XL Covers (Comic Book Forums)

• XL Covers

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 11, 2010 11:00:01 am
  • So for a while now we have been accepting scans large enough to provide a small, large, and extra-large cover. I just did a quick check and only 11% of our covers (23k) are xl in size.

Previously when we went from small to large we made it where anyone could submit a replacement cover and they would get credit overriding the original submitter.

I would like to get more xl covers...especially for those that are easy picking. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this efficiently without off people?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 11, 2010 3:27:18 pm
  • I see everyones jumping all over this topic.Silenced

That's a tough one DB.Think
    First off theirs only a handful of people contributing covers on a regular basis. (Only 9 or 10 people with over 5,000 submitted) so these probably would be most affected. I take it they would lose the points as well as the credit for the original cover?
    I for one don't use the points so that wouldn't bother me, but losing credit for adding a cover that in some cases you searched hi and low for and then did the editing to clean it up and such that would suck.d'oh!

Maybe if you could keep track of the points they lose and put it towards there Lifetime Membership ie ...100points = $1 or whatever you came up with as a fair number.
    For those that are already a Lifetime Member it would have to be something else I guess.
    Just my 2 cents worth DB, but you're the boss so whatever you say goes, but I'm glad you still asked for our opinion.
    I hope you get a few more responses and maybe you can figure something out.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 11, 2010 3:33:22 pm
  • I wouldn't take points away. It is just that the cover is only attributable to one person.

Most of the images that are old that are easy to update would be by people that are no longer active.

But I don't want to people off either. I could always make it so that if you upload an xl image it will only create the xl version of the image and the new person would get points, but not credit.

The only problem I see with this is that you could end up with 2 different images if they did not come from the same master, etc.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: August 11, 2010 4:18:28 pm
  • If that's the case, couldn't you just have the person that contributes/uploads the new cover placed in the Indexed by column. You could even have the name in a different color with a denote saying he added a larger or even a better image?
    Or you could make a new section "Thanks To" for supplying the original cover or vise versa with the New person in the new section "Thanks for the updated cover"?
    Again I really don't know how hard it would be to make these changes, I'm just throwing things out there.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 12, 2010 3:13:35 am
  • Is anyone even bothered by this? I don't mind having my named removed from the covers I have uploaded. Admitted it is below 1,000 but still.

Also it wouldn't be removed from the profile where I would think it counted. If someone replace all the covers I have uploaded and it still says (can't remember how many) in my profile that would be enough for me...

Maybe the ones that have uploaded most covers should be asked...

Last edited August 12, 2010 3:14:36 am
    Not collecting any more but I still enjoy comics now and then...
  • Posted: August 12, 2010 7:49:50 am
  • Well your 1,000 would decrease for everyone that someone replaced. You wouldn't lose points for them, but someone else would get credit, etc.

• Posted: August 12, 2010 7:55:09 am
  • But would the count still be visible on my profile (and not decreasing)?

Last edited August 12, 2010 7:55:25 am
  • Posted: August 12, 2010 7:58:41 am
  • No...that count is live.

• Posted: August 12, 2010 8:47:07 am
  • Ok.. then I might mind... Not that it's that important to me but I see why some could have a problem with it...
  • Posted: August 12, 2010 9:52:30 am
  • I think it would be acceptable. After all, the purpose is to provide a better cover image. There are some I have come across that were images of a book in a mid grade. If a newer pic was larger and in better grade, I think it would benefit the community as a whole.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
19 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Kid Venom Issue # 1g
  • Denpa Books's The Girl with the Sanpaku Eyes Soft Cover # 5
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Comics: X-Men Issue # 1a
  • Dark Horse Comics's Whodunnit? Soft Cover # 1