feature requests

DC Kills Decades Long Deal with Diamond Comic Distributors (Comic Book Forums)

• DC Kills Decades-Long Deal with Diamond Comic Distributors

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 5, 2020 5:27:05 pm
  • In an email sent to retailers, DC announced it has ended its partnership with Diamond Comics Distributors and will work with three new distributors.

DC Comics has ended its relationship with Diamond Comics Distributors.

The Hollywood Reporter obtained an email DC sent to retailers, which announced the publisher's orders will now be filled by Lunar Distribution, UCS Comic Distributors and Penguin Random House. Lunar and UCS will handle periodical releases, while Penguin provides graphic novels and collected editions.

Read More - https://www.cbr.com/dc-ends-deal-diamond-comic-distributors/

"Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: June 5, 2020 5:47:29 pm
  • This may end up hurting LCS more than helping...
    I remember back before Diamond took over shipping books in Canada a large Comic book Store did the distribution (I won't name them, I don't even know if they're still around) anyway I had a store and remember getting short shipped or not getting stuff at all because it was hot. So we would ask for the stuff we ordered and just got the song and dance that they were short shipped so some stores got allocated numbers. Then we would find out a few weeks later they would offer stuff at a marked up price and they would have at times 50-100 copies. With Midtown this could happen, but I hope not...but we live in a world of greed. Sad
    Hope this doesn't happen now as it may bite DC in the b-utt in the long run.

Last edited June 5, 2020 5:52:50 pm

• Posted: June 5, 2020 6:57:58 pm
  • I agree, I think it will hurt the industry (specifically the LCS) more. Reason being is there is one shipping fee now. But now they will have multiple, and multiple systems they have to order in.

Currently their discount is easy to calculate, but it could get convoluted.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 6, 2020 10:29:38 pm
  • My LCS is hanging by a thread now with shipping costs. This will probably be the end for him.
  • Posted: June 7, 2020 10:53:34 am
  • One of my LCS just doubled his square footage over the covid lockdown.
    Not for comics but for games and RC stuff. He said if he dealt in just comic related merchandise he would have closed years ago. He says they make very little on comics and he like most stores in Canada do the currency exchange on comics to recoup costs so on a $3.99US comic I pay $5.50+/- CDN depending on the current exchange rate they were charged. I do then get a discount of 15% off the total. I will have to ask him if they will be trying to recoup shipping charges now as well. I think it's time for me to give up the hobby as the cost doesn't meet the satisfaction/enjoyment anymore. As it is I only get 2-3 books a month now, so cutting the cord shouldn't be to difficult.

• Posted: June 7, 2020 11:27:20 am
  • Chuck over at Mile High is more than a little upset. I can see his point, as now he has to buy/order comics from a direct competitor.

Read his rant here - https://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/060520email.html

• Posted: June 7, 2020 11:54:47 am
  • glad i read more Marvel then DC lol...granted diamond will take a hit... lets hope they are able to float with Marvel at he helm. *crossing my fingers
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    NYX #3 - 1st X-23
    Amazing Spider Man #78 - 1st Prowler
    Avengers #55 - 1st Ultron
    Amazing Spider Man #134 - 1st Tarantula, 2nd Punisher
    Avengers #196 - 1st full Taskmaster
  • Posted: June 7, 2020 12:48:14 pm
  • I read both of those articles (thanks Canuck). DC comics is going to close more comic book stores than Covid-19. I hope this extremely greedy act bites them in their collective b u m-b u m's. Someone needs to be fired right away!!

Last edited June 7, 2020 12:48:55 pm
  • Posted: June 8, 2020 2:00:39 pm
  • Let's wait and see how this all pans out. I am optimistic about this news. Diamond has become a monopoly in comics and this new partnership may shake things up, I think for the better. Penguin has been in the publishing and distribution industry for much longer and they've survived, which tells me they must be doing something right. It may cause other publishers to switch over. It may cause Diamond to change their business and stay even more competitive. We'll have to see.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 64 years, 95 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Unknown Publications's Pages Issue nn
  • Homespun Productions's Parade to Gore Issue nn
  • AfterShock Comics's Search for Hu Issue # 3
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Skip and Loafer Soft Cover # 2