feature requests

Fantastic Four: Underwhelming or Necessary to the MU? (Comic Book Forums)

• Fantastic Four: Underwhelming or Necessary to the MU?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 24, 2018 2:00:38 pm
  • I know they've been around since the beginning and the last time I remember them being in a big event was Jason Aaron's Original Sin. Honestly, I don't really feel like they're absence has been a big deal. Individually they can be kind of interesting but as a team they're boring to me. Maybe I just haven't read the right stories?
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 7:42:06 pm
  • I had a friend who's favourite comic book was the Fantastic Four. He ended up lending me the first 400. Number 1-100 were Masterworks, the rest were singles. I only remember a couple of really good runs throughout the 400 issues. That is not a good track record, I'm sure you'll agree.
  • Posted: July 25, 2018 8:02:40 pm
  • The John Byrne run were the best issues of FF.
  • Posted: September 6, 2018 12:57:04 pm
  • For me their characters are more interesting individually. I think Mr. Fantastic got a lot of play for a while with Civil War, the Council of Reeds and Secret Wars - also him, Sue, and the kids rebuilding the multiverse was a fun few panels.

I liked the team up with Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm - I also liked them with their own teams (less so Johnny with the Inhumans but still was alright).

Together though - it's too...whelming. None of them get to shine next to Mr. Fantastic or Franklin and they end up playing second fiddle to Reed/Doom every damn story arch.

Also I kind of liked Good Guy Doom - I feel like he's the villain again just because its tradition, which is imo lame.
  • Posted: September 6, 2018 6:23:25 pm
  • For me the FF needs to be a team for them to work.
    Read the Byrne run 232 - 295 for some really great stories, like vengeance said... the best
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: September 12, 2018 10:43:22 am
  • The John Byrne run followed by Walter Simonson's run were my favorite. Fantastic Four was way ahead of its time when Lee and Kirby started it. But if you read those classic issues today, it's hard to realize what they were doing back then in the 60s was considered groundbreaking in comics. There are just so many (maybe too many?) superhero teams with the same dynamic today. What made FF stand out was that it was a smart series with smart stories (sort of like a good episode of Star Trek). The characters became a family and new characters and villains were introduced that had never been seen before (Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, The Inhumans, etc.) Reading these stories from the 60s all the way into the 80s, there was something about it that really inspired awe and wonder. This was before CGI and special effects. I keep wishing that Marvel would bring a writer on board who could capture that feeling again.

Last edited September 12, 2018 10:44:12 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 13, 2018 6:48:21 pm
  • Fantastic Four was one of my favorite series as a kid. There needs to be the tension and as someone else wrote, it needs to be written as science fiction, not standard superhero fare.

Last edited September 13, 2018 6:48:36 pm
  • Posted: September 17, 2018 1:46:23 am
  • What made the FF special in the Lee/Kirby days is that they were this dysfunctional, uncoordinated, in-fighting group of misfits and cast-offs who somehow managed to pull it together to save the world and remember they were family at the end of the day. The only writer I have seen handle the team properly since that initial run was Byrne.
    Tenzil
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 271 days, 10 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman Issue # 55
  • Top Cow's Cyberforce Issue # 6
  • Top Shelf Productions's The Lovely Horrible Stuff Hard Cover # 1
  • Vault Comics's Vagrant Queen Issue # 4b