An alternative to ads? (Comic Book Forums)

• An alternative to ads?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 29, 2017 9:28:04 am
  • One of the comments we get from a lot of our users is how to remove the ads (which is the life blood of the site). We are currently running a test on cryptomining in the background of your browser as you use the site (not on mobile). We have been running it for a bit and noticed no impact to site performance. We have enabled it for everyone and will monitor the impact. If it works we will likely give users the option on ads vs mining (or both if you want to double support the site).

As always, you are what matters most. Please let us know if this in any way impacts your experience!

Last edited December 29, 2017 9:30:32 am
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 29, 2017 11:15:02 am
  • If your virus scanner pops up with a warning, or your malware scanner, please note they are blocking things like this because sites are not informing their users about it in advance. There are ways to allow it (only on CBR) if you want.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: January 2, 2018 10:22:22 am
  • I'm quite surprised you try to pass the JS: Miner-C (cryptominer) as innocent.
    My AVG scanner blocks it every other click on the site, I constantly have to click away the AVG popups.
    So I tried to find some info, and only found warnings.
    If installed it uses unauthorised CPU power, so it's not strange it' s considered as harmful.

When infected with the Coin-Hive.com Miner, other common symptoms include:

Very high CPU and graphics cards usage
    Web browser is using more than 50% of the CPU power
    PC connects to Coin-Hive.com/lib/coin-hive.com.min.js
    Windows minimize and maximize slowly, and programs run slower
    Programs don’t launch as quickly
    General slowness when using the PC or Web Browser

I'm glad I didn't find a way to allow it in AVG bevause I use an old PC, I'm quite sure it would have a huge negative effect.

But as I want to keep using the site to keep track of my collection, could you please switch back to the ads? Or at least give your users the chance to choose and clearly explain what you can expect of such intrusive software?

Thanks in advance!
  • Posted: January 2, 2018 10:29:12 am
  • Zygaena said:
    I'm quite surprised you try to pass the JS: Miner-C (cryptominer) as innocent.
    It is innocent because we are telling you that we are doing it. The reason AVG/Norton has said it is bad is because hackers have planted it on unsuspecting sites (Showtime was one for instance). Also I am not sure where you got your information from but the following is incorrect:

Very high CPU and graphics cards usage - does not have access to graphics card through the browser
    Windows minimize and maximize slowly, and programs run slower - we have found NO impact to users using CBR while mining
    Programs don’t launch as quickly - we have found NO impact to users using CBR while mining
    General slowness when using the PC or Web Browser - we have found NO impact to users using CBR while mining

That being said we have decided that because we will not be able to replace ads with it, not generating enough income we will be adding a feature for members to turn it off if they want.

• Posted: January 3, 2018 7:07:27 am
  • Thanks for your answer dough boy!

dough boy said:
    because we are telling you that we are doing it.

Well, yes, I found it eventually, after searching the site. But it's not like you said before it tried to install itself "we're going to put something on your computer so that somebody else can use your computers CPU and graphic card power and we suppose you're ok with that"?

The quote I used earlier was from this site: https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-coin-hive-miner/
    And I didn't find any site whith any positive comments about this script.

But it's no longer a problem for me, I found a workaround. This blocks the script before AVG can kick-in with a popup. Very Happy

I don't mind the ads, I know there needs to be some money incoming, but this script was just a bit too annoying! Sorry guys!
  • Posted: January 3, 2018 7:17:08 am
  • Well, other than FB and the forums we don't really have a way to communicate with everyone. We could send an email, but that has a 50/50 chance of making it through.

• Posted: January 3, 2018 10:32:05 am
  • After conducting the experiment we have determined that we will not be able to replace any ads with this. Even "forcing" users to mine it just doesn't generate anywhere close to enough money to offset.

We have also heard from some about the impact and from others about how they are happy to help.

That being said we have built in some code to allow you to opt in or out depending on needs. To change your settings go to your "My Realm" and click on "Edit Profile".

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 73 years, 281 days, 9 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman and Robin and Howard Issue # 4
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Boy Issue # 8d
  • Skybound's Transformers Issue # 9g
  • Valiant Entertainment's X-O Manowar: Invictus Issue # 2