Updated Contributor Section (Comic Book Forums)

• Updated Contributor Section

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 16, 2007 9:13:43 am
  • I have redone the contributor works report to show A LOT more information about each person. You can now see each book they have worked on, all books they have worked on, and even a history of books they have worked on in chronological order.

You can even see information about each person, i.e. age, hometown, biography, website, a picture, and their signature.

In addition this also means that there are now more points to be earned. I have set the "text" info on each contributor at 10 points each, and a picture and signature at 25 points each. Thus for each contributor there is the possibility of 90 points.

For some complete examples please see:

J. Scott Campbell
    Joe Quesada

Please let me know if there is anything else you might like to see on this.

I will probably add in the covers (i.e. so you can see status, and submit from here as well), but I just wanted to get it made available.

This update should be on all servers within 1 hour.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: May 16, 2007 9:39:49 am
  • thanks
    Darrin Niday
    Des Moines, IA
  • Posted: June 18, 2007 11:34:47 pm
  • This is pretty cool.

I'm not entirely sure about "hometown"... is this the city they were born in, or the city they were raised in, or the city they've lived the last 50 years of their life? Is it too subjective a concept?

For me, there are two missing pieces.

1) Since I'm a fan of intertwingling, I'd suggest a link to Wikipedia, if one exists. This will likely have lots more info, and many comic books creators have respectable pages there. Brian Reed, for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Reed

2) Email address. Lots of authors actually respond to email from fans, and have public email addresses. For example, brian reed's is brianreed@gmail.com (it's on his home page, and I've exchanged emails with him).
  • Posted: June 19, 2007 7:15:14 am
  • Should the link to Wikipedia be their website URL? If not, could it go into the description? Same for the e-mail address. I am not sure how many will actually publish their e-mail address (not that they won't correspond, but just to cut down on SPAM.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 19, 2007 8:06:01 am
  • Good questions. Most of the ones I checked had contact info on their website, but sometimes they were obfuscated in different ways to minimize spambot scraping. So maybe they wouldn't want them in a database where they might be more easily scraped. Fair enough.

Regarding Wikipedia links, if the contributor has their own home page, that should probably still get precedence (for instance the wikipedia articles generally will not have contact info, although they do generally point to the contributor's home page, if there is one).

I really like the way MusicBrainz handles things, where you can attach loads of extra data to artists, albums, or tracks, and they have large tables describing what the relationship is (for example, there are Wikipedia links, homepage links, fanpage links, Blog links, etc). It's probably a bit overkill for what you've got here, but you might want to take a look sometime to see how they set it up. (Basically there's an extra table of defined relationships, which is not publicly editable, but can only be changed by special moderators - to limit how many relationships there are.)

In my own opinion (nothing more), the Wikipedia articles tend to be good enough that they would merit an entry separate from the author's home page. Anything past those two could probably be skipped for now, although I can imagine other people having different opinions (happens all the time on MusicBrainz).
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Dark Horse Comics's Captain Momo's Secret Base Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Fantastic Four Issue # 117
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 53diamond/sdcc
  • Magma Comix's The Scale Trade Issue # 3