feature requests

Petition to address gun control (Comic Book Forums)

• Petition to address gun control

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 15, 2012 1:48:44 am
  • Needed 25,000 signatures and it got well over 64,000 and counting within a day.
  • Posted: December 15, 2012 7:56:37 am
  • Considering there are millions of Americans that isn't much.

My biggest problem is what could possibly have been done to prevent this? He stole the guns from his mom. So now the only thing that could be done is outlaw them altogether. It is not like a law making it the death penalty if you kill someone would have helped.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 15, 2012 5:11:55 pm
  • Mental health laws could be better. Many states have cut their budget and now people that used to be held in wards are out free. Apparently the person behind this school shooting had certified mental problems.

There's not much you can do in a free country. I mean, you're free to go shoot people if you want, that's the price of freedom. I do think the 2nd amendment is a little outdated now. Does everyone need the right to a gun?
  • Posted: December 15, 2012 7:40:56 pm
  • I am not a proponent for full gun control, but I do think there should be controls on assault rifles. That would get the most dangerous items out of the way a bit.

Link to the petition?
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: December 16, 2012 12:34:36 am
  • I think it is probably the one on the government website...I will try to find it in the morning.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 16, 2012 3:34:53 pm
  • Here is the link....

http://wh.gov/RN6U

Not all situations will be avoided but my theory is IF we can prevent the assault weapons from getting into the hands of nut jobs then we will give more people the opportunity to live because the nut jobs will be limited on the number of shots fired.

Anything we can do is better than nothing. I am not a fan of banning guns BUT again a collective effort by both sides we should be able to come up with better controls / processes.
  • Posted: December 17, 2012 4:55:30 pm
  • My 2 cents:

Legislation to make assault rifles more difficult to obtain might sound like a good idea, but let's go back to Prohibition. Alcohol was illegal, did that stop people from drinking? Let's come back to something more current: the war on drugs. Drugs are illegal so no one can get their hands on them, right? How about something even more current: illegal movie/music/etc downloads. All the sites and software for those downloads have been shut down, right?

Simply making something illegal is not a fix-all. There needs to be training so that people respect weapons. I don't disagree that this was a major tragedy and that something needs to be done, but passing new legislation for gun control will only address part of the issue. Especially since the guns that were used were legally obtained by another party and then stolen to be used for this, what kind of checks should be used? Don't allow anyone with possibly unstable family members to purchase guns? Might as well make it illegal for anyone with a relative who has a drinking problem to own a car that might be driven by that person.

I am purposefully making simple comparisons to get my point across. The guns did not cause this tragedy, a person did. That person needed help and did not receive it. To blame the guns would be a knee-jerk reaction.

I will step off my soap-box now. Feel free to flame me, I have my opinions and will stand by them until someone offers a valid alternative. Sorry if this sounded like a rant, I have just seen too many people using this (and the other shootings) as fuel for the gun control fire.

Last edited December 17, 2012 4:57:18 pm
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: December 17, 2012 8:32:44 pm
  • Outlawing is not perhaps the answer look people should carry its a deterrent for crime BUT crazy people should not. Anyone treated for a mental disease should have to notify the FBI.
  • Posted: December 18, 2012 6:34:25 am
  • I'd add that I live in an state which had one of the worst mass killings of the century in 1996 (For Australia I mean - Port Arthur Massacre). We have some of the strictest gun legislation in the world, which was introduced almost immediately after that event. If you're a farmer, or into hunting or pistol sport, etc, you can still own weapons. There's just very strict and regular checks to obtain/keep them, and strict methods of storage and so on (the other states have more or less followed suit as well)

Do we still have gun related crime? Yes. Have we had a mass killing even close to that level since then? No.
    The worst since then with a firearm was two deaths and four or five injuries (still terrible though).

I've lived two-thirds of my life under this sort of legislation, and, at least for people my age, the idea of having a gun sitting in my closet is as foreign a notion as possible. It's fairly accepted that if you're robbed (whether your house, your store or your person) your best bet is to just to accede to their demands and let law take over. Sure they might not always be found, but I can't think of anyone that's died in recent memory from giving into to some doped-up robber's demand for cash.

Mental health services is obviously an issue too and gun control by itself shouldn't be seen as a catch-all solution, but people will always fall through the cracks. People make mistakes, and governments often don't have the resources to prevent every single one, so more pervasive mental health services won't completely solve the issue either; Like many things, I think it needs to be a multi-faceted approach that each cover and overlap specific aspects of the problem.

Two things that strike me: firstly, I know how much stock you guys tend to put into your constitution and it's fine to consider issues in light of it, especially for protection of rights and liberties, but I think that's clouding the issue for this particular 'right'. It was created in a time very far removed in terms of technology, the evolution of morals and ideals, and so on. Also, it was probably hard to go on a rampage with an 18th century musket....

But then, I'm not American so I'm not particularly intimate with attitudes and issues that are part of your daily lives. So, y'know, grain of salt and all that.

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
  • Posted: December 18, 2012 9:29:38 am
  • SilentAssassin said:
    Outlawing is not perhaps the answer look people should carry its a deterrent for crime BUT crazy people should not. Anyone treated for a mental disease should have to notify the FBI.

That's a no-brainer, the problem is people have easy access to the weapons.
    I've heard the argument "If the teachers carried guns they may have been able to stop it"...yeah probably. But what if said teacher goes to work after his wife asked him for a divorce and to top it off the head of the school tells you they have to let you go because of whatever...snap!! blam! blam! Doh...maybe not such a good idea.

You can argue both sides until you're blue in the face, I don't think there is a clear cut answer because you'll always have that X factor (no pun intended)
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Archie Comics Group's Betty & Veronica Decades: The 1970s TPB # 1
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 33
  • JY's Online! Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Man vs Venom Special # 1