feature requests

Jim Lee sees 'greater upside' in digital comics, DC scaling back its line by up to 25% (Comic Book Forums)

• Jim Lee sees 'greater upside' in digital comics, DC scaling back its line by up to 25%

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 16, 2020 12:16:42 pm
  • We'll see if Jim Lee has a job in the next year. Then I might start to believe him.
  • Posted: August 16, 2020 12:25:18 pm
  • Well he seems to have survived the initial purging at Warner/DC, but that may be because they need a fall guy to take blame for everything.

Last edited August 16, 2020 12:25:32 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 16, 2020 4:27:12 pm
  • I've lost respect for Jim Lee over the years. I could go on and on with a rant why, but it's basically that there are two Jim Lee's. One is the artist, which most of us know. And the other is CCO of DC Comics. As an artist he shines, but I remember back when he was a nobody. That's the guy I miss. Not the one who appears at comic book cons and gets treated like a Hollywoood star, charging over $100 a signature... If anyone were going to stand up for publishing I thought he would. I expected better from Lee. Reading through that article and his comments just proves he's as out of touch as everyone else in the industry. Digital comics? Seriously? He's talking about it like it's a new idea. This was a thing 7-8 years ago. Times have changed and even the nomenclature for a "digital first" comics is outdated. Ask any teenager or young adult if that gets them excited. It doesn't. It does not create more fans or readers. What's next? Is DC going to create a Superman app? Oh wow, that is revolutionary! It'll save the industry for sure (sarcasm).

Last edited August 16, 2020 4:31:28 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 17, 2020 12:28:25 pm
  • I can't begrudge creators for charging for their signature, collectors/flippers have brought this upon us. I went to the SDCC in 1991 and not one creator asked for a penny for their sig, they did ask for $10-$20 for a sketch though.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 17, 2020 1:01:38 pm
  • I have a huge, huge problem with comic book artists or writers charging for a signature. They get paid well. If it wasn't for their fans, they would be starving artists!! I remember hearing that the "talented" Rob Liefeld was charging $100 to sign New Mutants #98 recently. What a d**k!! I don't even know how he has fans in the first place. Us die-hards have to pay to get into these comic book conventions. Not to mention the very long lines we also have to wait in for just about everything including signatures. Don't even get me started on the rip-off the food courts are at these shows.

I have stood in line for hours waiting to get a signature from some personal favourites of mine. It shouldn't matter how popular they are at the time!! A signature takes a second or two (unless it's Brian Bolland who prints his signatures).

I have no problems if artists charge something for sketches. That takes more time and effort on their part.
  • Posted: August 17, 2020 1:06:59 pm
  • Hey Rapha1978, where can I get that Superman app you were talking about? DC comics is absolutely saving the industry, yeeehaaww!!
  • Posted: August 21, 2020 2:51:46 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    As an artist he shines, but I remember back when he was a nobody. That's the guy I miss. Not the one who appears at comic book cons and gets treated like a Hollywoood star, charging over $100 a signature... .

I met Jim Lee by accident in the back parking lot of a comic shop once. I didn't know he was there for a signing. . .it was for his Batman run. . .but I recognized him and he told me that if I went in and bought the new Batman comic, he'd sign it for me. I still have that Batman #608 and wouldn't sell it because he was just such a cool guy to me that day, signing a comic on the hood of his car. Not like a rock star at all. I'd rather remember him that way as well. Too bad the reality seems a bit different these days. . .

Last edited August 21, 2020 3:02:33 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 21, 2020 5:25:23 pm
  • Soon I'll be able to do a commercial....

"I saved a bunch of money when DC switched to digital."

• Posted: August 21, 2020 5:36:25 pm
  • DC Comics' future will be this.

A line of original graphic novels for adults like the Black Label stuff. Nearly all of it will be from the Bat Family.

A line of digital first comics that may or may not get collected into trade paperbacks. This will be the last vestige of the DC "Universe" as it currently stands.

Their kids and teen lines of graphic novels. Thanks to the massive success of Raina Telgemeier, Dog Man and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, that's where the real money is in comics these days.

That future could be as soon as January of 2021 or 2022, but it will be here.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 95 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Anglo-American Publishing Co.'s Grand Slam Comics Issue # 39
  • HECK Editions / Gates of Heck, Inc's Original Sin: The Visionary Art of Joe Coleman TPB nn
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters Issue # 3 616-b
  • Atheneum Books's Stuntboy, in the Meantime Hard Cover # 1