New Job (Comic Book Forums)

• New Job

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 13, 2012 2:56:51 pm
  • dough boy said:
    abysslord said:
    What are the big differences? My title is Programming Analyst but it's basically programming and all the that comes with it .... i.e. filling out test documents, deployment papers, etc. bullshit work.

Are you not going to code anymore?
    I might do some coding at the new place, but the bulk of my coding will now be done on my side projects/business.

I will basically work with the client to get their requirements, translate for the developers by including wire frames, logic flow, etc.

I think that's what I'm going to be doing at my new group. Gather requirements, give estimates, but I think I'll be coding too. I hate that document stuff.
  • Posted: June 14, 2012 9:39:37 am
  • Big Gratz, DB! Did it come with the standard 15% bump? Or is the recession affecting that also?

Toughest thing about my prior job (retired last year) was that they forced me to stop coding and just manage my staff. Phooey! But I still had a couple key items I maintained because few others could touch it. Not sure if it too complicated or just confusing... This was mostly SQL, never really trained in Windows, etc. I miss the coding and may put something in Craigslist to do piecework for a local company - but I won't pay too much to do it. ;-)
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: June 14, 2012 10:50:45 am
  • Salary wise it was an even shift. However, benefits wise it is a big bump.

Health Insurance is $150 cheaper a month
    401k match (4% on 5% with immediate vesting)
    Profit Sharing
    Bonus (usually starts out around 15%)
    No more 1% earnings tax
    and the biggest thing is that it is 15 minutes closer to home, and I can spend some more time with the kids.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 14, 2012 12:14:14 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Salary wise it was an even shift. However, benefits wise it is a big bump.

Health Insurance is $150 cheaper a month
    401k match (4% on 5% with immediate vesting)
    Profit Sharing
    Bonus (usually starts out around 15%)
    No more 1% earnings tax
    and the biggest thing is that it is 15 minutes closer to home, and I can spend some more time with the kids.

Hmmm, sounds like maybe it was better than a 15% bump with the bumps in bennies!
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: June 14, 2012 12:39:10 pm
  • Congrats on new job
  • Posted: June 20, 2012 4:28:48 pm
  • Congrats DB! Applause
    Latest additions
    Avengers #31, #46, #99, #145-159, #161-164, #197, #200, Annual #6
    Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #7
    Forbidden Worlds #76
    Strange Tales #118, #124, #133, #139, #140
    Journey Into Mystery #125
  • Posted: June 20, 2012 5:32:43 pm
  • Wow, when you guys were talking about your jobs, its like you were speaking a different language. I dont even know what half those words mean. savy tech people... my sisters one of those, but me, I dont get it.

I was wonderin, Dough Boy, how you had the knowledge to start this site, but now its startin to make sense. This is what you do.
  • Posted: July 11, 2012 4:15:35 pm
  • Congrats. Good to hear. always good to hear.
    “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

---EINSTEIN
  • Posted: July 11, 2012 7:12:46 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    I was wonderin, Dough Boy, how you had the knowledge to start this site, but now its startin to make sense. This is what you do.
    Yeah...programming is/was my day job. At first I created my own database in Access...then after I was pretty far along I was like "I do this for a living...why am I not doing it on the web".

So I built the first version for me. A little while later a coworker at the time had some comics and he asked if he could use it too...so some modifications later and it was working for unlimited. Now it is just incremental adds here and there.

I would love to give the front end an overhaul...it is on my long range plans.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 11, 2012 7:24:48 pm
  • Well, youve clearly done an awesome job. Ever since I joined I've enjoyed watching the membership climb by a few members every day. Its a steady climb.

The site is awesome, congrats.
26 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.'s Edgar Rice Burroughs Authorized Library Hard Cover # 22
  • Marvel Comics's X-Men Issue # 187b
  • Marvel Comics's X-Men Issue # 196b
  • Marvel Comics's X-Men: Legacy Issue # 208b