feature requests

Reading Versus Value (Comic Book Forums)

• Reading Versus Value

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 5, 2019 10:08:25 am
  • My question for all the CBR members is this, would you rather have one comic book that is currently HOT but not very good OR ten books that have little value but are a fantastic story and artwork?
    I've always collected to read first, so you know my answer. I have hundreds and hundreds of comic books that aren't worth much but are great fun to read (or re-read).
  • Posted: December 5, 2019 10:41:32 am
  • I'd rather have good ones to read too.
    Growing up I wish I had know to take better care of my comics though. I had so many from the late 70's early 80's that I just didn't know would be worth something because there were good reads and are now of value.

I only learned it when I was in Gr 6 when I traded my X-Men #94 to some older kids who then told me it was worth $$$. I had not idea. The only good thing is that it was really in rough shape, I doubt it's worth that much now even if they kept it in the same shape.

My one friend who collected Batman comics back then though... I hope he kept them in good shape, they're all worth something.

One time a friend was moving away, I literally gave him a couple of hundred comics. Lord knows what treasures I gave to him.

I still would have read all of my comics had I know they're future value, I just wouldn't have left them in lazy stacks all over my room though.

• Posted: December 13, 2019 4:39:46 pm
  • Readers definitely
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: December 13, 2019 5:50:24 pm
  • I feel im on both sides of that fence lol...I have a nice collection (especially my Doom collection), but i also buy some comics to sell...so if its a choice between say that final book needed for a Doom series or a book with more value, i jump on Doom everytime...lol
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: December 13, 2019 5:57:37 pm
  • I only buy what I like to read and if it goes up in value that's a bonus...but I doubt I will ever get what they are worth
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 14, 2019 10:38:35 am
  • "I jump on Doom everytime". I wonder what Mrs. Doom thinks?
  • Posted: December 14, 2019 12:16:42 pm
  • jealous lolSick
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: December 15, 2019 3:28:13 pm
  • I Collect to collect..My Complete Forbidden Worlds,My, my original E.C., my Atlas and alot of my more valuable ones i have hardly read..When I get them, I store them in the condition I got them if not pressing to try n upgrade them..I read alot of the others..but for future potential resale or my goal to give them to my sons, i want them preserved in the best grades i can..
  • Posted: December 15, 2019 5:36:24 pm
  • silversabrewolf said:
    I Collect to collect..My Complete Forbidden Worlds,My, my original E.C., my Atlas and alot of my more valuable ones i have hardly read..When I get them, I store them in the condition I got them if not pressing to try n upgrade them..I read alot of the others..but for future potential resale or my goal to give them to my sons, i want them preserved in the best grades i can..

But when you do pass them on to your sons, are you telling them NOT to read and enjoy them, or just sell them if they need the money? I'm in the camp that believe comics are meant to be read and enjoyed.
  • Posted: December 17, 2019 4:18:29 pm
  • I certainly won't tell them not to ever read them..I enjoy reading most of them..As I said tho..My goal is to preserve them as I recieved them..I don't regularly read reread my Atlas My ACG or my E.C....I hope they decide to pass them to their children..If they decide to sell them..I will be OK with that..Just want them to say oneday "look what dad did for us."
18 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool Issue # 43b
  • Titan Comics's Forgotten Runes: Wizard's Cult Issue # 3c
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 14
  • DC Comics's Wonder Woman: Rebirth Issue # 1sdcc-b