, 2008 7:57:18 am
  • 1573 said:
    what is meant by location?
    will the pic for the profile switch to th emost recent pic submitted or stay as the 1st submitted?

also, when you get the appearances set up, i plan on putting in a complete (99% accurate) chronological list of animal man's appearances.

1. Location is where they are from, i.e. Batman is Gotham, Superman is Metropolis, etc.

2. Currently it will pull the latest pic, or the oldest as their avatar. I might need to eventually make it sticky so we can choose the "best" one.

3. The appearances tab only displays the information that is entered when indexing individual issues. So if you have been adding him to each book that he is in, and setting a cover date for that book, then once I pull the info out of the database for display it should all work.

• Posted: August 11, 2008 8:57:23 am
  • dough boy said:

1. Location is where they are from, i.e. Batman is Gotham, Superman is Metropolis, etc.

2. Currently it will pull the latest pic, or the oldest as their avatar. I might need to eventually make it sticky so we can choose the "best" one.

3. The appearances tab only displays the information that is entered when indexing individual issues. So if you have been adding him to each book that he is in, and setting a cover date for that book, then once I pull the info out of the database for display it should all work.

1. that's what i thought but wanted to make sure.

2. yeah, i was hoping that the profile pic was seperate from the others.
    or at least used the 1st 1 submitted.
    oh well.

3. oh, ok, that's how it's gonna work.
    i am still working on indexing all of animal man's appearances.
    but going by the cover dates doesn't necessarilly make it in chronological order.
  • Posted: August 11, 2008 9:01:15 am
  • Are there any legal issues with copying character biographies straight from Wikipedia?
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
41 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Absolute Power: Task Force VII Issue # 1f
  • Marvel Comics's Phoenix Issue # 1k
  • Image Comics's Precious Metal Issue # 2b
  • Marvel Comics's X-men '97 Issue # 3 - 2nd print