Adoption Envelope Program (Comic Book Forums)

• Adoption Envelope Program

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 1:04:57 pm
  • My wife and I are thinking about adopting a child. This is a very expensive adventure and so I need to look how I can raise money.

One of the things I thought about doing is a mystery envelope program. Basically I am thinking about putting together an envelope that would contain 5 books for $15/20 (includes US shipping Canada could be more). 1 of the books would be a silver age main stream character from DC/Marvel (has a $.12 or $.15 cover price) in probably a 3.5+- condition.

Silver Titles might be:
    Marvel - Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, Sgt. Fury, Sub-Mariner, Marvel Tales (Giants), MCIC (Giants), Nick Fury - Shield, Plus a few Captain America, Daredevil, Avengers, Thor
    DC - 'Superman family' titles (Action, Adventure, Superman, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, World's Finest)

The other 4 would be more mainstream modern books. If you bought 2 or more envelopes I would sell them at $15/20 for the first and $12.50/17.50 for each additional. I would guarantee that there would be no duplicates in your order.

What would the interest be in something like this? I would think the value of the envelope would be somewhere around $30-40.

The reason for the range is to make sure I cover costs. I.e. if I did this on feeBay I would lose about 15% plus another 5% or so on Paypal fees. I would also lose another $5 or so on postage (per envelope). Maybe I should make it $15 on ComicBookRealm.com and $20 on feeBay? It would be easier to keep them all the same price at just $20 however. What would the interest be at $20?

I would likely need to sell 100 envelopes to break even. Do you think I could at least sell 100 envelopes to CBR members and regular feeBay users at $20 each?

Last edited November 9, 2010 3:25:42 pm
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 1:28:37 pm
  • It seems like with such a random pool of comics [I don't know, maybe you were only going to do a handful of titles though?] it may not appeal to enough people for you to break even. What I'm thinking about is the chase auction that may have given you this idea. Those are usually specialized to a title or so and then that way you know you're getting something you'll either need/want or don't mind getting again.

For example, speaking for myself, if you did this and all issues were from a Spider-Man title then I would be much more likely to buy than if the comics were varied and I could end up with .... I don't know, Fantastic Four 630 or something.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may get more people if you create different themes. Have a Spider-Man mystery envelope, Fantastic Four envelope, Batman envelope, and then maybe a complete random envelope.

Last edited November 9, 2010 1:29:07 pm
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 1:44:46 pm
  • The silvers would most likely be Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, Captain America, etc.

The problem I have with a chase (take for instance the one running on feeBay for $9) is "value". You spend $9 for one comic and you could get a $100 comic or you could get a $3 comic. Wouldn't you rather spend $15-20 to get 5 comics that are worth $30+ (and help out a good cause)?

Are you more worried about the silver or the filler books? Should I rethink it and not do filler books and just do silver books?

Should I add in a chase as well? I couldn't guarantee that you wouldn't get duplicates then (because there could be bias as to who gets it).

I figured people would be more interested in a good deal rather than a "raffle" type system where you might not get anything.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 1:59:44 pm
  • I would be down for at least one of the envelopes as described. I mainly collect X-titles, but I'd still be interested in something like this.

I have the worst luck when it comes to gambling; which is sort of what a chase is to me; so I'd prefer the "value" path. Plus, I like the random, mystery aspect of it.

Just my 2 cents.
    ~sporterX
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 2:00:04 pm
  • I like the idea of doing the silver with the modern books, this way there is some variety. If you decide to do this I would definitely be interested in purchasing some.

Last edited November 9, 2010 2:01:02 pm
    Big Boss
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 2:20:47 pm
  • dough boy said:
    You spend $9 for one comic and you could get a $100 comic or you could get a $3 comic. Wouldn't you rather spend $15-20 to get 5 comics that are worth $30+ (and help out a good cause)?

Well book value doesn't mean as much in my mind if we're talking about miscellaneous issues here and there because it would be really hard to sell them by themselves, so effectively they're worth less than book value.

But I'm probably in the minority as I only really collect Spider-Man and a few other titles, as opposed to collecting any issues I can get my hands on like others here. Your idea is probably pretty good for those collectors.
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 3:05:32 pm
  • as much as people on here have helped me out in the past, i would gladly buy some of these mystery envelopes (maybe 1 a month or every other month).
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 5:04:32 pm
  • yeah i'd be up for the cause but cool to get something in return sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "DON'T MAKE ME ANGRY , YOU WON'T LIKE ME WHEN I'M ANGRY"Image
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 7:29:43 pm
  • I'd buy some envelopes, sounds like fun dough boy and a good cause too.
  • Posted: November 9, 2010 7:53:45 pm
  • This is a cool idea. Would you be willing to maybe take requests. Let's say someone buys an envelope from you and messages you , I collect Spider-Man is there any way maybe you could send me Spider-Man only? Would this be possible? Just asking. By the way I think it's great you're choosing to adopt. There are so many children out there that need homes. I commend you highly!Very Happy
    Don of the D.E.DImage
149 posts • Page 1 of 15
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Dark Horse Comics's Sergio Aragones Louder Than Words, Actions Speak Soft Cover # 1
  • DSTLRY Media's Somna: A Bedtime Story Issue # 1j
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Comics: X-Men Issue # 14b
  • Titan Comics's Witch of Thistle Castle Soft Cover # 4