feature requests

The larger we get...the slower we get (Comic Book Forums)

• The larger we get...the slower we get

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 9:58:44 am
  • So we have had some brief downtime the last few days and I have been able to figure out that it is because people have thousands of comics in a given pile. These queries are taking super long to run (and lock the database up).

When the site was built it wasn't built with the mindset that people wouldn't create piles, and that piles would be treated more like boxes. One individuals collection has the following:

Master Pile 5,158
    Completed Sets 4,668
    One-Shots 343
    Grade and Price 35
    Possibly Sold 53
    Robotech And Anime 265

Another one has this:

Master Pile 53,429

If anyone clicks on these large piles the database essentially locks up for everyone else. If the site is really busy that means that it can overwhelm everything else and essentially shut the site down.

Do I make it where if you share your collection piles that have more than X comics will not be shared? Do I make it where you cannot enter more than X comics into a given pile? Do I make it where piles are not shared, and instead just the publisher list and the series list are (this might be the best bet)?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Last edited April 10, 2012 10:02:56 am
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 11:12:39 am
  • i admit, i am guilty of this.
    i am reorganizing everything so i threw it all into the master pile until i get my boxes straightened out.
    i will get a move on fixing this.
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 11:26:54 am
  • I am guilty of this aswell, i have just started adding my collection to the site and used the master pile as a catch all. I will def start moving them into Boxes
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 11:53:16 am
  • Maybe put a ceiling limit on the amount that someone can put into a pile? If they hit that limit then they would have to create a new pile?
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 12:09:14 pm
  • Pleading guilty to this situation, too...Embarassedwill do my best to clean up & organize "my realm" better...Angel

puinno said:
    Maybe put a ceiling limit on the amount that someone can put into a pile? If they hit that limit then they would have to create a new pile?

Like this idea...Cool
    Pick-ups this month
    The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol.3) #2 (Midtown-B) x2
    Superman Giant #1 (CGC 9.Cool
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #83

On the way...
    Superman Giant #7 (CGC 9.Cool

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: April 10, 2012 12:39:55 pm
  • My problem with that is what is a "max"? i.e. you want all of your ASM's in one pile, etc.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: April 10, 2012 12:51:11 pm
  • So you're saying more piles are better as long as they're smaller?
    If so then you would still need a pretty high number for say a box that has All Superman or All X-men.
    As of now I have mine listed in a 1 pile/collection.
    I've been thinking of going though my collection and resorting it according to title...just not looking forward to it.
    As for the Max...guess that is for you to decide, based on what you think the system can handle without freezing up. Once you decide on a number then it will be up to us to break down our collections to fit it.

Last edited April 10, 2012 1:16:53 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 10, 2012 1:22:15 pm
  • No matter what the original idea was, it seems intuitive that these piles are just ways to organize your collection in whatever way you want. So if someone has 30,000 Marvel comics and wants that to be a pile they should be allowed to do so.

So if the problem is then that OTHER people looking at that slows things down, then I think your "best bet" option is the best bet. If I look at Joe Smith's collection I shouldn't need to know how he organized them ... and in fact that would make it harder for me to see if he had a specific comic.
  • Posted: April 10, 2012 1:27:26 pm
  • Yeah the simplest way would be not to let other people view your collection. If you want to sell something put it in a sell pile for buyers to view.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 10, 2012 2:21:52 pm
  • abysslord said:
    So if the problem is then that OTHER people looking at that slows things down, then I think your "best bet" option is the best bet. If I look at Joe Smith's collection I shouldn't need to know how he organized them ... and in fact that would make it harder for me to see if he had a specific comic.
    I have already done this...made it where your piles are shown (so people can see how you sorted your collection, but they cannot click on them). They can only view by Publisher/Series.

Of course the problem is how do you now tell someone check out my X pile as it is for sale if they can't click on the links anymore?

As far as grouping by publisher, there is already reporting for that...as well as by series. The piles should be a general representation of where the book is located.

Last edited April 10, 2012 2:25:54 pm

50 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 307 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Aspen Entertainment's Fathom Issue # 2b
  • Vertigo's Goddess Mode Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Vader - Dark Visions Issue # 5b
  • Cave Pictures Publishing's The Blessed Machine Issue # 4