feature requests

Kickstarter Campaign for Keanu Reeves’ BRZRKR Under Fire From Industry Professionals (Comic Book Forums)

• Kickstarter Campaign for Keanu Reeves’ BRZRKR Under Fire From Industry Professionals

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 4, 2020 4:58:33 pm
  • The person who backs that 10K level gets:

You will receive the ORIGINAL COVER ART by JAE LEE for the REKT PLANET ASHCAN! Shipped to you wrapped in plastic and on a sturdy Masonite board!
    Included Items
    JAE LEE ORIGINAL COVER ART

I’ve watched some auctions on comic link for original art. The bids get pretty crazy. 10K seems high, even for an original, one of a kind, Jae Lee cover. I guess that’s why it hasn’t sold. For the big spenders, I guess. I ain’t one of them. Laughing
  • Posted: September 8, 2020 8:12:01 pm
  • I know many people, especially struggling creators, look at these millionaires launching Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns and get . I'm one of those small fry publishers with a Kickstarter campaign and I have zero issues with these campaigns.

For one, many of these guys do this because they retain control over their properties this way, versus having a larger publishing house take control with strings attached. Also, fans can interact directly with the talent and get exclusives usually reserved just for retailers - when then jack up the price further before offering to us normal folk.

Then there is the elephant in the room called Diamond Distribution. Many established people in the industry HATE working with them. Their campaigns are a way to get around the monopoly chokehold Diamond still enjoys. Sell directly to fans willing to pay for signed editions or ebooks.

For me personally, I recently found out one of my campaign's backers signed up to Kickstarter and used the site for the first time only because of BRZRKR. He told me he's a "diehard Keanu fan" and decided to try Kickstarter to get a signed copy - a signature he's always wanted but never had a chance to get at conventions. Once on Kickstarter, he started to explore other projects and found mine. Thus, I gained from Keanu being on the platform.

Ultimately, comic books are not like other industries. If you are a Spawn fan as an example, it doesn't affect your comic book Q-tip Sawb Man or whatever because Spawn fans will support Spawn. Other campaigns lose nothing from Keanu being on Kickstarter. If anything, he's getting new people to try the platform and that can be a help to others. Ok, I'm done!
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Alien Books's Kerberos in the Silver Rain Soft Cover # 1
  • DC Comics's Nightwing Issue # 113d
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's What If? Venom Issue # 3btc/ce