Site Spammer(s) (Comic Book Forums)

• Site Spammer(s)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 4, 2011 7:39:41 pm
  • Ok...So we have people (from Asia) who think it is a good idea to create an account and then blog , or post in the forums. I already prevent automated registrations...but there is no way I can programatically stop a human from completing the registration process.

I can try to do one of several things.

1. I can try to block all "foreigners" from a country. This is overkill an can prevent legitimate people from participating. This would be a last resort, but they could just go through a hijacked computer in a non-blocked country.
    2. I can make it where new registrants cannot do any public posting for some period of time. The problem with this is if someone has a legitimate reason to blog/post in the forums they cannot. Another problem is that a spammer could just create an account and lay dormant until the time period has passed.
    3. I could make it that all items have to be approved to be posted. This would require more work...but obviously trusted individuals wouldn't have the delay. But again, there is nothing preventing the spammer from becoming trusted.

Ultimately I am at a loss for what to do...please let me know if you have any thoughts.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 4, 2011 7:51:53 pm
  • you can make it so new users would have to get their posts approved by mods before they can actually post. after a certain amount of posts a mod would "upgrade" the user so that their posts would not have to get approval. amount of posts before the upgrade would be at your discretion or that of the mods Think
  • Posted: December 5, 2011 9:44:58 am
  • Option #3. You can't worry about the fact that anyone can turn into a spammer .... if they do, you delete them. But at least this way a spammer will have to work harder and may decide it's not worth it.

• Posted: December 5, 2011 11:21:02 am
  • abysslord said:
    Option #3. You can't worry about the fact that anyone can turn into a spammer .... if they do, you delete them. But at least this way a spammer will have to work harder and may decide it's not worth it.

I like this one, but it does involve more work for you. Sad It sounds simple, but sometimes simple works best.
  • Posted: December 6, 2011 11:30:38 am
  • I agree with Abysslord. With all the blogs that come through this forum, it would create a ton of work for the moderators.
  • Posted: December 6, 2011 2:00:45 pm
  • You could also block posts based on the point system.

Example only users with 1,000+ points earned in their profile can post on the forums.
  • Posted: December 6, 2011 2:10:10 pm
  • I vote #3 even though it would be more work in the long run. Would this be the case for only new members? I don't believe that I've ever used the blog feature, but if I did, I wouldn't want it to be a chore to do so.
    ~sporterX
  • Posted: December 6, 2011 7:56:39 pm
  • How about you have a very easy skill testing question(s)... multiple choice, that anybody that's into comics should be able to answer. That way if they don't know the answers and aren't into comics they can't be bothered to google the answer., but a person that's into comics and wants to be here and doesn't know an answer will go and find it. Does that make sense? or is it just me.Eh?
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 27, 2011 12:40:58 am
  • I know I haven't been here in awhile,

But my personal opinion, being biased. My family story to sum it up is RCA -Mom16 y/rs old (Thompsons Consumer Electronics) , my mom worked there for 40 yrs, a few years from retirement. I also worked therefor four over years

Sent tp China

My fathers job at Essex Wire was also sent to china over 10 yrs ago!!

So I'm bias I'm sorry but
    I think it should be done in america
    What's yours is mine, what's mine is mine Too. If you shake my hand better count your fingers!

• Posted: December 27, 2011 1:28:10 am
  • I do not see how the previous post has anything to do with the topic.
    That post seems to be an obvious example of the SPAM that needs to be kept off CBR.
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Skybound's G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Issue # 308east side
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek Issue # 22c
  • IDW Publishing's The Rocketeer: Breaks Free Issue # 1
  • IDW Publishing's The Rocketeer: Breaks Free Issue # 1d