feature requests

DC Comics Closing; Jim Lee Leaving Says Ethan Van Sciver (Comic Book Forums)

• DC Comics Closing; Jim Lee Leaving Says Ethan Van Sciver

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 13, 2020 6:59:06 pm
  • I know it's just speculation but it seems like Van Sciver has been right before. I just hope it isn't true... Jim Lee is really the only one left at DC who can save their publishing. If he goes, it will be the end of it. It'll be over. The ones who will hurt the most will be the comic shops and thinking about that makes me sad. It's hard to fathom that just a few years ago when they launched "Rebirth" they were doing so well. Readers, myself included, got excited and it seem like there was going to be a new era for the characters. Who would have thought that in just a few years it could be coming to an end...
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 13, 2020 7:55:06 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I know it's just speculation but it seems like Van Sciver has been right before. I just hope it isn't true... Jim Lee is really the only one left at DC who can save their publishing. If he goes, it will be the end of it. It'll be over. The ones who will hurt the most will be the comic shops and thinking about that makes me sad. It's hard to fathom that just a few years ago when they launched "Rebirth" they were doing so well. Readers, myself included, got excited and it seem like there was going to be a new era for the characters. Who would have thought that in just a few years it could be coming to an end...

I never wanted to see DC Comics (or Marvel for that matter) fold, but when an entertainment company hires political activists and ideologues to write and edit their stories, escapists seeking fun entertainment are going to stop buying their products. The same will happen when these people start forcing this stuff into the movies.

That said, if DC does farm out there intellectual properties, I’ve always wanted to read a Batman and Wolverine crossover. Laughing
  • Posted: November 14, 2020 11:16:02 am
  • I agree Iogerine. Too many creatives working for the big two right now that just don't understand why people read comic books and are using this medium as a form to push their own personal agendas. If it was relevant to the characters and story I would not mind, but what we've been getting feels very much forced. I stopped reading Marvel a long time ago when they tokenized major characters by turning them into women or another race. It was hardly relevant at all. I kept with DC for a while but the same stuff showed up and eventually there were few titles that interest me anymore. After Bendis got on the Superman titles it was basically over for me. Maybe Jim Lee will branch out and start another company again. Right now I am enjoying this hobby reading independent titles and collecting back issues.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 14, 2020 3:14:56 pm
  • What a depressing read. I'm just so baffled that DC doesn't know how to sell comic books anymore!! They want to spend their time pushing digital comics and Trade Paper Backs? What a waste of time!!

Perhaps, as Rapha and logerine mentioned, they should stop writing "woke" stories and just keep to entertaining the (older) masses who actually buy their stuff and have been for many years. Us long-time readers only want good reads. Not millions of variants or "updating" beloved characters for no good reason.

I don't feel bad for Mr. Jim Lee. He's a hard-working artist and I'm sure he has some money in the bank. He'll land on his feet. Maybe he'll license Batman or Superman and hopefully do something fun and entertaining with them?
  • Posted: November 14, 2020 6:07:50 pm
  • Not sure who would swoop in publish these characters as I'm sure AT&T will want full control to what happens with them. Also they'll want the rights to stories produced so they can use them for movies and what not. They'll also want a percentage of sales if not a boat load of cash up front just for the rights to publish their books. Publishers have no one to blame but themselves as the price of books keeps going up and the quality keeps going down...and catering to the the flipper who's just looking to make a buck with all the variants all the while ignoring the very fans that have been keeping them afloat all these years.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: November 14, 2020 8:18:27 pm
  • As a foreigner i don't understand the concept "variant covers", here in europe that doesn't exist. Nowadays it is difficult to sell uberhaut comics because the youth is stimulated by so much else. I want to buy a comic book but not the same 50 times just for a different front cover ... it is hard enough to get people to buy comics let alone thousands of variants, that also comes with a cost and it attracts the wrong audience who only want money earn through extortionate prices. a true comic lover doesn't care about the value. I have the feeling that your market is all about variants ... and that will undoubtedly lead to ruin. I only buy TPB / HC from the US just because I want to collect the entire series (story) and don't want to pay extra for 10 pages of advertising per comic and / or expensive variants ...
    Here in Europa only a first print is value and we have reprints over the years after the comicrelease, but variants does not excists. I wanna collect the "storys" not the frontcover.

Just mine two cents dough Cool

Last edited November 14, 2020 8:43:51 pm
    Paling & Ko by Francisco Ibáñez

• Posted: November 15, 2020 1:38:28 am
  • I want to move to Belgium pronto. I hate variants!!
  • Posted: November 16, 2020 2:25:32 pm
  • @Canuck Portions of that second article are pretty depressing, in particular the coming demise of the brick and mortar comic shops. Buying and selling online is fine, but for a lot of comic book enthusiasts a large part of the fun is the camaraderie with shop owners and fellow patrons. I know this has already happened to some book store chains. It’s just, comic shops are different. It’s a place you can go where everyone knows your name. Smile
  • Posted: November 16, 2020 3:20:39 pm
  • Unfortunately most people buy new releases via a online store (and they may have a brick & mortar store as well) because they get larger discounts and this has already drastically reduced the number of comic shops across North America. I shop local and when I'm traveling I do stop in the LCS's to drop a few bucks to help out but I'm probably in the small minority of the people that do that now.
    I'm afraid the end is coming sooner than later
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: November 17, 2020 11:37:20 am
  • Canuck said:
    I shop local and when I'm traveling I do stop in the LCS's to drop a few bucks to help out but I'm probably in the small minority of the people that do that now.
    I'm afraid the end is coming sooner than later

I also shop local in any town I go to that has an LCS. What I've seen is that a large majority of the shops I go to also do games and gaming in general. While there are specialty gaming stores that don't sell many comics if at all, most comic shops that have space have branched out, and they'll make it in the long run. One shop I go to in town makes more money off of their Friday Night Magic releases than any particular month of comics, and they carry a wide range of publishers.
  • Posted: November 17, 2020 12:07:30 pm
  • Pretty much every Comic Book Store in the Toronto region sells board games, T-shirts, Magic: The Gathering, mugs, video games, key chains, posters, glassware and oodles of non-comic book stuff as well. That has been going on for over ten years!! You walk into the store and you see zero comic books. They're always in the back.
  • Posted: November 17, 2020 7:51:59 pm
  • They will come back around. Marvel will fill the void for now, but people will be looking for more DC. Problem is cooperate America getting involved. Instead of focusing on building a better book/story, big business want dollars. Make a book cheaper. Bet you sell more. Like the cover price is off the charts for a collector. Cut the price in half and the numbers will flow again.
  • Posted: November 20, 2020 10:00:09 pm
  • Industry-wise, this would definitely be sad, and 'ending-an-era' kinda thing. WHAT IF..? What if Marvel, or say..Image were able to purchase the publishing rights to the DC Universe? Could you imagine??
    As for actually collecting DC comics, I can't say it would really bother me. There's no DC book that I'm really into. I would save a little bit of money, and there's TONS of back issues to try and get so, I tend to look at it that way.
    I also kinda think, they may shut it down..for awhile, but could very possibly come back! Could you imagine, no DC books for..3, 4, or 5 years, and then they come back with just a few books of their all-time most popular characters? DC-starved fans would eat that up(I think), the flip side of that would be, possible speculators buying TONS of copies hoping the 'restart' would be worth a bunch of money, and I suppose that is possible.
    For now, I get enough stuff that isn't DC that it won't really affect me. But if something happens to the Independent's and Marvel, THEN things would get real for me. But I digress.
    I 100% feel bad though for the shops that it would effect, and would damage, financially. Comics are an amazingly fun hobby, and for those that have shed blood, sweat and tears, and it's their life..I really sympathize with them. For their sake, let's hope the worst doesn't happen.

Last edited November 20, 2020 10:02:00 pm
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 58 years, 184 days, 12 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Monsters from the Vault's Dark Interlude Issue # 1d
  • Western Printing Co.'s March of Comics Issue # 56
  • Western Printing Co.'s March of Comics Issue # 58c
  • Western Printing Co.'s March of Comics Issue # 187c