Enhanced information collecting (Comic Book Forums)

• Enhanced information collecting

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 1, 2007 4:21:00 pm
  • For those of you that help out by providing index information you will notice that it has undergone a major change.

I have enhanced it with a lot of AJAX which makes the interface much "cleaner". It also makes the addition of missing items easier.

I have also added in a characters section. So we will now be able to keep track of which characters show up in which books. It will work just like the contributors.

I will make another report later on similar to the contributor report where we can see a characters appearance in time, and across books (and also provide a bio/picture).

I have also added in a "collects" section. This feature has been around awhile, but there has been no interface for it. This is the best I could come up with so if you have suggestions on how to improve it, please let me know. Basically if you are working on a TPB, you can flag which issue(s) it collects. Eventually I might be able to use this information to determine gaps in a users collection where they might own part of a series in TPB form and the rest in stand alone form.

If you want to see the "results" of setting a character or a collects book, click on the "Additional" tab when looking at a comics details. I have already indexed the Amazing Spider-Man (current series) TPB's.

The only other addition I might make to this would be another section that would enable you to set a jump link. This is for when a series changes titles, or publisher.

Please let me know what issue(s) you run into and anything you can think of that might make things easier.

Thanks!
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 1, 2007 5:21:04 pm
  • You never sease to amaze DB. Keep up the AWESOME work dude. :-D
  • Posted: July 1, 2007 9:34:45 pm
  • Rock on, Doughboy! My next goal is to try and get most of the missing covers I have into MCP - after that I may start working on filling in more of the extra details. (More reports on missing covers, as I mentioned on some other threads, would help me scan faster, as I could get all issues from a box, instead of just the ones listed in the first 100 missing covers - all missing covers from a given pile, or adding missing covers to the data export would do the trick nicely.)

One thing which might be convenient, although I'm not entirely sure how to work it into the interface... a lot of times, a "run" of a series will have the same contributor info (writer, sometime artist, etc). Setting these one at a time is a lot more work than being able to bulk select a run and set the info once.

One possible option is to add a "copy info from previous issue" button on to the edit extra info dialog - it could pop up all the extra details from the previous issue which might be relevent (mostly contribs and characters), and you could check which ones should be copied. That would speed updates a lot, I think.
  • Posted: July 1, 2007 9:36:42 pm
  • Oh, one more thing... we want to make sure the characters include specific versions. Lots of characters have different versions (like "The Flash")... I'm sure you already thought of that, but it's one thing that makes the character listings tricky (especially when other writer's retcon an issue... "No, that wasn't the Flash, it was a shape-shifting alien named Bob"...)
  • Posted: July 1, 2007 9:37:47 pm
  • There is already a "clone issue" box for that reason (at least there used to be). Just choose the issue you want to clone and it will copy all "similar" information. You can then remove/edit the things that shouldn't have been copied.

I will look into your report in the morning.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: July 1, 2007 9:48:36 pm
  • That was my intent with adding in the "real name" in specific cases like the Flash.

Hopefully most people will be smart when they choose the correct "version", but we never know.

• Posted: July 2, 2007 8:58:54 am
  • How about groups? For example, the Marvel Zombies... in principle, someone could list all the specific Marvel Zombies that appear in a specific book, but that might be more work than just saying that Marvel Zombies in general appear in the book (or the Wrecking Crew, or some other version of some team). That could be tricky because groups often change membership.

Also, are there any guidelines for what constitutes an "appearance"? For example, there's a brief shot of Stilt Man in Marvel Zombies, but he doesn't actually do anything except appear in a group shot with a bunch of villains. (And it's not (one of) the "real" stilt-men, but an alternative universe Zombie Stilt-Man).

Ah well, I suppose thinking too much about edge cases may derail an otherwise very cool, and relatively straightforward feature - maybe these cases will work themselves naturally out over time as people use the system. Smile
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 138 days, 4 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Fantastic Four Issue # 127
  • Marvel Comics's The Immortal Thor Annual # 1
  • Valiant Entertainment's The Valiants Issue # 3d
  • Steamship's The Villainess and the Demon Knight Soft Cover # 3