feature requests

CGC policy on Qualified books (Comic Book Forums)

• CGC policy on Qualified books

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 1, 2014 7:56:47 am
  • Then they should post/publish what their grading ranges are. I.e. tear means this, missing piece means that. At least with the standard grading system we can all be in agreement with what it means. Now that they are the "standard" they tend to grade things differently between graders. They use the same universal .5 - 10.0, but don't use the same logic everyone else does...
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: April 1, 2014 11:59:09 am
  • ferpuerto said:
    in all fairness they have become the standard
    What's fair about that?
  • Posted: April 1, 2014 2:10:10 pm
  • junobeach said:
    ferpuerto said:
    in all fairness they have become the standard
    What's fair about that?

What is fair about any standard. I mean collectors take them seriously because they are pretty consistent. Again 3 different people have to agree on a single grade, not just one
  • Posted: April 6, 2014 7:09:31 pm
  • So, as they have indicated - "Buyer Beware." In other words before you buy a Qualified CGC book, read the label carefully to judge for yourself what the true grade is to you.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: April 18, 2014 7:51:03 am
  • Hmm yes, I was just speaking about this recently...

CGC has to much of a monopoly on grading, to a point where all people see is that number rather than the actual book. Grading will never be a perfect science, but I had actually not read this post before. An 8.0 with a story page missing are you kitten me right meow?

CGC is so expensive and hardly gets blasted as much for their flaws, it's sad for people who try to collect or sell raw who get totally screwed by high prices of CGC books.
  • Posted: May 2, 2014 2:06:27 am
  • I was in my LCS today and they had a 9.8 X-Men #266 (1st Gambit). I looked at it and the cover is miscut.

You can see in the cover from this site that there is equal amount of space between The Uncanny and the edge of the book. The one at the shop had a lot of space between The and the edge while the end of Uncanny was just clipped off. I looked at it and laughed. It immediately made me think of this thread.

"You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
26 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 69 years, 238 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Rosarium Publishing's Box Of Bones Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Death of the Venomverse Issue # 5h
  • DC Comics's Spirit World Issue # 5b
  • DC Comics's WildC.A.T.s Issue # 11d