New "codebase" and a new ad spot (Comic Book Forums)

• New "codebase" and a new ad spot

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 8, 2010 5:36:42 pm
  • I am getting ready to switch on the new templating system. You shouldn't notice anything, but it should improve speeds, etc. If you do run into something that doesn't work, please let me know.

Also, I have been doing research on ads and the 300x250 is one of the most "lucrative" as far as earning CBR money. Well, that is fine and all, but I don't want to change the site layout. So the only thing I can think of is instead of default showing the first comic in a series when you go into it (most people aren't searching for it anyways) it now shows an ad. As soon as you choose a comic the ad disappears.

As always I will listen to feedback and adjust accordingly.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 8, 2010 7:25:26 pm
  • This ad placement was somewhat annoying when I first saw it, but if it helps the site I think it's a good idea. Thank you for not picking those ads that are all over the page and they expand when you mouse over them. Do you get money from views or click throughs?
  • Posted: July 8, 2010 7:58:27 pm
  • I am very cognizant about the type and place of ads (since I deal with it for my day job). They put ads all over the place but I want to look out for the users. I figured this was a good spot seeing as how most people don't really care about the first book when they come into a series and click on another issue anyways.

As for the revenue...it is both. Primarily it is CPM based (impressions delivered), but some of the ads are CPC (click throughs). It is pretty hard to know which is a click through for the 2 impression delivered ad networks, but any Google ad is CPC. But I don't want people clicking just to earn the site money...only click if you are interested in the product/service as not only can I get into trouble if the suspect click fraud, but I don't want to harm the actual advertisers either.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: July 9, 2010 2:26:42 am
  • Go ahead... I am cool with it...

Only thing is ... I would love some more relevant ads... I am not really interested in social networking and loosing weight (which most of the ads seems to be about). I don't know if this is something you can really control but it would be nice.
    Not collecting any more but I still enjoy comics now and then...
  • Posted: July 9, 2010 7:56:40 am
  • It would be nice wouldn't it. Part of the problem is you are a foreigner. There are not too many (if any) advertisers from your neck of the woods. If you were in the states you would have more relevant ads.

I have tried to strip out the annoying ones, i.e. auto expanders, auto voice, etc.

• Posted: July 9, 2010 8:52:11 am
  • Ahh I see...

Yeah many of the ads I get are actually danish... never thought of that.
    Not collecting any more but I still enjoy comics now and then...
  • Posted: July 9, 2010 10:59:04 pm
  • I don't know about anyone else but I find the new ad placement really annoying and intrusive - I actually like seeing the cover of the book as soon as I click into the listing. Also this is the only site I regularly visit that has an "opt-out" ad overlaid dead center onto its pages. I would almost rather start paying a small fee per year than have such ads.
  • Posted: July 10, 2010 8:24:18 am
  • See this is what I need. I need for people to tell me what they want. I have had a few others suggest that they would like it removed for say Lifetime members, etc.

• Posted: July 10, 2010 11:52:35 am
  • Yea sorry if my message sounded whiny but had to say something. In my opinion the ad placement makes the site look cheaper than it really is, especially since some of the ads that I've seen look to be from sites that aren't very legitimate and because they are similar to pop-up ads instead of banner ads. Thanks for hearing me out.
  • Posted: July 10, 2010 12:49:16 pm
  • marbleman3 said:
    ...the ad placement makes the site look cheaper...
    Sold...it is gone.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 74 years, 91 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Absolute Power: Task Force VII Issue # 1e
  • Image Comics's Grommets Issue # 1 - 2nd print
  • Marvel Comics's Kid Venom Issue # 1f
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Throw Away the Suit Together Soft Cover # 1