feature requests

DC layoffs reportedly a “bloodbath” (Comic Book Forums)

• DC layoffs reportedly a “bloodbath”

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 11, 2020 1:50:56 pm
  • As we reported earlier, layoffs were announced throughout Warner Bros today, with as many as 600 people getting laid off.

While I don’t have all the names of DC staffers who were let go confirmed, two people have separately told me it was “a bloodbath.”

Reports are that a large number of senior staffers were let go, including many senior editorial, marketing and administrative personnel.

Among those we’ve heard are gone: Editor in Chief Bob Harras, SVP Publishing Strategy and Support Services Hank Kanalz, VP Bobbie Chase, and editors Brian Cunningham, Mark Doyle and Andy Khouri. The latter two were key to the Black Label initiative that seemed to be making money, so a bit of a shock.

In addition, VP of Marketing & Creative Services Jonah Weiland has been laid off, I’m told. Word of the layoffs first surfaced publicly in this tweet.

Read More - https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-layoffs-reportedly-a-bloodbath/

And Here - https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-in-the-midst-of-significant-organizational-changes/

The beginning of the end for comics? Maybe... DC may just license out there characters to other publishers and choose to just do TV/Movies where the money is really at. If that works for Warner how long until Disney follows suit?
    The real victims will be comic shops, how will they survive a dying medium if the big 2 opt out?
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 13, 2020 9:42:29 am
  • Sad, but with the direction they've been going it was eventually going to happen. ...2020 strikes again.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 14, 2020 6:40:28 pm
  • I just want to add that I truly enjoy diverse characters if they are well written. But to push diversity and inclusivity just for the sake of it is nothing more than identity politics.

A character that I’ve been personally writing for my comic is Native American. But it’s not central to who she is. She faces obstacles and trials like all humans do.

Also, I wish these companies would stop hiring people based on outward appearance. Hire people who are deeply creative and deserve it based on quality of their work. It’s that simple.
  • Posted: August 16, 2020 4:10:50 pm
  • That whole focusing on diversity excuse is the lamest thing I have heard. Diversity is not what is lacking in comics. It's been around for a long time. DC and Marvel have lost touch with their readers, and I think it's why independents are so much more interesting. Take Bone for example, and yes the series ended a long time ago. The Bone's are made-up creatures, just like the Rat creatures in that comic were. Main characters were an old grandma, and her grand daughter... Where was the diversity? There was none, because Jeff Smith focused on giving readers a whole story, a great story, and making sure it was drawn well. That's what comics need more of.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 21, 2020 3:05:36 am
  • logerine said:
    Here’s another article with Jim Lee stating that DC’s focus will be on diversity and inclusivity. That should boost sales. Rolling Eyes

It worked out GREAT for Marvel. . .right? Neutral

I predict Female Flash! I'll bump this when it comes true!

Last edited August 21, 2020 3:06:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 21, 2020 12:03:49 pm
  • Why not just flip the gender and race for every character ever created and call it opposite world...Rolling Eyes Shame on you Brick wall Think

Last edited August 22, 2020 12:58:10 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 21, 2020 5:16:36 pm
  • atom said:
    logerine said:
    Here’s another article with Jim Lee stating that DC’s focus will be on diversity and inclusivity. That should boost sales. Rolling Eyes

It worked out GREAT for Marvel. . .right? Neutral

I predict Female Flash! I'll bump this when it comes true!

I liked Tangent Flash. (and the female Tangent Green Lantern)

DC does have the female Flash of JLA China running around, so I'd make her the favorite.
  • Posted: August 21, 2020 11:07:05 pm
  • Action Ace said:

DC does have the female Flash of JLA China running around, so I'd make her the favorite.

Oh yeah. . .forgot about her from New Super-Man!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 95 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Citrus Plus Soft Cover # 3
  • Yen Press's ID: Invaded - Brake-Broken Soft Cover # 3
  • Image Comics's Low Issue # 1images firsts
  • Siegel & Simon's Party Comics Issue nn