feature requests

What Got You Into Comics? (Comic Book Forums)

• What Got You Into Comics?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 1:46:50 am
  • matthewaos said:
    Wow labria, and I thought my dad was cool, for watching The Wall with me...

I always liked superheros, especially Spider-Man. Long story short, after watching "Amazing friends", Batman (movie and cartoon) Spider-Man TAS and the other 90s (great) cartoons, and especially after reading some stuff I was hooked. As a kid I loved Conan, ASM, Spawn and Sandman I was hooked.

EDIT: The comic that made me a collector however was Peter Parker vol 2 #25, the end of Revenge of the Green Goblin.

Good point. The one that made me start collecting and watching prices was Shadow War of Hawkman #1. I thought I had Hawkman #1 and kept that thing protected. Lol, it was probably in Good condition too. I didn't know what I was doing but I knew I had found an awesome hobby.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 2:09:12 am
  • Wow there's a lot of great stories here, I'm having a blast reliving everyone's nostalgia here. I was a fan of superhero stories but I would say I really got hooked on collecting comics to re-read was with reading Batman's Knightfall story line. I remember waiting for the issues to come out on release day to read the story further, and still to this day it is one of my favorites. Crisis on Infinite Earth's was a great story for me, but was confusing at the time. I love the chance to go back and re-read stories from the past, it brings me back to the times of first reading them, and sometimes I forget a bit so it's like reading a familiar tale for the first time. Truly Blissful!Angel
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 3:17:03 am
  • I started reading comics in the early 90's. Probably about 1992 / 3. There was a comic shop quite near my friend's house that we used to go to every weekend. We'd catch the bus there and spend all my pocket money buying as many as I could.

I remember picking up X-Men, X-Factor and a lot of other X books. Then I started riding the early Image wave for a couple of years. I remember my favourites were X-Factor and the Maxx. A few years later I got into making music and put aside my comics.

I pulled them all out again in 2011, and got interested again. I went to my LCS and found out about the new 52. I was very much a Marvel fan in the early 90s, but now I find myself more interested in the DC comics (which I never really bothered with before).
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 4:59:34 pm
  • Re; Jubbafat
    My re-emergence of diving back into comics happened that same exact way, and timing as well. I started pursuing my career in music around mid nineties, and never gave up comics, but music took over my passions. I jumped back in around 2010. I still have my books from my previous collection, except for 15 or so which got lost from my homes bathroom great toilet flood of 1996! Now adding newer stories from my DC favorites, I've also been jumping back into favorite titles Marvel, Image, and I'm really enjoying the stuff that Aspen Comics have been releasing.
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 7:21:03 pm
  • I remember using ebay, even 7 or 8 years ago, you could get amazing deals.... then people found out it was there for comics
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 9:35:46 pm
  • I went to visit my my Aunt/Uncle for a month or so during one summer. We went to the mall and I saw a collector's pack of the Return of Supermen. Bought that and then collected a long box or two of comics. Got out of it after a few years. Then on one road trip back from college with my now wife she asked what I used to like. I told her and it brought back a lot of memories. I then started collecting again and needed a home for my collection. Here we are.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: September 21, 2013 8:49:12 am
  • Similar story. Collected when I was a kid, but then stopped for a number of years. When the first spiderman movie came out, it reminded me how much I used to be obsessed with spiderman.

Next time I was at books a million (or barnes and nobles, dont remember), I saw the first tpb for ultimate spiderman, and the marvel masterworks of ASM 1-10, and bought em both. Remembered how much I loved reading em. Next time I was home (I was in boarding school at the time) I started yearly subscriptions to the spiderman titles from marvel.

Kept that goin until my third year of law school (two/three years ago), when I needed a new hobby to be obsessed with. I knew I wasnt going to have time to play videogames (which at the time was my stress relief) when I started work as a lawyer, so i needed something that would keep me happy but would take less time. It was actually my new years resolution that year to get out of video games and more into comics.

Lived a block away from Fat Jacks in Philly, and started goin over each Wednesday to pick up the books I wanted. It started slow, all spider related books (venom, scarlet spider, ASM, avenging), and then slowly grew to include anything with spiderman (the avengers books) and a few x books and independents (Saga).

Then, once I graduated and got ready to start work (meaning there was more cash flow and ability to buy, and a bigger apartment to store) it ballooned. I started preordering from midtown, which meant i could afford even more (because of their 35% discount), and now its all Marvel, all Valiant, all Zenescope, Sonic the Hedgehog, Saga, TMNT, and several other independents.

In fact, I get so many now that I have run into the same problem I had with video games that made me switch over to comics in the first place. I barely have time to read em all. I even have a few that I would like to add to my pull list, but know that I would never get to read em. Im about three weeks behind right now, and am still tryin to catch up on the Walking Dead, which I just bought the compendiums for.

Great hobby though.
  • Posted: September 21, 2013 6:28:45 pm
  • I feel old when I read that people got started after watching x-men cartoons.....yikes...

for me ...... I grew up watching those early Batman shows from the 60's with Adam West. Just loved it!!

But, I remember taking a trip to Germany in 1971 and my mother had bought me an early Batman figure (not sure if it was a mego or not) and about a dozen comic books to keep me occupied on the plane. When I opened those paged of Captain America, Iron Man and Batman, all I wanted to be was a super hero. I would always take a pillow case and created a cape, hold my arms straight out, and imagined I could fly with the best of them. Comics have been a part of my life ever since. The unfortunate thing was I didn't learn about "collecting" comics until the mid 80s. Sure wish I had some of those early comics my mother would pick up for me over the years.
    I'm not saying....I'm just saying...
  • Posted: November 20, 2013 3:28:53 pm
  • I started when I was 8 in 1973. My next door neighbor started collecting and I read his books. I was hooked and I started to build my own collection. I began buying back issues in '76. Back then they were really cheap and my mom didn't mind that I read comics. She liked the fact I was actually reading something instead of watching TV. I stopped collecting monthlies in 1998 but I still collect GA, SA and BA books.
  • Posted: November 21, 2013 11:36:10 am
  • I remember reading the Sunday funny pages as a kid. I am pretty sure the first comics I started reading were GI Joe comics in the mid-80s. There was an old general (would be considered convenience nowadays) store around the corner from my grandma's house called Joe's. She would give us 50 cents or a dollar for doing simple chores around the house. Our parents would let us go upto Joe's and get whatever we wanted with the money. I would buy comics that had the cover torn off them (I am assuming to be sent back to get credit for them) for $.10 and a slushy. I really wish I had these comics today as I would be curious to see how early in Marvel's GI Joe run they were. Grandma passed away and so went the trips to Joe's. I then started picking up comics in the early 90s when I was in middle school/high school and the sports card boom was dying. There was a small magazine store in our local mall that had a whole section of them as well as a spinner or two. I liked Spider-man, Batman, & Superman. I got hooked on the Death of Superman storyline and the knightfall line. I bought several of the initial Image offerings and started going to one or two other actual comic book stores in the area, but I was still only picking up what my parents would let me get (didn't have any income of my own). I grew up a bit and discovered computers and girls and the comic books went away. I hadn't bought a single issue from then until 2006 or 2007 when I heard about Marvel's Civil War which dragged me back in completely. I started out at a reservist at Eides here in Pittsburgh and then realized there had to be a cheaper way to get books, so I discovered DCBS and started spending significantly more a month on all sorts of titles from DC & Marvel. After a year I lost interest again. I think this is about when I discovered MMORPGs which sucked the life out of anything else I was interested in. Since then I bought a house and quit the particular MMORPG I had been hooked on. Last year tho I heard about A vs X and I was in 100% again, have been ordering from DCBS every month since then. I don't read nearly enough of what I order, but I went back and started buying some of the new 52 stuff as well. I've started reading some stuff on my iPad now as well. It's an amazingly fun hobby and I still enjoy the chase. With the ability to buy online it's not quite the same as chasing down a particular issue when I was younger, but still enjoyable!

Great topic, thanks for everyone sharing!
22 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Argo Publishing's Argo 5 Issue # 44
  • Massive Publishing's Crashdown Issue # 2g
  • Bad Dog Books's Fang Soft Cover # 5
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures - Continued  Issue # 10idw convention