feature requests

EBay hacked. Change your passwords ... (Comic Book Forums)

• EBay hacked. Change your passwords ...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 21, 2014 2:34:21 pm
  • (Reuters) - E-commerce company eBay Inc said hackers stole email addresses, birthdays and other identity information between late February and early March in a data breach that may have affected a "large number" of accounts.

In the latest major cyber attack at a U.S. company, eBay said it had found no evidence of unauthorized access to financial or credit card information, which is stored separately in encrypted formats.

But the company urged all of its users, including the 145 million customers who bought or sold something on eBay in the last 12 months, to change their passwords.

Here's the story link ... http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/21/us-ebay-password-idUSBREA4K0B420140521
  • Posted: May 21, 2014 10:35:44 pm
  • Brick wallBrick wallBrick wallBrick wallEvil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad
  • Posted: May 23, 2014 8:01:43 am
  • I might be one of the few people here that has not received anything, but I have yet to hear anything from eBay. I really do not like the fact that I have to wait to hear something from the news outlets rather than to hear it from the company affected.
    Visit http://cmro.travis-starnes.com for the complete Marvel reading order
  • Posted: May 23, 2014 8:07:48 am
  • From what I have read, eBay has been keeping pretty quiet about this. A couple of news stories broke, but nothing was posted on their website and no emails were sent out to their users informing them of the need to change passwords.

I don't know if they are just assuming that the users will see the news elsewhere or just thinking that it isn't a big deal and people don't need to worry about it, but that is a little irritating. The first news of this should have been directly from eBay to minimize the bad press.

Full disclosure - I work in computer networking and security and have been with companies that have been breached before. ALWAYS be the first to tell them, if your customers find out from someone else then it doesn't make them feel good about the whole deal.
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: May 28, 2014 7:58:48 am
  • Here we go, a full week later I finally got the official email from eBay notifying customers and requesting that people change their passwords. I was wondering how long they would go before they finally told us about it themselves.
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: May 28, 2014 6:16:13 pm
  • Yup, i just got an email too
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 11
  • Marvel Comics's Carnage Issue # 6c
  • Tuttle Publishing's Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings: Japan's Legendary Book on Samurai Military Strategy Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 464b