feature requests

Your thoughts on a CBR.com ad (Comic Book Forums)

• Your thoughts on a CBR.com ad

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 25, 2012 6:43:45 pm
  • So I need an ad that will appear in various places (and can be used for a flyer). Please look at the poll below and cast your vote. Also let me know if you like one, but would like it a little different.

http://99designs.com/postcard-flyer-design/vote-7tdp58
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 26, 2012 12:48:08 pm
  • Like #21 by One Day Graphics...shows some areas of interest on the site.Cool

DB...is that you in your alter-ego of "Fearless Leader"? Laughing
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #58
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) #2
    Crisis on Infinite Earths DC/Wal-Mart 100-pg Giant

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: August 26, 2012 2:24:21 pm
  • I like number 15.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: August 26, 2012 10:03:43 pm
  • Don of the DED said:
    I like number 15.

Same here. The one with three screen grabs was nice too.
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 7:15:46 am
  • 15 and 20. Not too busy and has all the right info.
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 7:36:33 am
  • Make sure you guys are placing your votes with the respective ads as well...I will be going by the consensus there.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: August 27, 2012 9:20:30 am
  • FYI - And by votes, DB means "Stars".
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 27, 2012 11:30:23 am
  • 15 and 21 are my favorites
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 12:38:25 pm
  • voted done and done it was a toss between 15 and 21
    You build your collection one book at a time and day by day it seem to stay the same. Then one day KA BLAM it gotten out of control. Thanks mom I love you.

" I'm not insane, my mom had me tested." Sheldon BIG BANG THEORY
    " Holy on a CRACKER" Pennie BIG BANG THEORY

http://www.comixcon.com/
    http://www.kenmore-komics.com/
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 12:52:10 pm
  • So it looks like people like #15, and the screens from #21. I can probably have them put 2 screens in the lower corners of #15.

Should I stick with the "we already pay too much for comics, why pay to keep track of them" slogan?

• Posted: August 27, 2012 12:57:12 pm
  • If you're going to add the screen shots you may want to make that slogan smaller, if you don't get rid of it.

Are you going to have problems using Alpha Flight characters? Disney may come after you. Laughing

• Posted: August 27, 2012 1:08:52 pm
  • I'd say there is too much space being used for the Alpha Flight characters. If you make that a little smaller and bump up everything from "25,000 members strong", you can probably have more room for the screens.

100% free or anything else like that in the slogan is perfect because that is what CBR prides itself on being and would be a "selling" point to potential visitors. So I like the slogan the way it is
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 3:02:06 pm
  • dough boy said:

Should I stick with the "we already pay too much for comics, why pay to keep track of them" slogan?

I'd remove the "We already pay too much", sounds negative and we don't anyone thinking negative thoughts, just positive.

I would emphasize the free price guide and somehow tell people it's updated, that's the feature that drew me here. I needed prices and other sites I had to sign up to even look. But in an ad you may be hard pressed to do much more than "Free".

Maybe "Free up-to-date' except there could be comics not up to date, so then it's important people know they can help keep it up to date. I'm not helping I guess so I'll shut up now Smile
  • Posted: August 27, 2012 10:19:45 pm
  • Done!
  • Posted: August 28, 2012 10:32:07 am
  • I kind of agree with Abyss. When I first saw the "We already pay too much for comics..." I thought it seemed kinda negative too. I get the point your trying to get across, but I wonder if there isnt a more positive way to emphasize it.
  • Posted: August 28, 2012 11:17:06 am
  • Tex75455 said:
    I kind of agree with Abyss. When I first saw the "We already pay too much for comics..." I thought it seemed kinda negative too. I get the point your trying to get across, but I wonder if there isnt a more positive way to emphasize it.

How about "Paying too much..." or "Do you feel you're..."? Think
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...

?

• Posted: August 28, 2012 11:54:45 am
  • bookwoim2 said:
    Tex75455 said:
    I kind of agree with Abyss. When I first saw the "We already pay too much for comics..." I thought it seemed kinda negative too. I get the point your trying to get across, but I wonder if there isnt a more positive way to emphasize it.

I think just saying something like "Track your comics for FREE" is good enough. Also mention the FREE update-able price guide. Then show a screen shot of the prices, maybe a pile, and then a report or something ...or the shot of the report options.
  • Posted: August 28, 2012 12:03:23 pm
  • abysslord said:
    bookwoim2 said:
    Tex75455 said:

I think just saying something like "Track your comics for FREE" is good enough. Also mention the FREE update-able price guide. Then show a screen shot of the prices, maybe a pile, and then a report or something ...or the shot of the report options.

Good idea...Cool
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...

?

• Posted: August 28, 2012 1:54:54 pm
  • Canuck said:
    Are you going to have problems using Alpha Flight characters? Disney may come after you. Laughing
    Are those alphaflight characters? I told everyone I couldn't use licensed characters and this artist said it was royalty free...

• Posted: August 28, 2012 3:03:02 pm
  • I see Shaman, Guardian, Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird Laughing all Alpha Flight
  • Posted: August 28, 2012 3:04:20 pm
  • Maybe it is royalty free because it is canada. Twisted Evil

• Posted: August 28, 2012 3:05:13 pm
  • Sure look like Alpha Flight characters

• Posted: August 28, 2012 3:06:40 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Maybe it is royalty free because it is canada. Twisted Evil

Good luck with that Laughing

• Posted: August 28, 2012 3:11:26 pm
  • puinno said:
    I see Shaman, Guardian, Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird Laughing all Alpha Flight

I think you could argue the green face is Marrina, and the guy in glasses is Walter (Sasquatch)

• Posted: August 28, 2012 10:34:27 pm
  • I agree with the above thoughts on just saying "CBR is Free" rather than "we already pay too much for comics..." etc.

In terms of Alpha Flight, I would definitely check up on that and be careful. Im sure Marvel is pretty serious about their IP rights.
  • Posted: August 29, 2012 7:06:33 am
  • Which of these would you prefer? What changes would make it better? (I like the Alpha Flight one, but I cannot us it, and I don't know how it would look with "custom" heroes). Which of these do you like?

• Posted: August 29, 2012 7:09:41 am
  • I think I like #4 best with the following changes:

1. Lose the "Previews" monitor and make the other two (showing database and graphs) a little bigger
    2. Change bubble to "Don't pay to track your collection"
    3. Change "Track Your Collection" to "Track Your Collection For Free"
    4. I kind of like the bubble letters better from #1 than what is in #4

• Posted: August 29, 2012 8:04:47 am
  • dough boy said:
    I think I like #4 best with the following changes:

1. Lose the "Previews" monitor and make the other two (showing database and graphs) a little bigger
    2. Change bubble to "Don't pay to track your collection"
    3. Change "Track Your Collection" to "Track Your Collection For Free"
    4. I kind of like the bubble letters better from #1 than what is in #4

I agree with all these. One thing I would change is that we have two comicbookrealm.com on these ads. We could probably get rid of the one that is not our logo. The only one I see where they both could work is in #2 because one is at the top and one is at the bottom. But when they are right next to each other then it is a waste.
  • Posted: August 29, 2012 8:08:26 am
  • I liked #3 but #4 is good with your changes, although I think the three screen grabs should be same size.

Only other thing is maybe throw in under "100% Free" [including price guide] or something. Nothing in the ad tells you that explicitly that your collection is tracked WITH price, as opposed to just creating a database of your comics. I guess that middle screen grab shows prices though, maybe that's enough.

Last edited August 29, 2012 8:09:19 am
  • Posted: August 29, 2012 8:11:24 am
  • Good suggestions..."100% Free Price Guide"

I think the reason they have it twice is because it makes it clear what the URL is. The logo might indicate there are spaces present. I can have them tweak the second to make it "clearer". I.e. for #4 "visit us at comicbookrealm.com".

• Posted: August 29, 2012 8:18:13 am
  • dough boy said:
    Good suggestions..."100% Free Price Guide"

I think the reason they have it twice is because it makes it clear what the URL is. The logo might indicate there are spaces present. I can have them tweak the second to make it "clearer". I.e. for #4 "visit us at comicbookrealm.com".

I like that idea Whistle
  • Posted: August 29, 2012 8:58:29 am
  • I like #4 as well.
    The only other thing I would change that hasn't been suggested is get rid of the "fist"...you could use this space for another balloon or screen shot. Or if possible have him holding up a handful of comics (fanned out) in his hand.
    You also have space for more balloons so make use of the space to get your point across. With saying things like be able to track all those variants or can't find something let us know and it will be added as you're part of the community etc....
    Things to that effect.

Last edited August 29, 2012 9:08:01 am

• Posted: September 1, 2012 7:45:48 pm
  • Please make last minute critiques of these two options. One has the hand...the other doesn't.

• Posted: September 1, 2012 8:58:37 pm
  • W/o hand. Looks great!
  • Posted: September 2, 2012 12:13:39 am
  • Im opposite, i like the one without the hand, seems less threateing.g
  • Posted: September 2, 2012 1:39:50 am
  • Tex75455 said:
    Im opposite, i like the one without the hand, seems less threateing.g

w/o = without ;)
  • Posted: September 2, 2012 7:04:09 am
  • The 1 with the hand grabs your attention.

Move logo to top of page and leave standard block cbr.c at bottom
  • Posted: September 2, 2012 10:48:29 am
  • Yup, sorry abyss, apparently I cant read...

Yes, agree with Abyss, without hand
  • Posted: September 2, 2012 8:15:59 pm
  • I prefer the one without the hand.
  • Posted: September 3, 2012 8:49:09 pm
  • I like the one without the hand.
    Maybe add another balloon/saying on the side the hand is once you remove it to balance it out.

• Posted: September 28, 2012 12:09:32 pm
  • Wow, I graded all of them kinda of late. The one most of you like I feel is one of the bottom half of the eight I previewed.

The one without the hand is the one I prefer. More red to catch eye, plus I'm not wondering what I did wrong because he is pointing at me, but instead feel like he is offering me a great opportunity.

The Red catches your eyes against the bright background. After that, you want the viewer to read the information.

I will add, of all the critique's, one aspect that I felt was a must is to have the User Interface. Also, its easy to read and understand.

Over all Great Ad! Not first choice, but will indeed serve its purpose regardless of which one you choose.

*edit: <--- Dork Kant Spell!

Last edited September 28, 2012 12:10:34 pm
    I celebrate myself, And what I assume you shall assume. For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. -Walt Whitman
41 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's DC Universe by Dwayne McDuffie  Hard Cover # 1
  • Bad Dog Books's Fang Soft Cover # 9
  • DC Comics's Green Arrow Issue # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Punk: Arms Race Issue # 2d