feature requests

CGC dilemma (Comic Book Forums)

• CGC dilemma

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 6, 2011 9:17:21 pm
  • Hey everyone. I'm looking for opinions on which 3 books I should get graded out of the following four:
    ASM # 298 in nm condition
    ASM #300 in nm condition( not quite as good as 298 )
    Avengers #71 vf condition 1st app. of the invaders
    Avengers annual #10 1st app. of Rogue nm condition
    Oh, by the way I'm getting the three books signed by Stan Lee and cgc will be there to witness.
    Please, I could use some advice.
    Thanks all Don

Last edited March 6, 2011 9:17:54 pm
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: March 6, 2011 11:53:31 pm
  • Thanks! Those are the choices i'm leaning towards.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: March 7, 2011 4:38:41 pm
  • How do you feel sending in ASM 300 and getting a 2.0 back. Yikes. And it says restored .... how bad WAS it?

Last edited March 7, 2011 4:39:06 pm
  • Posted: March 8, 2011 5:46:57 pm
  • i wouldnt do the ASMs but would SS them. The avengers i would think about but maybe pick another book in your collection to CGC.

tt
    You build your collection one book at a time and day by day it seem to stay the same. Then one day KA BLAM it gotten out of control. Thanks mom I love you.

" I'm not insane, my mom had me tested." Sheldon BIG BANG THEORY
    " Holy on a CRACKER" Pennie BIG BANG THEORY

http://www.comixcon.com/
    http://www.kenmore-komics.com/
  • Posted: March 8, 2011 6:50:37 pm
  • tt_cook1963 said:
    i wouldnt do the ASMs but would SS them. The avengers i would think about but maybe pick another book in your collection to CGC.

tt

I would pick another book, but I think I have my mind set on them. None of my other books IMO would not be worth it.
    I have not seen too many of the Avengers books I have graded especially with a signature. The spidey's yes, but I think i'm leaning towards ASM 298 because it's in better condition.

Last edited March 8, 2011 9:42:06 pm
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: March 14, 2011 10:41:08 pm
  • Unless the ASM 298 grades a 9.8 - its not really worth it. Anything after 9.8 drops in value pretty steeply.

• Posted: March 14, 2011 10:49:51 pm
  • I believe that my ASM 298 book is at least a 9.8 or above. I'm open to suggestions if any of you want to take a look at my collection and see if you guys find something more worthwhile. I was also thinking Secret Wars #8 maybe.

Last edited March 14, 2011 10:57:51 pm
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: March 16, 2011 12:11:22 am
  • Just my 2 cents Don...

ASM # 298 in nm condition
    Probably not worth it.. the book in CGC 9.8 is going for about $100 now. This is assuming you'll get that 9.8 grade and if not, the CGC 9.6 is going for $45-50.. if you figure the grading charges plus shipping ($30).. was it really worth it?

ASM #300 in nm condition( not quite as good as 298 )
    This might be worth it, IF it gets an CCG 9.4 grade or above. CGC 9.4 is currently going for about $140-150.

Avengers #71 vf condition 1st app. of the invaders
    I typically don't even bother grading a book like this because there is no good value to it. If the book was in at least 9.4 or better condition, then go for it. If this book were CGC'd at 8.0, then the current selling value is about $40-50.

Avengers annual #10 1st app. of Rogue nm condition
    Believe it or not, I sold my only CGC 9.4 book of this. The value isn't really there as well. You can probably pick this book up in CGC 9.8 for about $80-100. Don't have that much? CGC 9.6 = $36-42 Wink

Conclusion:

- Save your money Don, it's not worth getting any of these books graded. Well, maybe the ASM 300, but don't even bother since there are so many copies out there that are graded. When it comes time to sell it, you're competing will all those copies out there, so don't expect big bucks back. Think of it from a buyer's perspective. Would you pay the going rate or someone who might have so many copies, he could sell it $10 less than everyone else? Mylar and half backs are a good alternative to making the comic look spiffy and it doesn't cost you $20-25 to do so. Razz

In the end.. the decision is up to you, but I'd thought I'd shared my view of it. Whistle

Latest Pickups:

Journey into Mystery 85          Speed Comics 43          Tales of Suspense 39

Current favorite wall books:

More CGC owned books: http://comicbookrealm.com/view-pic/9920136/413/4189

• Posted: April 8, 2011 11:40:09 pm
  • Thanks for the opinion Decepticon. I am doing this strictly for myself and not to re sell, so it does not bother me about the values. Stan Lee will be signing tomorrow(stoked!!!) and here is what I picked to have signed and graded:
    ASM #298( probably will catch flak for this one).
    Avengers#71
    Secret Wars #8 This book is in fine condition.
    Wish me well, and thank you all for your input. Like I said this is strictly for me and not just to make a quick buck, i'm doing this for pure enjoyment, and to add to my collection. Plus i'm not paying to ship the books to cgc, they'll be there to witness Stan signing.That and I have never done this before, so i'm super excited, but do not have my hopes up because these people who grade i'm sure pick books apart.Thanks again everyone, and I will post picks soon. Check out my pics from this years Wonder-Con!Very Happy

Last edited April 8, 2011 11:41:51 pm
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: April 9, 2011 8:23:25 am
  • I know you have made up your mind and I am not going to try to change it...just wanted to put my thoughts out there for everyone else (not that my thoughts matter).

Most know my thoughts on CGC to begin with. Aside from that one of my largest pet peeves is not only people signing books (I think it is worthless), but having someone sign a book they didn't work on. By work I mean they contributed to the script or the artwork in some way.

It is almost like having Robert Kirkman sign a copy of ASM 300. Yes, I know that Stan is "The Man" and had a hand in most if not all of the Marvel universe, but to me it is silly to have him sign something he didn't directly contribute to. Have him sign a copy of Howard the Duck. Smile

But regardless, have fun and enjoy your time with "The Man". You should try to get a pic with him to at least have something to show your kids/friends down the road.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: April 9, 2011 9:05:14 am

• But regardless, have fun and enjoy your time with "The Man". You should try to get a pic with him to at least have something to show your kids/friends down the road.
    I will post pics here soon. Thank you for your input D.B. I do have the Howard the Duck issues with Kiss!Very Happy I figured since Stan is Mr. Marvel that it would not matter. But I see your point on him not working on the books directly. Thanks again for your input.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: April 9, 2011 9:55:38 am
  • There's nothing wrong with submitting any books to get the graded. It's all a matter of preference and if you plan to keep them for your own personal collection - all power to you! Dancing Enjoy the con and have a great time bud! Cool

Latest Pickups:

• Posted: May 23, 2011 2:40:27 pm
  • Hello, i have two questions: 1. will i be able to sell raw 9.4 Watchmen #1 @ 25.00 ?
    2. is it worth it to cgc a watchmen #1 1986 that i suspect will grade 9.6 or bettert ?
  • Posted: May 23, 2011 3:07:23 pm
  • You would have to do research to find out, i.e. go search eBay and see what recent copies have sold for. Look at 9.4's and 9.6's. See if the 9.6's CGC are selling for more than your cost of getting it CGC'd.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: May 23, 2011 7:00:22 pm
  • livewire1 said:
    Hello, i have two questions: 1. will i be able to sell raw 9.4 Watchmen #1 @ 25.00 ? 2. is it worth it to cgc a watchmen #1 1986 that i suspect will grade 9.6 or bettert ?

The Decepticon Membrane says:

1. You might be able to sell the 9.4 for $25, but some may prefer the slabbed (CGC) copy from the range of $23-33. I'd go with the slabbed copy to be safe.. besides I won't have to pay the CGC fee at that price either.

2. Price wise I wouldn't do it unless it's for your own personal collection that you plan on keeping. Prices for an 9.6 range about $47 while the 9.8 ranges about $93 (last sale was $73).

Latest Pickups:

• Posted: May 23, 2011 7:47:05 pm
  • Thanks ! This is a great site ! i'm going to slab the ones that i think might pull a 9.8 . is this grading thing
    just a bunch of hype ? is it only worth it to slab if its worth 50 plus ? i just saw a dazzler 1 slabbed 9.6 for 35 ? ??????????????????????? is cgc the only service ? thank you all again i'm sure this only the begining of a full tilt addiction.
  • Posted: May 23, 2011 8:40:19 pm
  • Getting your books graded is all subjective to the owners of the books. I personally won't slab a book unless it's either rare or worth more than $200. I used to slab books that I thought were great and all, but I've learned though time that it was more of a waste of time and money for me. The book you have.. there's plenty of out there. Currently, there's 249 (9.8s) out there. " IF " your copy gets an 9.8, then it will be #250.. not much excitement there. But like I said, if you plan on keeping the book for yourself, then go for it. Cool

CGC is not the only service out there, but it is the most popular. If you ever sell the book, more people would be attracted to the CGC book than the other competitor.

Latest Pickups:

• Posted: May 23, 2011 10:55:07 pm
  • thanks again . for all the info I'm going to post some scans of a few different copies and let the cbr community grade them, slab the best 2 or 3 keep em and sell the rest .
  • Posted: May 24, 2011 9:35:58 am
  • @ of my books are just about complete and hopefully the third will be done soon. 2 more weeks and they'll be mine.

Last edited May 27, 2011 9:33:34 am
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: May 24, 2011 6:50:32 pm
  • Of the titles and conditions listed, I think I would go with the Avengers annual w/ the first Rogue appearance.
  • Posted: June 6, 2011 8:47:23 pm
  • Just received 2 of the 3 books back today.
    ASM #298 - 9.6
    Secret Wars #8 - 9.6
    I'm super happy! Can't wait to get back my Avengers #71.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: June 9, 2011 9:31:23 am
  • Don of the DED said:
    Just received 2 of the 3 books back today.
    ASM #298 - 9.6
    Secret Wars #8 - 9.6

Congrats, Don! Applause
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #58
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) #2
    Crisis on Infinite Earths DC/Wal-Mart 100-pg Giant

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: June 9, 2011 9:33:23 am
  • Thanks Bookwoim!
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: June 9, 2011 4:08:15 pm
  • Don of the DED said:
    Just received 2 of the 3 books back today.
    ASM #298 - 9.6
    Secret Wars #8 - 9.6

Gratz my friend. Now about that Amazing Fantasy # 15 in VF+ you are sending next... Wink
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: June 10, 2011 12:33:15 am

• Gratz my friend. Now about that Amazing Fantasy # 15 in VF+ you are sending next... Wink
    Yeah, I think I dreamed about that one last night!Very Happy
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: July 20, 2011 9:34:26 am
  • Just got back my Avengers #71 book. I figured it might grade around a 6. It came back and was a 7.0. Unfortunately I have recently moved and had changed the address, but cgc still sent it to my old address. Luckily my uncle who lives next door to my old place was able to corral the UPS driver and snag my package for me.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: July 22, 2011 10:51:22 am
  • I rue the day a major CGC competitor does emerge. Folks will end up arguing which about whose 9.6 is graded to a higher standard.
  • Posted: July 25, 2011 11:57:26 am
  • niteowljr said:
    I rue the day a major CGC competitor does emerge. Folks will end up arguing which about whose 9.6 is graded to a higher standard.

Maybe we could then see the rise of a 4th party company, one that would grade the CGC's grade for your comics.
  • Posted: July 25, 2011 12:23:44 pm
  • niteowljr said:
    I rue the day a major CGC competitor does emerge. Folks will end up arguing which about whose 9.6 is graded to a higher standard.

There is a competitor for CGC called PGX. They have been around for several years, but hard to make a large headway over CGC.

http://www.pgxcomics.com/

The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: July 26, 2011 9:38:28 am
  • Also when I received my book back I noticed that it is not completely sealed. I can partially open it from the right side a tad bit. I think i'm going to call them up and ask them about that and complain about not getting my address change incorrect when I did it 2 weeks prior to the book shipping.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: December 8, 2011 5:57:26 am
  • CGC needs to include change of address on their website as a regular feature. Because that is how long it is taking to get books back. Now they are raising their prices as well.

I have fully researched the cons about PGX and here is what i have found. The most infamous incident found on youtube, looks to be so fake that If i owned PGX I would have not settled, I would have in fact sued for libel.

The major complaints about PGX are 5+ years old now and were perpurtrated by a high ranking member of the CGC boards. There was an organized assault on PGX from the boards over at CGC. To state this clear, I am not implicating CGC's involvement in any of these shenanigans but it has cost PGX dearly in start up credibility.

I sent books to CGC on November 9th and books to PGX on November 12, I have received my PGX books slabbed and graded and my CGC still have not even left the verified status which means they are not even scheduled for grading yet.

• Posted: December 8, 2011 7:45:37 pm
  • billymays said:
    The major complaints about PGX are 5+ years old now and were perpurtrated by a high ranking member of the CGC boards. There was an organized assault on PGX from the boards over at CGC. To state this clear, I am not implicating CGC's involvement in any of these shenanigans but it has cost PGX dearly in start up credibility.

I sent books to CGC on November 9th and books to PGX on November 12, I have received my PGX books slabbed and graded and my CGC still have not even left the verified status which means they are not even scheduled for grading yet.

I think you might need to do a little more research into this. I am a CGC forum member, but I don't believe that PGX was targetted personally by "high ranking board members" as you've stated. To say there was an "organized assault" makes it seem like there's an underground gang that went out to destroy. I think the choice of words are a little too harsh.

There are other facts that show why PGX isn't quiet the standard that CGC is. If anything I think PGX did themselves in rather than what you expect. There's also a reason why a lot more collectors prefer CGC over PGX. From a selling perspective, you're not going to get the same "value" as you would with a CGC book. I'm not going to say CGC is 100% accurate on their grading or whatever, but everyone has their own faults. You also get a lot more other perks than you do than with PGX. The registry for one, is what I love - keeps track of all my CGC books and allows me to "compete" against others on certain titles or categories. Secondly, you can join the CGC forum and "browse" around and do research. No commitment need - you can hang around and gather tons of information about comics from there. I've definitely learned a lot since joining. Try just observing the forum and some of the important discussions that are brought up.

As far as the turnaround time, I'd say that's expected. Do you know how many books are submitted to CGC on a daily / weekly basis? Did you know that they just did completed a few big collection (Savannah, Twin Cities, Philly)? If you don't know about these collections.. do a little research, join the CGC forum and browse around. I bet you'll learn a lot more there about comics than you've ever did.

Latest Pickups:

• Posted: December 9, 2011 12:49:10 am
  • decepticon said:
    billymays said:

I think you might need to do a little more research into this. I am a CGC forum member, but I don't believe that PGX was targetted personally by "high ranking board members" as you've stated. To say there was an "organized assault" makes it seem like there's an underground gang that went out to destroy. I think the choice of words are a little too harsh.

There are other facts that show why PGX isn't quiet the standard that CGC is. If anything I think PGX did themselves in rather than what you expect. There's also a reason why a lot more collectors prefer CGC over PGX. From a selling perspective, you're not going to get the same "value" as you would with a CGC book. I'm not going to say CGC is 100% accurate on their grading or whatever, but everyone has their own faults. You also get a lot more other perks than you do than with PGX. The registry for one, is what I love - keeps track of all my CGC books and allows me to "compete" against others on certain titles or categories. Secondly, you can join the CGC forum and "browse" around and do research. No commitment need - you can hang around and gather tons of information about comics from there. I've definitely learned a lot since joining. Try just observing the forum and some of the important discussions that are brought up.

As far as the turnaround time, I'd say that's expected. Do you know how many books are submitted to CGC on a daily / weekly basis? Did you know that they just did completed a few big collection (Savannah, Twin Cities, Philly)? If you don't know about these collections.. do a little research, join the CGC forum and browse around. I bet you'll learn a lot more there about comics than you've ever did.

I support decepticon's post 100% on this...

I myself, had a staunch "keep-'em-raw" mindset...especially after viewing the "PGX/TMNT" video; until I decided to do research on the encapsulation of comics by CGC. Browsed around, purchased some from "fee-Bay", became a member, submitted some of my own comics, waited for them a couple months (and was totally satisfied with their grades), and even won an award (with many others), for the best in set type...all within this year.

It seems like a long process for submissions...there are a couple I've submitted on Oct. 22, and they're still being processed now...but when that big box arrives at your door, and you see the results, you might say to yourself "It was worth the wait".

"Patience is a virtue"....
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #58
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) #2
    Crisis on Infinite Earths DC/Wal-Mart 100-pg Giant

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: December 10, 2011 11:06:44 pm
  • decepticon said:

No, not really I have read all of the posts, and websites dedicated to the bashing of PGX. I also am a member of the collector society and have access to the forums. And YES i do believe there was an organized assault by a few board members. Again legal disclaimer, this is pure speculation on my part. But then again I do not wear the rose colored glasses of a person dedicated to ones failure or success.

decepticon said:

The extra value of a cgc compared to a pgx slabbed book is caused by mere perception, and public opinion mostly due to the early slander by a FEW people of CGC As far as the great perks you get from cgc, 1) you must be a member, 2) most features require minimum member level of 40 dollars a year to access. While PGX does not have a forum, they also do not require a 40 or 109 dollar a year membership to submit books.

And do you know CGC is raising its already substantially high prices compared to PGX even more? They are also adding a 5 dollar fee to each invoice.

decepticon said:

No, no ,no ! What world do you work in where "expected" delivery of a product is 100+ days over its estimated finish time as COMMON practice? I am fully aware of some nut jobs 15k books he wanted slabbed. I am well aware of how many submissions they get at most cons, The answer is to this is the same as it is in any other business, YOU MUST ALTER YOUR DELIVERY SCHEDULE PROJECTIONS or you must make decisions to facilitate the added business. If I worked in this manner I would be subject to breech of contract law suits, even though it says on my sales contracts dates are estimates. All my clients would have to do is prove a significant pattern of my estimates to be wrong and I was aware of such a fact. In CGC;s case that is easy to do.

I understand that cgc sells for more, that is why i use both services. I do however use PGX for my modern books for the most part due too a few facts:

10 bucks + 3 for shipping as opposed to (18+3 +5)/30
    The differnce in a 9.6 vs 9.8 modern is a dollar or two in value.
    PGX cases stack way better,
    they come in on time. But more importantly in a predictable amount of time.

• Posted: December 11, 2011 8:36:54 am
  • Maybe you haven't heard of the supply / demand curve for business practice or inflation. Prices on everything has to go up eventually. Think of why PGX's prices are still the same - because they want to draw in that new customer. Will they? Possibly, but I highly doubt they would take away all of CGC customers. Instead of thinking or going out seeing why PGX is so unpopular or the downfall, why don't you ask around and see why CGC is better? Ask the dealers at the comic cons, ask people who buy the slabs or submit to CGC.

You just explained everything yourself... "I have read all of the posts, and websites dedicated to the bashing of PGX". Are all the CGC high ranked board members on all those websites dedicated to the bashing of PGX? I think you have to be a little realistic here. Their downfall is by word of mouth and from personal experience that people have had with PGX. I've heard several dealers complain about PGX too. Do I go bashing them - No. How many dealers have you talked to? Which comic cons do you attend? Try going to one of the bigger conventions - SDCC, Chicago / WW, NY or Baltimore and asking the dealers there why CGC is better.

You don't need to pay a membership fee to submit books to CGC. There's other ways you can submit to them, try visiting them at the cons they're going to attend. This way you avoid shipping charges. There's talk on here about submitting to CGC via cons. I don't have membership, but I know several dealers and submit it with them and pay my part of the shipping / submission.

I know CGC is raising their rates, but as I've said things have to go up eventually. Look at gas, cigarettes or pretty much anything. If business is booming for CGC, do you know why they may have raised cost? Maybe possibly the reason is they've hired more staff, expanding, cost of attending these convention. I think you have to open your mind a little bit and not think one narrow road here.

I'm not here to try to "bash" you or to make you change your mind. I think you look at things on the other side of the fence because you seem to think one way and not the other.

Latest Pickups:

39 posts • Page 1 of 4
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 5b
  • Bad Dog Books's Fang Soft Cover # 7
  • PS Artbooks's Golden Age Classics: Fight Comics Featuring Tiger Girl Hard Cover # 1
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 14