New Ad Network (Comic Book Forums)

• New Ad Network

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 17, 2011 7:37:21 pm
  • I wanted to let everyone know that ComicBookRealm.com was accepted to a new ad network. This is a full fledged ad network that will sell specifically to us and our users. This was a 2 month courtship.

There are 4 things that you will notice.

1. More targeted ads to us (and thus higher revenue)

2. Roadblocks - Sometimes all of the ads on a page will be for the same advertiser (shouldn't really bother you)

3. Skins - Some of you have seen, and some will start seeing "margin" ads. I.e. the whitespace on the outside of the content and maybe an ad that will shift the page down a bit. These are higher paying ads but shouldn't be relatively intrusive (i.e. check out newsarama.com at this time and you will notice the Green Lantern skin)

4. Interstitial - You have probably seen these before, but sometimes when you come to the site you might be delivered a huge targeted ad first. You will be able to hit the skip button to go past it. You would receive ONE of these per 24 hour period. If you notice that you receive more than that frequency please let me know. This will not necessarily show on your first visit, but maybe after a few impressions.SESSION. This means if you close your browser repeatedly and come to the site you will receive it more than once. If you are like me and leave your browser open all the time (often for days on end) you would only receive it one time, etc.

I understand everyone's thoughts on ads...but seeing as how we are ad supported they are a necessary evil (especially as traffic increases so does the site costs). I will listen to thoughts/suggestions, etc on #4, but I don't think that 1 ad in a 24 hour period browsing SESSION is too much inconvenience. This ad type will likely start tomorrow or Sunday and end the 30th, but could periodically show themselves in the future.

Last edited June 23, 2011 9:13:00 am
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 22, 2011 6:46:49 pm
  • I received a full page ad at noonish today, then again at 6:45 or so. Both times I hit "Skip" before the countdown ends, so does that matter?
  • Posted: June 22, 2011 7:51:12 pm
  • It doesn't matter that you hit skip...but the fact you got it twice in a day is interesting. let me know if you get it again before 6:45pm tomorrow. It could be that they were testing at the time and reset everyone. I believe it is cookie based so if you clear your cookies you will likely get it again, etc.

But overall it is a high paying campaign and is supposed to be capped at 1 per 24 hour period per computer.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: June 22, 2011 8:50:26 pm
  • I keep cookies until they expire, so it shouldn't be that reason. I know the last one was 6:45ish, so I'll throw out that one earlier today and keep track from now on and let you know.

Either way, it doesn't bother me at all. But if they said 1/24, then obviously it should be that.
  • Posted: June 22, 2011 8:54:23 pm
  • Oh I agree. I haven't had more than one yet. I just checked my chat log with them and they notified me about 3pm that it was live (but they had been working on getting it there all day). So it could have been you happened to get a test.

• Posted: June 22, 2011 11:36:55 pm
  • Got it again, 11:35pm.
  • Posted: June 23, 2011 7:16:36 am
  • Ok. I will let them know. I still haven't gotten it again.

What browser are you using? Was it the same computer/browser each time?

• Posted: June 23, 2011 8:03:15 am
  • I just got it again this morning, 8:02am.

I'm using Mozilla, same computer and browser every time.
  • Posted: June 23, 2011 8:20:27 am
  • Are you getting it the first time you come to the site? I.e. was 8:02 your first visit this morning?

Do you close down your browser? I haven't closed mine and still have only received it once. I just closed mine down and I got it on the first visit. I looked at the cookies and it looks like most of them say delete when browser is closed. That might be the desired intention...regardless I have asked the network for clarification.

• Posted: June 23, 2011 9:07:14 am
  • 8:02 was the first time this morning, and it does seem to happen after I've been gone for awhile. I always close the browser when I leave.

But I looked at my settings and it says to never delete until they expire. It's been a LONG time since I've explored the actual files for a browser and that was back with IE, so maybe I can look for this site's cookies and see if they're being deleted? Do you know where they would be stored? I can probably find it pretty quick but just in case I don't get to it.

Last edited June 23, 2011 9:07:40 am
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Titan Comics's Bloodborne: The Bleak Dominion TPB # 1
  • Slampress Tomes's Frankenstein Visions Soft Cover # 1
  • Dark Horse Comics's From the World of Minor Threats: Barfly Issue # 1e
  • Rosarium Publishing's Silk Cotton Soft Cover # 1