Recent CBR.com downtime issues (Comic Book Forums)

• Recent CBR.com downtime issues

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 23, 2010 5:39:59 pm
  • I want to apologize for the recent CBR downtime that we have been experiencing. I think we have finally reached the "boiling point" with all of the features we have and the demand on the server from users.

I did sign up for a service that will alert me within 1 minute of the site being non-responsive. Unfortunately it still will take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes for me to get it back up if it does go down (and that is optimistic).

The primary problem is that this site is database intensive with dynamic queries all over the place. I continue to optimize and cache where I can (i.e. instead of the homepage generating every time you load it, the whole thing is cached for a minute, and parts for up to 8 hours).

I think that it might be time to upgrade the database and put it on its own server. Right now the code and the database have to share resources. If they are separate then we shouldn't have any problems. The biggest drawback to this is that it will effectively double my cost a month to run the site.

The biggest hog itself is the comic listings (i.e. each page). I first am going to see if I can optimize it some before going through the extra expense (something I don't have the money for).

Again, sorry for the downtimes...at least it has been limited.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: October 27, 2010 11:10:34 am
  • Hey DB,

Anytime the site has been down i just assume that you are working on making it better, So to me the downtime is not a problem.

Now downtime on my cable when im watching a show is a big pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for all the work you do.

tt
    You build your collection one book at a time and day by day it seem to stay the same. Then one day KA BLAM it gotten out of control. Thanks mom I love you.

" I'm not insane, my mom had me tested." Sheldon BIG BANG THEORY
    " Holy on a CRACKER" Pennie BIG BANG THEORY

http://www.comixcon.com/
    http://www.kenmore-komics.com/
  • Posted: October 27, 2010 1:06:59 pm
  • I agree with tt. Minor disturbances. Hey what are we paying $30 a month for??? Ohhhh right. Free site!!!

You are doing a great job. Might help with some fees though. Optimized code is one thing, but sometimes a boost in the hardware is better.

And tt, that's my pet peeve also - and I work for the cable company!!!
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Bear Pirate Viking Queen Issue # 1 - 2nd print
  • DC Comics's Justice League vs Godzilla vs Kong Issue # 7f
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's No Longer Allowed in Another World Soft Cover # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Ahsoka Issue # 1i