New guide layout (Comic Book Forums)

• New guide layout

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 4:34:41 pm

I have been working on this for awhile. I have essentially rewritten it from the ground up to be almost 75% leaner (and thus faster). You can see 2 of the new features (can't see the speed of it).

1. People will not have to guess as to where Annuals are. Each type has its' own breakout (when you click expand on a different type the open type collapses - sort of like an accordion)

2a. Variants will now be easier to manage. You will be able to choose whether variants are collapsed or expanded by default (everyone will start out with them expanded but can change in their settings). This will make it nice for those that don't care about variants, or those unruly series where there are 100+ variants to 1 book.

2b. Pages are literally 100 books. Currently a page might break in the middle of variants. So you might have 99a and 99b on one page, then 99c, 99d, etc on the next. Now 1 - 100 will be on the page (in this case -1 - 99), and every variant will be there as well.

The screenshot above was taken on Chrome (CBR.com's recommended browser), however, I have tested it out in FF5 and IE9 and it looks exactly the same. I have tested it out in IE8 and it is close (no rounded corners), and IE7 is further away, but functionality wise it works in all of the browsers.

As always, please let me know your thoughts. Hopefully I will be able to finish this up before I head out to finalize the adoption. Likely I will let the Mod's play with it first to work any kinks out.

Last edited June 26, 2011 4:44:46 pm
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 4:42:41 pm
  • i think it looks awesome and i cannot wait to play with it Applause
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 4:51:00 pm
  • It looks brilliant DB. (and that screen shot looks like the same proportions as a smart phone would... Pray)

If I had issues collapsed by default, and only owned 2b, would it show a 1 next to the number? or will the owned variant only show when expanded?
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 4:59:38 pm
  • paul nolan said:
    It looks brilliant DB. (and that screen shot looks like the same proportions as a smart phone would... Pray)

If I had issues collapsed by default, and only owned 2b, would it show a 1 next to the number? or will the owned variant only show when expanded?
    Well...this is just reworking what is already there...however, in order for me to achieve what this will do, I also had to build out some other functions that will enable a theoretical complete rewrite of the system so it works differently on different devices.

I have thought about that. One thing I was thinking about possibly doing is always having the "a" version of a book show the total owned for all variants. So maybe in this case you owned all 3 versions of #3. If you default collapsed the books you would only see 1 for #3a. I was thinking of making it so you would see 1 (2) with maybe the (2) grayed out a little. The (2) representing 2 "hidden" comics, etc. I don't want to confuse people and show that they own 2a when they really own 2b, etc. In your case it might be just a (1)
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: June 26, 2011 5:11:46 pm
  • dough boy said:
    paul nolan said:
    It looks brilliant DB. (and that screen shot looks like the same proportions as a smart phone would... Pray)

Well...this is just reworking what is already there...however, in order for me to achieve what this will do, I also had to build out some other functions that will enable a theoretical complete rewrite of the system so it works differently on different devices.

I have thought about that. One thing I was thinking about possibly doing is always having the "a" version of a book show the total owned for all variants. So maybe in this case you owned all 3 versions of #3. If you default collapsed the books you would only see 1 for #3a. I was thinking of making it so you would see 1 (2) with maybe the (2) grayed out a little. The (2) representing 2 "hidden" comics, etc. I don't want to confuse people and show that they own 2a when they really own 2b, etc. In your case it might be just a (1)

dough boy said:
    I was thinking of making it so you would see 1 (2) with maybe the (2) grayed out a little.

All around looks fantastic! I like the above suggestion. Would it also be possible to pop up the word variants when you moused over the (2) or would this be considered overkill?

P.S. Congrats on the adoption finalization!
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 5:38:04 pm

This is what I was talking about (the new changes should allow me to make swifter improvements) Smile.

As you can see I own 2 of #525, but none of the variants. I expanded #529 so you can see that I own them all, 1 for a, and then the (2) for b/c.

Yes, I can make it so that when you hover over the "variant" count it would say "You own x variants of this issue" or something like that.

This would only show up if you decided to collapse the variants by default (no point in showing the variant count if you can see them all right).

One drawback (at least for completionists like me) is that I can't tell if I own all of the variants. So for #533 it says I own 1 variant, but is that 1 of 1, or 1 of 10? For #529 (if it was collapsed) would it be 2 of 2, 2 of 1, etc. Maybe I should see if it is possible to collapse everything by default, but you could change it on a series by series basis? So for completionists everything is collapsed but the one/two series they are interested in?

• Posted: June 26, 2011 7:47:39 pm
  • Looks spiffy!

I'm fine with the simple parentheses for the variants, but to appease the completionist sentiment, do you have room to put (x/y) or even (x of y) for x number of variants owned and y total variants? You would maybe have to just count which of the variants they own so if they owned multiple copies of a variant it wouldn't make it look like they own them all when they just own multiple copies of the same variant.

Alternately, could you have a toggle on each page to expand/contract all variants? I know such a button might contribute to clutter on the page, but you wouldn't necessarily need the parentheses behind each issue. Just a thought.
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 8:16:46 pm

How about this? You can see for me I own 1/5 variants for #546. It is not telling me the quantity I own, just the total owned. Also Evl you can see the "hover" in this example.

• Posted: June 26, 2011 9:16:56 pm
  • Super! Applause
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: June 26, 2011 9:58:59 pm
  • Shocked AWSOME!! ApplauseApplauseApplause
67 posts • Page 1 of 7
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Ghost Rider: Final Vengeance Issue # 5c
  • DSTLRY Media's Somna: A Bedtime Story Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Ahsoka Issue # 1g
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Micro-Series - Raphael Issue # 1shattered