feature requests

DC’s Digital First ‘expansion’ may be foreshadowing much bigger changes (Comic Book Forums)

• DC’s Digital First ‘expansion’ may be foreshadowing much bigger changes

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 28, 2020 8:24:45 pm
  • The publisher’s deliberate communication style may be underselling an upcoming major move.
    To comic book readers who don't follow or frankly care about the idiosyncrasies of how comic books arrive in stores or their mailboxes in this weird little industry of ours, this was maybe a minor story. For fans who just want their Batman, Amazing Spider-Man, or Dav Pilkey's Dog Man one way or another, it also might have gone unnoticed that the same weekend DC separately had a member of its sales team go out and tell retailers, "All our data shows the digital consumer and the physical consumer are two different audiences."

In DC-speak, that's a bold statement, with intent.

And if you think the close timing of both of those loaded comments were coincidental, we've got a near-mint copy of Action Comics #1 for $100 to sell you

Read the whole story here - https://www.gamesradar.com/dcs-digital-first-expansion-may-be-foreshadowing-much-bigger-changes/
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: June 28, 2020 9:35:39 pm
  • I have heard some talk that you buy digital, and you can exchange for printed later?

I don't foresee a lot of digital only sales. I wouldn't ever do it without the chance of having a physical book that I might be able to sell later. But I don't know how it works...I get a voucher to exchange for the physical? Then the retailer knows how many to order, but what is in it for them.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 10:17:49 am
  • From what I understand it sounds like they are going to sell digital first, so if that's how you want your book then fine but you don't have the option to get the printed book when it comes out. If you want the printed then you must buy it as well. That's why it says the Digital and Physical consumer are different purchasers...this way DC can double dip so to speak. Big concern for those that want physical copies to sell and digital to keep and read you may end up paying twice, and if the digital becomes more popular than the print it may be the end of the printed book.

• Posted: June 29, 2020 10:23:01 am
  • I would like to know who all of these digital only people are...
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: June 29, 2020 11:02:24 am
  • Here's my take on this new digital format for DC:

DC hates their older comic book fans!! Those fans kept DC in the money for decades, but comic book sales for physical copies have been trending down so why not cater to all the "newbies" who buy only the digital format. Sounds like a winning combination to me. Greedy Dummies!!

DC keeps putting out amazing animated movies. I'll still watch all of those, but I may never buy another new DC comic book ever again!
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 12:40:22 pm
  • And if this model works...how many will follow?

• Posted: June 29, 2020 1:24:55 pm
  • If this model works everyone will. I just do not see how it can possibly work. Maybe they have done the math and if DC only makes say $1.20 per physical copy, if they sell one digital it is like selling 3 physical.

If an LCS gets 55% off I am assuming that Diamond is taking a cut too. Maybe that is 15% so that would mean the $1.20.

Maybe it costs DC $.30 for printing? Their cost is now sub-$1. Meaning sell 1 digital at $3.99 and that is like 4 physical sales. If a comic only sold normally 40,000 copies (Detective Comics) DC might normally clear $36,000 (before paying artists, writers, etc). Now, if they sell 20,000 digital only copies they might make $79,800.

In other words, they would only need to sell roughly 9025 comics to break even digitally. How many of the 40k would do digital only? Maybe 10k?

Granted the 40k usually has some extra built in for stock, etc. But here are your numbers. They just need enough people to switch.

• Posted: June 29, 2020 1:34:59 pm
  • I'm not into digital comic books. I'm guessing DC believes I am in the minority.

If I purchase a new Detective (using Dough Boy's example) comic book for $3.99US, DC comics gets their cut from the sale (I'm one of 40,00 yeehaww). I would never pay $3.99US for a digital copy. Never!!! I can't see how both physical and digital copies should be anywhere near the same price. That makes no sense financially to my brain.
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 2:32:08 pm
  • I have never bought or will buy a digital comic book. I don't see the point in it. If anyone ever tries to sell me a digital book I will have the same body language as my avatar over there on the left lol.

Last edited June 29, 2020 2:33:05 pm
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 3:04:59 pm
  • I think newer readers just want to read, they don't want to collect because of the space needed to store them or whatever, and to buy something just to flip it to make a few bucks isn't worth their time.
    I'm in the same boat as most of the older guys, I can't see paying $3.99 and have nothing in my hands. I can find sites that you can read digital issues for free if I want to read them that way so DC or whatever publisher is going to have to clean that up or they will end up just like the music industry years ago when they had to fight with Limewire and several other sharing sites to stop so creators got there $$.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 57 years, 167 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Daredevil Issue # 146
  • Marvel Comics's Daredevil Issue # 171
  • AfterShock Comics's Dark Red Issue # 10
  • Dark Horse Comics's Stephen McCranie's Space Boy TPB # 7