feature requests

Video Games (Comic Book Forums)

• Video Games

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 8:34:37 am
  • If this has been done I apologize, I've only been here since June but haven't seen anything on the topic.

I feel like gamers and comic book collectors mesh pretty well, they might go hand in hand even. I've been playing video games since I was a kid and still play today just not as much as I used to. What are your favorite games of all time? What platform(s) do you use? What are you currently playing? Open discussion about anything game related.

My gaming system timeline :
    Atari 2600, Texas Instruments T1-99, NES, Sega Genesis, Super NES, Sega CD, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One

My Top 5 Favorite games/series:
    1. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
    2. Skyrim
    3. Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 1 & 2 / Black Ops 1
    4. Fallout 3 & 4
    5. GTA series

Honorable mentions : Legend of Zelda(NES), The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Splinter Cell, Madden, Red Dead Redemption, Minecraft, Diablo III.

I am currently playing Fallout 4 still and a little Diablo III off and on.

Last edited October 29, 2018 3:10:21 pm
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 2:36:21 pm
  • There was a thread last year about games, but it was board games not video games. I have only played one video game in the last twenty years: Angry Birds.

I had a Super NES in the '90s and only played Zelda and Golf at the time. I see by Machete's list that he has been playing since the very beginning. I hear about many video games all the time, as most of my friends still play video games into their 50's. I guess it's here to stay?
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 8:26:13 pm
  • My first system was an Intellivision. I had 1, 2 and 3 of that.
    Then on to the Sega Genesis and played the crap out of that too. Most of my friends had all the new systems that came out, so I never was deprived.
    The big leap from there was the PS2. Next got the kids the Wii, and much later the Xbox 360.
    I got a deal last year at work on an Xbox One S for about $70 and that is my current system and probably the only one I will have for awhile.
    I don't even have all the games I own loaded, but will play the ones that are here and there.
    Loaded and played:
    Street Figher 30th anniversary collection (newest buy)
    Injustice 2
    Amazing Spider-man 2 (played that more than any of the others)
    Marvel vs capcom infinite
    Batman the enemy within
    Resident evil revelations
    Madden 18
    COD WWII

Not even opened from the seal yet:
    Megaman Legacy collection 2
    The walking dead A new frontier
    RBI baseball 2017

I get some crazy deals at work, or else I wouldn't even have any of these games.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: October 29, 2018 8:57:49 pm
  • I totally spaced on this...but also have the sega genesis retro mini console. I have a handful of cartridges I got from a store here that sells all the old consoles and games. I have the Atari flashback as well, but haven't tried it out. I have too much junk plugged in/hooked up to stuff and will have to try it out one day.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 3:33:56 am
  • I've been a gamer since the early 90's (started with the FamiCom console) playing Super Mario, Adventure Island etc.. Still have the NES and have added PSP, PS2, Ps3 (Ps4 is still too expensive for me here in Africa). Favourite franchise is undoubtedly Metal Gear Solid and Skyrim, but love playing High Heat Baseball, Last of Us, Bioshock, Crysis, Mass Effect, Dante's Inferno, GTA, God of War and a few racing games here and there.
    "In times like these it's good to remember that there has always been times like these..."
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 7:38:48 am
  • @Spector
    The Batman and Walking Dead games made by Telltale are amazing games to play, I highly recommend them. They are great stories that force you to make key decisions that affect the game and will have you second guessing your actions. I have played many of their games including the Walking Dead series, Batman, Back To the Future, Game of Thrones, etc. Unfortunately Telltale is on hiatus right now due to financial instability.

@RipTorn
    Dante's Inferno was such a great game. I don't think it got as much credit as it deserved. The graphics were beautiful, the mechanics and fighting were good and it was a great depiction of the Divine Comedy. I loved that game!
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 8:21:24 am
  • I was a gamer long before getting into comics, but I definitely agree that the two pastimes/hobbies/interests/passions are complementary. My first gaming system was a Super NES which myself & my three sibings saved our allowances to buy. Super Mario was the jam back in the day. We also had a Sega Genesis growing up (we played a ton of Streets of Rage II & what was that amazing game where you could be one of four classes in a fantasy setting with runes & whatnot? OMG I LOVED THAT GAME SO MUCH). I had a GameBoy Color solely for playing Pokemon (I now have a DS for that purpose), specifically I played Pokemon Sapphire & now Pearl. I was always very into PC gaming as well, I'd have to correct myself & say that technically THAT was my first system; faves there were (going from very early on to later) Doom, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem, Worms, Tomb Raider, Leisure Suit Larry, the Sims, Everquest, Titan Quest, the list could go forever. Currently, I'm a PlayStation gal. I have a PS3 & a PS4. I play the Last of Us & Heavy Rain (& sometimes Skyrim) on the 3, & I play Skyrim & Diablo III on the 4. I've also played the Mass Effect & Dragon Age games on them, as well as a bit of Destiny (not my thing).
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:10:28 am
  • I play very little these days. The last thing I was playing on a regular basis was War Robots on iOS. As an aside, Battle of Titans also looks pretty good, so I may have to give that one a try.

BUT! I used to be a die hard gamer. If I wasn't spending money on comics, you could find me in the Aladdin's Castle in the mall. Put my initials in many games down there. Those were good times indeed.

As for home systems, here's the list that I owned at one time or another:
    Atari 2600
    ColecoVision
    Intellivision
    Sega Master System
    NES
    Turbo Grafx 16
    Sega Genesis
    SNES
    Sega CD
    NEO GEO
    Atari Jaguar
    GameCube
    PlayStation
    PS2
    PS3
    PS4
    Wii

It helped that I worked at a buy/sell/trade game store for 3 years. Some of these systems I had multiples and multiple flavors of as well. For example, I had all 3 types of Genesis consoles, and both types of Sega CDs. At one point, I think I had 10 NES consoles just stacked in a corner.

I ended up selling just about everything in one big eBay auction a while back. Kind of wish I hadn't done that, but oh well. At least I have a lot more room for comics now! Dancing

Last edited October 30, 2018 11:33:02 am
    In pursuit of what Marvel considers the entire Hulk legacy run... with a few adjustments.

Current level of completeness: 56.24%
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:23:03 am
  • Oooh, I forgot Wii & iOs!

My family had a Wii when I was in college & we played a ton of the sports games, as well as Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, & Smash Bros.

I have been & still am addicted to Summoners War on iOs for about four years, now. I run four accounts, three on tablets & one on my phone. It's a problem.
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:27:09 am
  • Hulk Collector said:
    It helped that I worked at a buy/sell/trade game store for 3 years. Some of these systems I had multiples and multiple flavors of as well. For example, I had all 3 types of Genesis consoles, and both types of Sega CDs. At one point, I think I had 10 NES consoles just stacked in a corner.

For retro systems I currently have a NES, Sega Genesis and a N64 that I want to eventually hook them all up to a TV in my future comic/game room that will be my loft in my house. That is a ways down the road though.
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:35:13 am
  • Goldeneye tournament at Machete's house!! Very Happy
    In pursuit of what Marvel considers the entire Hulk legacy run... with a few adjustments.

• Posted: October 30, 2018 11:38:31 am
  • Hulk Collector said:
    Goldeneye tournament at Machete's house!! Very Happy

He also has Perfect Dark!
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 11:45:07 am
  • Cool! I'll bring pizza rolls and Mountain Dew!

I hope Machete's parents don't mind. Cool

• Posted: October 30, 2018 11:51:22 am
  • Wow, you guys (and gals) sure like your video games. Some of you remembering your past video game systems seems like reminiscing about an old girlfriend or something like that.
    Hey, how far is Vermont from Toronto, Canada? I think I want in on this massive party. I'll bring the (legal) weed.
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 12:23:25 pm
  • @brucifer it's about a 7.5 hour drive!
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 12:29:21 pm
  • Hulk Collector said:
    Goldeneye tournament at Machete's house!! Very Happy

PAAAAAARTYYYYYYYY!!! No using Oddjob, it's technically cheating they say!!!

Believe it or not I've never actually played the multiplayer Goldeneye Shame on you
    I have played the game a little but was more into other games like WCW vs. NWO, and continuously playing 40 man Battle Royals!!!
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 3:23:14 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Wow, you guys (and gals) sure like your video games. Some of you remembering your past video game systems seems like reminiscing about an old girlfriend or something like that.
    Hey, how far is Vermont from Toronto, Canada? I think I want in on this massive party. I'll bring the (legal) weed.

Brucifer, I've heard you are super into board games. If you come down we can play a heated battle of The Cones of Dunshire.
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 30, 2018 10:18:43 pm
  • @ Hulk Collector you just jarred a big nugget loose from my noggin, bringing back Alladin's Castle. Man, I nearly forgotten about that place!
  • Posted: November 2, 2018 6:47:11 pm
  • GAUNTLET LEGENDS!!!
  • Posted: November 13, 2018 11:46:45 am
  • I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 last week and haven't played it as much as I would like but from what I have I am pretty impressed. It is a beautiful game and the map looks HUGE. There are a lot of controls to remember especially when on horseback but I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to putting in some more time with it, I've barely scratched the surface.

Last edited November 13, 2018 11:47:00 am
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: November 13, 2018 1:59:47 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 last week and haven't played it as much as I would like but from what I have I am pretty impressed. It is a beautiful game and the map looks HUGE. There are a lot of controls to remember especially when on horseback but I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to putting in some more time with it, I've barely scratched the surface.

Yeah, I bought it last week as well, and from what I've read, the main mission is over 50hrs, not including any side missions. I bought it as well last week, and did not want to start it til I finished Marvel Spider-Man. Finished Spider-Man a couple of nites ago, and started RDR2 last nite. Very impressive looking game, only played about an hr of it, just to familiarize myself with the controller.
  • Posted: November 23, 2018 11:56:42 pm
  • I'm a big gamer. . .started in the 70's with PONG (which is how I discovered the truth about Santa when my mom and stepdad woke me up playing the game all night Christmas Eve) all the way up to my current XBoxOne and Red Dead Redemption II. In the 80's I was a stereotypical mallrat arcade dweller (Tempest and Spy Hunter were MY high score boards from top to bottom).

My favorite games have always been RPG's, from Sega Genesis Shadowrun, to Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Fallout, and all points in between. Good or bad, I've played just about anything that can be called an RPG.

I REALLY don't like the direction that gaming is going. . .all multiplayer. It felt like a punch to the nuts when I played the Fallout '76 Beta. I cancelled my pre-order immediately.

Last edited November 24, 2018 12:07:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 24, 2018 1:02:27 am
  • @atom
    Loved me some Tempest at the arcade! Spy Hunter was THE game. The nearby convenience store had it, and we played it shamelessly after school almost every day. My big memory is beating the entire game off of one quarter. I do agree with all the multiplayer games out there. My kids love them, but I am not about to cough up the extra dough for the online fees to play someone else. I would rather play by myself, or a true multiplayer game, with someone beside me playing. I am still a bit peeved that they only released the Spider-man game on the PS4, when I also have the x-box one platform.
  • Posted: November 29, 2018 11:16:29 am
  • atom said:

I REALLY don't like the direction that gaming is going. . .all multiplayer. It felt like a punch to the nuts when I played the Fallout '76 Beta. I cancelled my pre-order immediately.

Agreed, I've always been a fan of single-player games, but less of those games get made every year, they are still around but the multiplayer title get all the publicity.

My XB1 is used more as a blu-ray player and streaming box than for gaming these days. I do most of my gaming on XBOX 360 still, games are much cheaper and plenty of used copies to go around.
  • Posted: November 30, 2018 12:03:00 am
  • ^^^^ I'm sort of a fan of Longbox Junk video games as well, so I tend to haunt the bargain bin at Gamestop hunting for overlooked Xbox 360 games. There's still PLENTY of good stuff to be found in the last gen games and the price can't be beat!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 30, 2018 8:45:50 am
  • atom said:
    ^^^^ I'm sort of a fan of Longbox Junk video games as well, so I tend to haunt the bargain bin at Gamestop hunting for overlooked Xbox 360 games. There's still PLENTY of good stuff to be found in the last gen games and the price can't be beat!

Bargain bins are awesome, I picked up Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag for $5 last week.
  • Posted: November 30, 2018 3:49:43 pm
  • Some of my favorite games to play are any of the Lego games lol. I know they are for kids but they are a lot of fun, you can play two player, there are so many characters, hidden secrets, etc. The main thing for me is they are relaxing and fun, there's really no getting mad or frustrated at a Lego game. I've played almost all of them except for Lego Rock Band maybe 1-2 others. The Lego Marvel and Avengers games were awesome!
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: December 24, 2018 11:09:06 pm
  • I guess I've been a gamer most of my life. I still have the original Atari 2600 and almost every game. My aunt worked for Atari and she gave us tester games. Basically, chips that fit into a cartridge to play games and not the actual cartridges. We also got almost every console that ever came out. Most are stored away now. My brother was also a game designer at Atari in the 90's so we got quite a few games from him. He still works for Rockstar as a designer and more free games. I haven't completed an RPG since the original Resident Evil and Dino Crisis on PS1. The newer RPGs aren't my thing now. However, my kids love playing all the Batman games and finished them all. I still play Street Fighter or what ever fighting games my kids bring home once in awhile. The only game I really play now are racing games. I've been hooked on GT since PS1 and now have been playing GT Sport for the past year.
  • Posted: December 25, 2018 12:14:55 am
  • I started my gaming career with the original Nintendo. Atari was just out of my age range (i'm 38 now lol). Had essentially every console that has come out since (minus Jaguar, and PS4 now).

Currently playing Red Dead II, Fallout 4 still, Mass Effect Andromeda still, and Dragon Ball FighterZ (Just got it, and its awesome!!). Personally i love the Fallout series (i started at 3 on Xbox and 100%ed it and New Vegas Very Happy), any MvC (especially 2), love playin duty and battlefield...

Last edited December 25, 2018 12:22:40 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Darkwing Duck #3: Quackerjack cover
    Ultraman #1 Polybagged Virgin Edition
    Teen Titans Go! (2010) #1 Newsstand Edition
    CGC 9.8 Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #28 1st Omnipotentis
  • Posted: December 25, 2018 1:45:41 am
  • My favorite video games were arcade games when I was young.

Pulsar
    Space Duel
    Sinistar

I don't care for most modern games.
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 9:04:38 am
  • Hulk Collector said:

As for home systems, here's the list that I owned at one time or another:
    Atari 2600
    ColecoVision
    Intellivision
    Sega Master System
    NES
    Turbo Grafx 16
    Sega Genesis
    SNES
    Sega CD
    NEO GEO
    Atari Jaguar
    GameCube
    PlayStation
    PS2
    PS3
    PS4
    Wii

You owned a NeoGeo? Damn those were pricey, fucking awesome arcade games though. I always wished I could play them at home.

I was born in 78 so thanks to my older brothers I was able to start my gaming life with something akin to Pong. Then we had Atari, two versions .... the big hulk one and then the smaller one, can't remember the numbers. 2600, 7800...etc.

Then it follows the path you show up there essentially. Sega Master System was great, I spent many hours on that thing especially with Phantasy Star.

Today I probably play 2-3 new games a year. Last few I played were Spider-Man on PS4 and the Mario and Zelda Switch games. Plan on getting Just Cause 4 and Ace Combat when they go down in price and in a few weeks I'll start the new "Dark Souls" game, Seiko Die Twice or whatever it's called. Love the Dark Souls/Bloodborne stuff.
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 9:34:30 am
  • I broke down and got a hard drive last month to finally be able to load all the xbox one games I have been picking up at next to nothing prices and stockpiling. I tried most of the games out briefly, but put a little time into Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. Pretty fun game, and not as easy to play as you would think.
    The main complications I had was knowing where to go next or what to do as each scene progressed. I watched some of the walk throughs on youtube to get a better grasp. Let me tell you, the entire walk through for the game without commentary is about 8 hours long. So yeah, the game has a little depth.
    I managed to go about an hour and a half into it and passed the first major mission with the Guardians of the Galaxy. I started the second mission in the Avengers mansion but saved my progress where it was.
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 9:58:05 am
  • The Lego Marvel and DC games are a lot of fun. So many characters to unlock and use. The 2nd Marvel game had more unique and obscure characters than the 1st one, the 1st one stuck to all the popular fan favorites.

Trying to find where to go for the next level is kind of difficult sometimes, just remember to follow the trail of "ghost" studs/coins.

Last edited February 26, 2019 9:59:04 am
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 10:02:32 am
  • Abysslord said:
    You owned a NeoGeo? Damn those were pricey

Indeed I did. But I didn't have to buy it new...

My neighbor used to run a game rental store in the early '90s. He never really took care of his stuff, and his store was a hole in the wall. I had rented the NEO GEO from him a couple of times, and it was awesome. Well one day I go in and ask to rent it, and he says it's broken. I had worked at a different game store at the time, a buy/sell/trade place, and I knew that 99% of the time, games don't just "break", they get dirty and need to be cleaned.

So I thought, "what the hell", and knocked on his door one night, and asked if he still had his "broken" NEO GEO. He did, along with 1 controller and 5 games. I asked him what he wanted for it, and his answer was "I'll let you have all the NEO GEO stuff if you get me a copy of MegaMan X2 for SNES" Hmmm...a $60 game for $1000 worth of NEO GEO gear? DONE!

I spent a couple of hours cleaning the contacts on the games and the system, and they were filthy. After that, it was time for the moment of truth. I plugged it all in, hit the power switch, and BOOM!, everything worked as expected!

I bought 1 more controller, and 1 new game, Samurai Showdown. The game was $200 all by itself! My friends and I proceeded to play the crap out of that system.

So that's my NEO GEO story. Best $60 I ever spent!

• Posted: February 26, 2019 10:30:00 am
  • MacheteF7 said:
    I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 last week and haven't played it as much as I would like but from what I have I am pretty impressed. It is a beautiful game and the map looks HUGE. There are a lot of controls to remember especially when on horseback but I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to putting in some more time with it, I've barely scratched the surface.
    I'm still playing RDR2 and loving it, this game is amazing. I haven't even completed the campaign yet because there is just so much to do. I'm about 70% complete. I find myself blowing through hours of time just hunting and fishing, exploring areas to find new stuff, making money even though you really don't need much of it in this game. I'm not sure what I will play after this, any suggestions for Xbox One games?
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 1:46:43 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    I'm still playing RDR2 and loving it, this game is amazing. I haven't even completed the campaign yet because there is just so much to do. I'm about 70% complete. I find myself blowing through hours of time just hunting and fishing, exploring areas to find new stuff, making money even though you really don't need much of it in this game. I'm not sure what I will play after this, any suggestions for Xbox One games?

I'm still putzing around in chapter 2, only about 25% of the game. Quick question for you MacheteF7, been trying to fish, but can't seem to unlock it. From what I googled, it unlocks when the kid in your camp asks you to take him fishing. I go talk to him whenever I'm in camp, but he just says hi and walks away. Do you remember how you unlocked fishing?
  • Posted: February 26, 2019 2:23:11 pm
  • Vengeance said:
    I'm still putzing around in chapter 2, only about 25% of the game. Quick question for you MacheteF7, been trying to fish, but can't seem to unlock it. From what I googled, it unlocks when the kid in your camp asks you to take him fishing. I go talk to him whenever I'm in camp, but he just says hi and walks away. Do you remember how you unlocked fishing?
    I'm almost certain the mission is in Chapter 2 like you said and I think it just comes in time. Jacks mother Annabelle actually asks you take him out I believe. Just keep doing missions and it should come up. After the mission is complete you can fish anytime you want and the stranger mission to catch the legendary fish becomes available at some point. Have fun!
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: March 6, 2019 8:50:47 pm
  • I am a big PC gamer, Right now I'm playing a lot escape from tarkov. It's a survival FPS MMO type of game.
  • Posted: April 8, 2019 8:40:20 am
  • MacheteF7 said:
    MacheteF7 said:
    Finally 100%-ed Red Dead 2 this weekend. 5 months of playtime! What a great game this was. One of the best I've ever played for sure. Now I have to decide if I want to try the online side of it or move onto something else.

Last edited April 8, 2019 8:41:42 am
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: April 12, 2019 9:45:52 am
  • Gamestop is having a Spring Sale right now with some good deals.

I picked up GTA V brand new for $15. Passed on Shadow of Tomb Raider for $30, played that one on GamePass and really enjoyed it.
  • Posted: April 13, 2019 12:08:22 am
  • Jimbo749 said:
    Gamestop is having a Spring Sale right now with some good deals.

I picked up GTA V brand new for $15. Passed on Shadow of Tomb Raider for $30, played that one on GamePass and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the scoop. I didn't run across any games tonight, but did end up with a sweet metal Spider-man watch, and an overwatch combo pack that had the comic #1 plus a back pack hanger. They had another issue, but the packaging was a little rough, so I passed it up. I may have to check another location for any comics at clearance deals, as well as games.
  • Posted: April 16, 2019 7:57:18 am
  • Spector said:
    Jimbo749 said:
    Gamestop is having a Spring Sale right now with some good deals.

Thanks for the scoop. I didn't run across any games tonight, but did end up with a sweet metal Spider-man watch, and an overwatch combo pack that had the comic #1 plus a back pack hanger. They had another issue, but the packaging was a little rough, so I passed it up. I may have to check another location for any comics at clearance deals, as well as games.

Every once in a while I'll find a comic at, usually after digging to the bottom of the clearance bin. There are a few gamestop-exclusive variants out there.
42 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 51 years, 74 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Vertigo's American Carnage Issue # 6
  • Hasbro's Hasbro Transformers Collectors' Club Issue # 63
  • DC Comics's Heroes in Crisis Issue # 3 - final print
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 252facsimile
CBR.com member auction items ?