Jerry Robinson Creator of the Joker Passes Away (Comic Book Forums)

• Jerry Robinson Creator of the Joker Passes Away

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 8, 2011 2:15:56 pm
  • Jerry Robinson, a pioneer of the comics form best known by fans for creating the Joker but also praised for his work as a comics historian and creator rights advocate, has died at age 89.

Robinson was born in Trenton, New Jersey. He was discovered by Batman creator Bob Kane when Kane noticed the 17 year old wearing a jacket decorated with comic art and inquired as to who did the work. He started working on Batman in 1939 with both Kane and Bill Finger. Robinson co-created Robin and was the main creative influence behind Two-Face and Alfred. He is known for creating Batman’s most formidable archrival the Joker.

Robinson was hired by DC Comics where he served as a staff artist working on numerous cover and other art at DC. He is known for creating some of the most visually striking covers while working at DC Comics.

Robinson was also a comic historian and ambassador for artist’s rights. He along with artist Neal Adams sought to obtain the proper credit for Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for their creation of Superman. His interests helped to create a better awareness of the comic medium with colleges and universities noting it as an area of study. In 1974 he wrote one of the earliest books of the comic strip artform titled “The Comics”.

Over the years he was a noted guest at numerous comic conventions and events. He was appreciated and adored by comic fans and it was common to see numerous fans lining up to meet him or to hear him speak at convention panels. Robinson also served as a consultant and he curated comic exhibits. He also severed as a consultant for Christopher Nolan’s Batman film.

RIP JERRY
    Crying or Very sad tt

Last edited December 8, 2011 2:16:26 pm
    You build your collection one book at a time and day by day it seem to stay the same. Then one day KA BLAM it gotten out of control. Thanks mom I love you.

" I'm not insane, my mom had me tested." Sheldon BIG BANG THEORY
    " Holy on a CRACKER" Pennie BIG BANG THEORY

http://www.comixcon.com/
    http://www.kenmore-komics.com/
  • Posted: December 8, 2011 3:51:07 pm
  • ya i saw that on a couple other sites Crying or Very sad sad sad day
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Blackbox Comics's Bio-Mechs Issue # 3
  • E.C. Publications, Inc.'s MAD Magazine Issue # 1facsimile
  • Oni Press's Rick and Morty TPB # 1
  • Essential Sequential's The Ryan Stegman Sketchbook Issue # 1