feature requests

Emilia Clarke’s Debut Comic Book Follows a Single Mom Whose Secret Weapon Is Her Period (Comic Book Forums)

• Emilia Clarke’s Debut Comic Book Follows a Single Mom Whose Secret Weapon Is Her Period

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 12:13:22 pm
  • Oh boy. I can’t wait NOT to buy this.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/emilia-clarke-comic-book-mom-secret-invasion-1234990276/

Another key identifier for the character is that all of her powers manifest from her menstrual cycle.

“The bloating, the hair growth, the mood swings, the [acne], all of it. We hate that when it happens, speaking for myself and everyone I’ve ever met who has had a period. What if we turned that around and made the period something that we can feel as this unique, crazy, superhuman thing that happens in our body? When Maya is scared, she goes invisible, when she’s angry, she has superhuman strength. She can swing like Spider-Man from her armpit hair,” Clarke says.

• Posted: June 9, 2021 1:13:06 pm
  • I have no problems with actress Emilia Clark (Game of Thrones' Daenerys Targaryen) writing whatever comic book she wishes. If she thinks the comic book buying public is interested in a "super hero" that gains her powers from her menstrual cycle, she is in for a big disappointment in sales. Her name alone will not be enough to sell that book.
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 1:22:19 pm
  • I concur. She definitely has the freedom to author any comic she wants. Still, why would the editors at Image approve such a bad idea? The protagonist can swing from her armpit hair? Is she serious or being facetious? Just an overall odd concept.
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 2:24:54 pm
  • Heard about this a few months ago. I hate when people who know nothing about comics think they can get into the industry and do something relevant. It is an insult to every comic book reader out there.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 9:38:04 pm
  • Guys, this not targeted at us, this is for all those young women who read comics looking for a hero they can relate with.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: June 11, 2021 9:53:11 am
  • Canuck that's where I disagree. To think that a young woman who reads comics can't enjoy the same things as a young man or an older man/woman, is somewhat narrow minded. I am not attacking you at all, I am criticizing the intentions of the writer and those who fall into this stereotype. As a long time collector I've always felt that comics were a medium that everyone could enjoy, regardless of age or gender. Some years ago I met a girl who loved reading G.I. Joe. She had every single issue and collected the toys. She knew more about the franchise than anyone I have ever met and she was in her early 20s. I've also met a guy who was probably Sailor Moon's biggest fan–even dressed up in cosplay. And this one strange older guy who is always at my local comic book shop also comes to mind. He picks up titles like My Little Pony and Duck Tales. Out of curiosity I asked him if he was buying these for a kid or himself. He explained that he enjoys them because it takes him back to his childhood days. I don't question it. I guess my thoughts are that if comic book writers are focused on a strong story, it should attract all people. Not just one type. Why would anyone in an industry that is already hurting try to single out readers? In this case the writer obviously doesn't want men picking up her book, but the irony, and I very much would bet on this because of who her fans are, is that men will mainly be buying it.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 11, 2021 11:57:32 am
  • I'm going to have to agree with Rapha1978 on this one. Aren't comic books for everyone? Yes, there will be books that appeal to males more. And there will be other books that appeal more to women. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

It's tough enough already as any new book is immediately put into it's own category: super-hero, horror, fantasy, comedy, sci-fi, drama, etc.. So why write or create a comic book that's so one-sided? It would be like if I was releasing a new comic book and I aim it only at tall people. Sorry shorty's, this book is not for you!!

Not to mention that comic books are mostly read by men. Not boys, girls or women, Men. Over 30 years old and usually fairly intelligent as well. I'm going to assume that not very many of them want to read, let alone look or listen, to a tale involving a lady's menstrual cycle!!!
  • Posted: June 11, 2021 12:56:17 pm
  • Rapha and Bruc made some excellent points. It’s difficult enough to sell a new series to anyone—to get new readers to take a chance—so why focus the story on a niche market?

Honestly though, I’m not sure who would be interested in such an absurd concept as a woman whose powers are derived from her period unless it’s third wave feminists. Good luck sustaining an ongoing series with that limited fan base buying her comics, Wink
  • Posted: June 11, 2021 3:20:49 pm
  • I never said girls don't want to read comics boys do. Wink
    I agree comics are for everyone and girls can read GI Joe or Batman but just like us we can choose not to read something for whatever reason and if the concept that Clarke is using isn't to yours/mines liking doesn't mean it's wrong. Heck I don't like 99% of comics being put out these days but that doesn't mean somebody does like them. My point is if this succeeds or fails it's just another comic book.

Last edited June 11, 2021 4:14:57 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 20, 2021 2:58:59 am
  • brucifer said:
    Her name alone will not be enough to sell that book.

It will be enough to sell at least the first issue. I predict a steeeeeeep drop after that. This has "Longbox Junk" written all over it.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 22, 2021 12:04:27 pm
  • I saw Emilia Clarke on The Tonight Show last night plugging her new comic book M.O.M. (aka Mother of Madness). She was pretty vague about the story, just that it was created as a "what if there was a super hero that was messed up like me.: Jimmy Fallon gushed about it while flipping through the book for a few seconds (what else is new?).

I'm assuming we will be seeing copies on The EBay for hundreds of dollars soon enough. Sigh.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 63 years, 141 days, 6 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Pumpkin Press / Larry Becker's Heat Theater Issue # 1
  • Kodansha Comics's Heaven's Design Team Soft Cover # 6
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin Issue # 4aod
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 7c