feature requests

Found why the economy is trash. (Comic Book Forums)

• Found why the economy is trash.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 16, 2011 9:04:20 am
  • We are heading for an even worse recession here in the US and globally according to this very respective company that watches trends. They said we have not seen anything yet and that unemployment will hit double digits next year. We will be in this mess for many more years and the politicians here in the US is even more divided than many years ago. Our country is falling apart and the separation between the haves and have nots are bigger than they ever been.

I often wonder what kind of parent I am bringing children into this kind of a world sometimes I wonder if it were better not having kids so I would not have to worry about them surviving in this kind of a world.

There are a lot of people who live beyond their means plan and simple. I am guilty of it to, to a certain extent though I will say I have done a good job keeping bills to a minimum however that is not enough. Bills do not count food and gas and the other small things you need. Not too mention the things you need to raise a family. I feel for a lot of people and I do think things are just sad.

It really is getting to the point where we will start seeing the beginning of a depression, all the stimulus the FED has injected into the economy is hurting us it is putting bubbles into the recovery and making things worse. There is an old economic rule that is called the Invisible Hand Theory and it states the more intervention you have by not allowing things to run their natural course the worse things will get and the longer problems will hang around. We need to let things run their course but we (U.S.) will not.

• Posted: October 16, 2011 9:06:16 am
  • durer73 said:
    I just have been feeling really down lately. I get hammered every day about sales and there is nothing I can do about. Additionally I recently purchased a home after renting for about 10 years. The house I rented was valued at about 40,000 and after 10 years of renting I paid 36,000 on the home my last months power bill at my old address was $600.

Keep your chin up pal and know that alot of other people are in the same boat. I mean I'm only 23 and therefore haven't bought a house of anything, but I live with my old man who's 62, has no assets, only rents, is on a meagre salary. He's never going to be able to get a loan for a house for some security, me and my older brother have taken it upon ourselves to save as much as we can to get a deposit on a house so he doesn't have to worry about it but it's hard when we both have limited income.

To me it's amazing that a house can be valued at $40,000. The cheapest here is about $120,000 and that's only if you want to risk living in a dodgy suburb. The average stands at about $200,000 I think. By the way, I'm not trying to belittle your circumstances either, just pointing out the situation across the big pond (I suppose what makes up for it is that our minimum wage is a fair bit higher than the US). It's the same situation just with different numbers.

durer73 said:
    The home was 120 years old and I could not get the landlord to fix anything, no insulation, broken windows, bathroom, back porch you name it. With all of that when my landlords wife/workers went to my mother and informed them that I left the home a mess and that they had to fix it. For 10 years I increased the wealth of this person who was already better off than I will probably ever be thanks to college, have nothing to show for it and they now complain about the things that I have been asking them to fix for years. So, I found a good deal on a foreclosure and purchased it. Now I have lowered my power bill and at least am putting my money into something I own.

That me off something fierce. I know exactly what you mean - the place we rent now is owned by someone in Victoria (I live in Tasmania which is an island) who only visited the house when he bought it and since then hasn't said a word as long as the cheque comes through every fortnight. Never mind the fact that the house is falling down around us because of the land-slide that this area is renowned for.

durer73 said:
    I have 2 cars that I am paying on, cellphone, internet, cable and I do not know what to cut. Started purchasing comics online couple of years ago to save money, both of my cars get above 30 miles to the gallon and on the home phone I only have a lifeline.

The cost of everything is just to much today and companies continually want to charge for what until recently was free with the claim that it is a premium feature. I see this and hear the people that I work with daily claim that young people don't know how to save or spend their money wisely. This is from people who grew up when TV was free broadcast, there were no cellphones, internet and you could buy a loaf of bread for a quarter.

I used to pay for the Aussie equivalent of cable but had to stop because I didn't have the money for it. I guess it helps to think that food and housing are the two most basic necessities that a quarter of the globe do not have, so anything beyond that is a bonus. It's hard to give up things that you've become accustomed to but these days people have no choice with the rampant profiteering that goes on. It's kind of amazing to hear what things used to cost and what they cost now with little actual difference in service. The problem is that the cost of things keep rising yet people's income remains relatively static.

durer73 said:
    I think that everything is overpriced to the point where it can not change and will not until a riot breaks out in the US. The problem is that with the burden of student debt and the fact that no one has any savings anymore we can't leave work to protest. It has become go to your job and have a home or protest and be homeless. And the wealthy need some more tax cuts to create jobs after all the largest company in the US GE paid little to no taxes last year and they have created more jobs right.

I was having a chat to my brother today when we walked his dog, that it's only a matter of time before things reach such an extreme that people will start revolting. People are too relaxed in Australia and will and moan but never actually do anything - but that's going to change. Next year sees a 17% increase in power costs (and I live in a state that relies almost solely on hydro-electricity which costs nothing beyond maintenance) and a carbon tax for pollution (which will make no difference compared to China, India, Brazil & the US): people will start rioting.
    I'm not surprised at this naked attempt from companies to extract more money from the poor, I'm only surprised that the poor haven't marched as one against the governments.

Anyway, I hope now that you've got your own place you can tuck away a bit more moolah.
    'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
  • Posted: October 16, 2011 9:40:11 am
  • You must see where this ties into politics though. Obama has copped an absolute thrashing recently and a few of the news reports here have had US citizens complaining about his impotence and ineptitude, however as far as I can see that weaves into a general lack of efficiency in congress and all this petty politicking. He can only achieve what he is permitted within the system to achieve. The same occurs here and in every other democratic state. There was a fair bit in the papers about health care reforms and the implementation of public health care which some Americans seemed to find abhorrent - pretty much every other liberal sovereign state has public healthcare. , without it, most Australians would be down the proverbial crapper. It stinks of the rich not wanting their medical system bogged down with the plebiscites.
    The government here (I might state that I f*&^ing hate Jula Guilard) points to the fact that during the GFC and it's aftermath we've managed to keep a 5.5% unemployment, but that says nothing about how well people are living and affording to live. This is particularly true since we have a fairly strong welfare system that supports huge amounts of people. In fact at last count, something like 40% were struggling to survive with Centrelink (Welfare) support.

I really want to have kids, but I wonder too about the ethics of it all. It's not just financial constraints either, but things like climate change and overpopulation too. I mean historical trends say a Malthusian Crisis (google it :lolSmile has to happen sooner or later.

Alot of people live beyond their means. Whether that's because the market TELLS us we need it or otherwise. You could argue that you have food and water and shelter and therefore anything beyond that is superfluous, but even being without internet is to be seen as somehow being deprived. I could certainly live without my mobile phone, as it stands I only spend about $10 a month on it anyway - though that would change without the net!

SilentAssassin said:
    It really is getting to the point where we will start seeing the beginning of a depression, all the stimulus the FED has injected into the economy is hurting us it is putting bubbles into the recovery and making things worse. There is an old economic rule that is called the Invisible Hand Theory and it states the more intervention you have by not allowing things to run their natural course the worse things will get and the longer problems will hang around. We need to let things run their course but we (U.S.) will not.

This is where I disagree. The IHT or doing half IHT/half intervention is exactly what has allowed the system to develop in the way that is has. Aside from the global trading networks of pre-17th century, exploitation started from blossoming European powers dictating a lassaiz fare (open) market to those they encountered. Everything from slavery to the Opium Wars can be blamed on a desire for European markets to cash in on free markets. Unrestrained capitalism is what has resulted in the very excessive prices you (and I) complain about. It means people can charge what they want when they want, without any political oversight - which in a democratic nation is th only form of say we have.
    Personally, though I think that capitalism results in innovation that wouldn't normally be obtained, the profits should come under some sort of popular oversight. If BP had been a country instead of a transnational corporation, there would have been severe repercussions over the gulf oil spill, but instead it's merely a question of forking over money.
    'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.'
  • Posted: October 16, 2011 9:49:39 am
  • And now I'm going to shut up for a little while since i've talked the hind leg off a dog. Laughing
  • Posted: October 16, 2011 2:47:20 pm
  • I enjoy discussion. Smile

Well call it what you may we are all in the crapper. The poor here are too lazy to protest anything and the middle class can't afford to as it was posted a littler earlier in this string.

Change will come but it will not be from this generation it will be a while before we get any real change.

• Posted: October 17, 2011 3:39:08 pm
  • I honestly don't know even if change will come with the next gen either. The optimistic future of Star Trek is looking more and more like it is becoming the worlds of Philip K. or George Orwell. Maybe if I am good I can get a job at the Ministry of Truth so I will at least know what it is before I change it. And of course I am being funny.
  • Posted: October 17, 2011 8:41:44 pm
  • The kids today who are changing today's world with innovations and such will be the ones who will mend this world together I believe. The people in charge now are selfish and do not care about the greater good. The kids today see things in a much different light then we ever have or probably could.

I think at some point you will see China become democratic as well, the old rule will come down.
  • Posted: October 21, 2011 7:33:37 am
  • SilentAssassin said:
    The kids today who are changing today's world with innovations and such will be the ones who will mend this world together I believe. The people in charge now are selfish and do not care about the greater good. The kids today see things in a much different light then we ever have or probably could.

I think at some point you will see China become democratic as well, the old rule will come down.

Definitely true. They're far more environmentally and humanitarian minded than the old coots leading the world right now. I think it's more that they'll alter the attitudes of states towards climate change and humanitarian intervention, but I reckon it'll be far longer before they address the fundamental issues of the system. But yes, I think only positive things can happen once the has-beens are gone.

Having studied a bit on China, I think it will take a while for democracy (as inherently flawed that is in its current form) to take hold. It was believed that them adopting a laissez faire capitalism and a free market would change that quickly, it's been anything but. They've managed to retain an authoritarian regime whilst still having a somewhat open-door to trade and investment. What'll be interesting is what, if any, changes they implement once they have a higher GDP than the US and can therefore influence the direction of things.

durer73 said:
    Maybe if I am good I can get a job at the Ministry of Truth so I will at least know what it is before I change it. And of course I am being funny.

As long as you are lenient on me when you're spying on my deviant behaviour.
  • Posted: October 21, 2011 8:55:46 am
  • I pray and rely on Jesus. one thing i've learned is that if you depend on government or a politician you'll regret it, no matter their affiliation. The career ones especially seem to say anything they want to keep their job.

To the occupy people, i think they should go after the ones that made it ok for these corporations to not pay taxs, (GE). Paid nothing last year from what i heard and it was legal. Why is that legal? Just my 2 cents..
  • Posted: October 21, 2011 9:58:20 am
  • quiksilverwv said:
    I pray and rely on Jesus. one thing i've learned is that if you depend on government or a politician you'll regret it, no matter their affiliation. The career ones especially seem to say anything they want to keep their job. To the occupy people, i think they should go after the ones that made it ok for these corporations to not pay taxs, (GE). Paid nothing last year from what i heard and it was legal. Why is that legal? Just my 2 cents..

Although I can't quite place my faith in , you're nonetheless right; it's foolish to place any sort of reliance on governments or politicians. To me it's a huge problem that politicians are people that want to be in a position of authority - you know, all that guff about the best leaders being people that don't want to rule.

I understand what you're saying about the Occupy Wall Street protesters, but where do you begin? Corporations have been given incredible leeway from the government right back to the English/Dutch/French East India Company. Personally, I just struggle to wrap my head around the fact a company can be worth x one day and y the next - something shouldn't be judged beyond it's actual assets.

About legality - even if it was illegal, they would move offshore. All Transnational Corporations, whether you're talking about Nike or Coke or whatever, can shift across borders whenever it suits them. TNCs have no political oversight and don't really have to answer to anyone.
42 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 70 years, 343 days, 15 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Action Comics Issue # 1059f
  • DC Comics's City Boy Issue # 6b
  • Square Enix Books's My Clueless First Friend Soft Cover # 4
  • Little Brown Ink's Reggie Hard Cover # 1