Can you PLEASE get rid of that irritating Toshiba pop up ad? (Comic Book Forums)

  • Can you PLEASE get rid of that irritating Toshiba pop-up ad?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 12:23:51 pm

  • That drop down Toshiba ad that pops up every time I come here is irritating as . Can you PLEASE get rid of it? Mad

    I don't mind banner ads on sites because it helps pay the bills (I even click on some). But when ads become intrusive and disruptive to my using the site, it REALLY ticks me off to the point where I may stop frequenting that site.

    Thank you.

    Last edited September 8, 2011 12:26:35 pm
    CLASSIC SIGNED COMICS ON EBAY! http://bit.ly/vCaTGQ
    Image
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 1:02:53 pm
  • i second this complaint Brick wall Toshiba ad is really really annoying
    Image
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 1:30:49 pm
  • i completely agree, it is soooooooooo annoying, i have to refresh everytime it comes up otherwise i cant do anything...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    New Additions:
    Uncanny X-Men #221 - CGC 9.4 Signed by Claremont
    Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8 - CGC 8.5 Custom Label
    Spider-Gwen #25 2nd Print - CGC 9.8
    Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham #1 - CGC 9.2 1st Ducktor Doom

    Son of Satan #1
    Fantastic Four #211 (1st Terrax)
    Transformers: Generation 2 #1 Newsstand Edition
    Carnage: Mind Bomb #1
    Venom: The Enemy Within #1 Newsstand Edition
    Felicia Hardy: Black Cat #1 Newsstand Edition

  • Posted: September 8, 2011 1:34:46 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    i completely agree, it is soooooooooo annoying, i have to refresh everytime it comes up otherwise i cant do anything...

    I punch at the X button to close it but it takes a few tries.

    They added those irritating drop down ads on IMDB.com a while back but so many users screamed about it they stopped.
    CLASSIC SIGNED COMICS ON EBAY! http://bit.ly/vCaTGQ
    Image
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 1:41:20 pm
  • stuff like that me off with advertising. Sure i understand I have to tolerate your ads being all over every website on the internet...but when it starts to interfere with what I am doing. there should be a line drawn somewhere...do advertisements have no limitations?
    Image
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 2:39:36 pm
  • I guess I don't see the harm in 1 ad appearing 1 time during your browser session to the site? It is not like it appears every page load. If you come to the site once a day, you get the ad once a day. If you come to the site 500 times a day in a new browser window then you would get the ad 500 times.

    I have been told that the ad campaign is done on the 25th. Maybe I can work with the ad network and "reward" people that are lifetime members by not showing it, but the problem is that frankly most people don't donate to the site and I have to get money from where I can. , I would love to be ad free and have 18,000 people paying $10 a year...but we all know that would never happen.

    For what it is worth I get the same treatment you guys do and believe me I have removed some faster than you even see them. If this was an ad that appeared every time, or every x page view it wouldn't be here.

    Just don't close the browser/tab that you open CBR.com in and you won't see the ad anymore.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

    Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 5:27:17 pm
  • I don't even have a clue what you're talking about, so I guess the ad is region specific?
    Currently Reading:
    Graphic Novels: Nightwing (90s series), Lumberjanes
    Regular Novels: Chronicles of Prydain

    Add me on Goodreads
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 5:34:12 pm
  • It could be. Basically it is one of those floating ads that comes in from the top. You can hit the little X and it will go away.

    Maybe I can make it only for newze's and every page load? Twisted Evil
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

    Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 5:34:39 pm
  • dough boy said:
    I guess I don't see the harm in 1 ad appearing 1 time during your browser session to the site? It is not like it appears every page load. If you come to the site once a day, you get the ad once a day. If you come to the site 500 times a day in a new browser window then you would get the ad 500 times.

    I have been told that the ad campaign is done on the 25th. Maybe I can work with the ad network and "reward" people that are lifetime members by not showing it, but the problem is that frankly most people don't donate to the site and I have to get money from where I can. , I would love to be ad free and have 18,000 people paying $10 a year...but we all know that would never happen.


    Well I think that's what happens. I know here at home I close the browser when I'm done. So if I check this site 10 times in a day, that's 10 new browser sessions most likely.

    About charging per year, that may work. $10 a year is pretty cheap. Especially if you somehow created an off-site companion for your collection, like a stand-alone database program similar to the other software out there.
  • Posted: September 8, 2011 5:38:31 pm
  • I think that you should have a browser always opened to CBR.com just in case...you never know when you will need to access it in an emergency. Dancing
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

    Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
16 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • IDW Publishing's Animals: A Smithsonian Coloring Book Box Set Soft Cover nn
  • Marvel Comics's Phoenix Issue # 1i
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Ahsoka Issue # 1d
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer Omnibus Hard Cover # 2b