feature requests

Earth X Artist John Paul Leon Dies at 49 (Comic Book Forums)

• Earth X Artist John Paul Leon Dies at 49

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 3, 2021 11:10:01 am
  • Leon started his career at the age of 16, illustrating for the Dragon and Dungeon magazines. His move to comics began with RoboCop (1992) and RoboCop: Prime Suspect (1992) for Dark Horse Comics. He then worked for DC Comics on Static (1993) and Static Shock!: Rebirth of the Cool (2001), helping launch the Milestone Comics Universe. He also worked on The Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix (1996), The Winter Men (2005) and Batman: Creature of the Night (2017). He was nominated for an Eisner along with Tom King for his work on the short story "Black Death in America," which debuted in Vertigo's CMYK: Black issue.

Leon also contributed artwork to a number of style guides for comic book films, including Superman Returns, Batman Begins, Green Lantern and The Dark Knight.

https://www.cbr.com/john-paul-leon-dies-static-earth-x/
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 4, 2021 10:07:03 am
  • He was a really talented artist. Walt Simonson posted something really nice about Leon on his facebook account. I did not know that he had taught him early in his career. I will paste it below:

"This one is tough to write.

John Paul Leon caught the last train out this morning. JP was a brilliant artist and, I was lucky enough to be his teacher at SVA in the early 90s. It’s not that I taught him anything; It’s that the other students and I got to watch such talent blossom. Shortly into his junior year, he scored the penciling job on the new comic, Static, for the new company, Milestone Comics. So he was carrying a full load of classes as well penciling 22 pages and a cover every month. I taught a class on comics storytelling, and gave weekly assignments along with an overarching project running both semesters. Mine was the last class of the day in that particular classroom. So some students including John Paul would often hang out after class. We would talk about comics, about storytelling, about the industry, and about anything else that might come up really. John Paul approached me one late afternoon, and asked if it would be possible for me to consider his Static work as his assignments in lieu of the ones I was giving the class. Since the monthly book meant that he would be producing roughly 16 and half times the work of any other student over a semester let alone carrying a full course load elsewhere, I thought I could let him slide. So he brought in pages of Static as he did them, and we talked about them.
    To some extent, he was an example of the old Thomas Edison aphorism, “Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” Except that in John Paul’s case, I’m pretty sure it was more like 50/50. Maybe 60/40.

A brilliant artist, a good friend. Never have I felt the truth of John Donne’s words as keenly as I do tonight--
    “Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”

Godspeed, John Paul. All our love, pal, from both of us. Thank you for everything."

Last edited May 4, 2021 10:07:22 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 95 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Anglo-American Publishing Co.'s Grand Slam Comics Issue # 39
  • HECK Editions / Gates of Heck, Inc's Original Sin: The Visionary Art of Joe Coleman TPB nn
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters Issue # 3 616-b
  • Atheneum Books's Stuntboy, in the Meantime Hard Cover # 1