feature requests

Inside DC's New Print Distribution Plan (And The New Distributors Involved) (Comic Book Forums)

• Inside DC's New Print Distribution Plan (And The New Distributors Involved)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 20, 2020 1:29:00 pm
  • DC has announced a revised shipping schedule for its upcoming print books, with two new distributors stepping up to facilitate it all. This comes after the near-exclusive Direct Market comics distributor Diamond suspended distribution in late March. And although Diamond has plans to resume distribution in mid- to late May, DC has set-up new distribution deals with two mail-order comic stores that are delving into B2B comics distribution.

"To assist with the immediate distribution of DC titles during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, we've secured the assistance of two distributors to help facilitate orders of and shipping of our revised publishing schedule," DC told retailers in an email Friday afternoon. "Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors have agreed to work with us to distribute these new comics."

Newsarama has confirmed that Lunar and UCS are in fact newly-created sister companies to long-time mail-order comics giants Discount Comic Book Service (DCBS) and Midtown Comics, respectively. These two retailers are among the biggest Direct Market comic sellers, and Midtown has for years handled DC's subscription sales.

DC have canceled all orders for titles solicited for April 1 - 15 release, with retailers told to re-submit your orders for upcoming DC titles through Diamond, Lunar, or UCS.

"To that end, instead of simply 'lifting and shifting' the same scheduled titles for each of the missed in-store dates, we've made changes to the publishing schedule," DC explained in the letter to retailers. "The new schedule is designed to allow each of you to begin ordering a limited amount of DC product at first, and then ease back into the number of books that represents a normal release schedule from DC when your business can accommodate it."

As part of this, DC is also changing 'New Comic Book Day' for their titles at least, from Wednesday to Tuesday. The reason given is to "synced up release dates across all our retail channels."

DC is encouraging retailers to choose their distributor based on their location, in order for prompt receival of comic books. At this time, DC says they cannot guarantee on-time distribution outside of the United States. The distribution map is generally splitting North America to "East" and "West" sections.

Lunar is talking the lead on distribution to comic retailers based in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. They are also handling distribution to the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Saskatchewan.

USC is taking point on distribution to stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, West Virgina, and the District of Columbia. The Canadian provinces they're taking point on are New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Quebec.

For retailers outside those territories, they are encouraged to reach out to UCS, Lunar, or Diamond.

DC does reassure retailers they can continue with Diamond, with comics coming based on when Diamond is able to distribute them.

Also, retailers' wholesale discount for DC titles ordered through Diamond will be carried over to UCS and Lunar.

DC also confirms that collectibles will not be distributed by UCS or Lunar.

https://www.newsarama.com/49873-inside-dc-s-new-print-distribution-pla-and-the-new-distributors-involved.html
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 20, 2020 1:31:08 pm
  • DIAMOND Refutes DC's Notice to Retailers About Canceled Orders, States They're Still a DC Distributor

On Friday, DC told Direct Market comic book retailers that orders for titles solicited for April 1 through April 15 through Diamond Comic Distributors have been canceled with Diamond - information Diamond seems to be refuting.

On Monday morning, Diamond's parent company, Geppi Family Enterprises, sent its retail partners an email titled "BREAKING NEWS: DC Comics Ordering Update" which, among other things, seemingly contradicted what DC told retailers on Friday.

"We appreciate your patience as we work with our longtime partner, DC Comics, on details following their recent announcement regarding their upcoming slate of weekly periodicals," read Geppi's email. "We have confirmed that the orders you placed with Diamond Comic Distributors for upcoming products are still in our system and will be fulfilled when we resume the distribution of new, weekly products."

On Friday, DC said that April 1 - April 15 orders were canceled at Diamond, and introduced retailers to two new distributors - Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors - that would begin carrying DC's comics on April 28.

While not specifically acknowledging DC’s new Direct Market distribution partners Lunar (DCBS) and UCS (Midtown), Monday’s letter from Geppi/Diamond does acknowledge the new comics books DC plans to release through them, but reiterates their aim to re-establish their own distribution in mid- to late May.

"We will offer all DC Comics products that are offered to the Direct Market through our usual solicitation, FOC, and reorder processes," the Monday email from Geppi/Diamond reads.

Asked by Newsarama by email over the weekend if DC is still a “Premier” Diamond Publisher and whether Diamond is still DC’s exclusive distributor to the comic book specialty market, a spokesperson for Diamond replied by email, “DC is still a PREMIER Diamond Publisher and I cannot comment on the specific language in our contracts."

DC has not responded to Newsarama’s inquiries regarding the status of their relationship with Diamond.

https://www.newsarama.com/49888-diamond-refutes-dc-s-notice-to-retailers-about-canceled-orders.html

• Posted: April 20, 2020 1:44:47 pm
  • Initial Retailer Reaction to DC Distribution Plan Is Mixed

Newsarama continues to receive more reaction from comic book retailers about DC's plan to publish new comics beginning April 28 via two new distributors (see below).

The latest comes from Marc Nathan of Cards Comics & Collectibles in Reisterstown, MD and founder and proprietor of the Baltimore Comic-Con. Here is his written reaction in its entirety:

"DC Comics stopped being the direct market's favorite publisher when they began the Walmart deal. This is just more of the same. Public safety for our extended families should be our first thought, not selling the next issue of Batman. My store is a Diamond Comic Distributors store. I dealt with Heroes World and others in the 1990’s. It went poorly for everyone. Clearly, DC did not learn from history. Nor do they seem to care for the orders of my state or Governor. Do they believe my shut down is not for the safety of my great state of Maryland or do the simply don’t care? Their actions suggest the worst of their motives.

"I will NOT be signing up for this. I will wait for Diamond to reopen. A company run by people who love comics, it’s history and it’s passionate fans. There will be a time for the next issue of Batman, and it will be needed then. Not when it’s release puts people future in danger.

Original story: With DC moving towards its third week with no new comic books (most retailers last shipped new weekly content on March 28, DC included), the publisher has announced a plan to resume shipping new titles on April 28 utilizing a new distribution system based around prominent mail order retailers Midtown Comics and DCBS.

But reaction from retailers has been mixed, with some praising DC’s choice to resume shipping and others questioning whether the move will do more longterm harm than good as many retailers remain closed for business due to coronavirus quarantine regulations.

Joe Field of Concord, CA’s Flying Colors Comics laid out some of his issues with the plan, citing in particular the new distribution system’s reliance on Midtown and DCBS, who some retailers view as direct competitors.

“A lot isn't known yet, but a lot is being asked of retailers at a time when we're all very vulnerable. DC called this a ‘solution-focused plan’ but it initially feels like more chaos than a carefully and responsibly crafted plan,” Field explained. “We don't know what discount and terms we'll get from these new distributors. We do know that handing over our sales information to directly competing deep discounters is not attractive or workable.”

“DC did say all product will still be available through Diamond and that seems to be the more responsible course of action for most retailers, given current circumstances regarding COVID,” he stated. “And if I'm getting something wrong here, it's because the communication is incomplete, ill-timed and rather inconsiderate.”

Phil Boyle of Florida-based retailer chain Coliseum of Comics laid out his opinion on the plan more bluntly, stating “This is the most damaging and horrible decision DC could have made.”

Conversely, Jenn Haines, owner of The Dragon, which operates three stores in Guelph, Ontario which are currently open only for mail order business praised the decision.

“I think businesses should be able to adapt into the forms that they need. If DCBS and Midtown built a successful business that includes a large mail-order component, so be it. I don’t begrudge them success,” Haines said. “Look, DC is trying hard to get us our books. I don’t think we have time for all this right now in this industry. We don’t need drama. We need to come together as an industry. We need to build each other up, not tear each other down.”

“I do intend to order product. I'll be checking what my subscribers need and order to those numbers,” she concluded. “I'm ordering from Lunar. Diamond cannot direct-ship into Canada right now."

Retailer Ryan Higgins of Sunnyvale, CA’s Comics Conspiracy echoed Haines’ decision to stock DC product, stating “It's probably the best situation we could have hoped for, short of Diamond shipping books at the same time.”

“It's a slow roll out which will gives stores the ability to work with reduced staff or process orders from home. Holding back Batman #92 is probably the best idea until we're all on the same playing field,” Higgins continued. “Selling five copies of Daphne Byrne isn't going to save the industry, but it's needed to keep customer engaged with comics and their local shops.”

Batman writer James Tynion IV subsequently announced Batman #92 will go on sale sometime in June.

“As for DCBS and Midtown handling the distribution, who cares. It's like when retailers complain about Amazon,” he concluded. “These places already have your customer’s info, every customer knows about them, and yet they still shop with you. Open the account, order the comics your customers want. DC is doing the right thing.”

Still, Field summed up some of the overall worries he feels for the industry at large – and DC in particular.

“I wonder if all DC/WB/AT&T staffers will be in their offices full time by the end of April when they expect retailers to be in our shops full time to handle this new product?” Field wrote. “Some shipping lanes are still closed. Many areas of the country are shut down until mid-May at the earliest...and most comic retailers are not able to operate near 100%.”

“I wonder if WB movies will be in theaters by April 28 (they won't). Why expect more of comic book retailers than the company does of its movie wing?

"Why is there so much more pressure on DC Comics than there is on WB?” Field questioned. “Thinking about that, that's why I'm hoping there's another shoe to drop. Maybe this is a corporate tactic to move DC/WB/AT&T further away from the comics specialty market. Maybe DC is content with two mail order houses selling all their periodicals so they can then move all their book product to Random House?”

“I'm hoping the relationship between DC and Diamond can be healed, not just because it's good for those two companies but because it's good for the entire comics specialty channel,” Field concluded. “Still hoping there are more and better moves left in this gut-wrenching chess game.”

https://www.newsarama.com/49879-initial-retailer-reaction-to-dc-distribution-plan-is-mixed.html

• Posted: April 20, 2020 2:24:00 pm
  • DC...DC...DC...they need new ownership or business managers lol....
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: April 21, 2020 4:38:50 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    DC...DC...DC...they need new ownership or business managers lol....

They just got taken over by AT&T less than two years ago. As they used to say on the old Batman show, "The worst is yet to come!"
  • Posted: April 22, 2020 12:25:45 pm
  • DC comic books are not a necessity. Maybe they think it is, but it's not (dummies). Attempting to sell new books with different distributors to stores not even open yet seems moronic to me. Applause
  • Posted: April 22, 2020 1:35:39 pm
  • brucifer said:
    DC comic books are not a necessity. Maybe they think it is, but it's not (dummies). Attempting to sell new books with different distributors to stores not even open yet seems moronic to me. Applause

But this is the only way that DC will outsell Marvel...… Laughing
  • Posted: April 28, 2020 5:30:47 pm
  • DC Release Schedule for May 19 & May 26

DC has revealed their planned release schedule for the weeks of May 19 and May 26. They previously revealed their release schedule from April 28 through May 12.

DC's releases include titles that will be available each week on Tuesdays 'day-and-date' on digital platforms and at comic book stores that ordered their DC titles through new distributors Lunar and UCS.

Tuesday Diamond informed retailers any DC titles offered through other distributors through May 20 will be available through them on that date. DC titles ordered via Diamond will go on sale on Wednesdays, May 20 and 27.

Newsarama suggests readers check with their local comic shop or mail order service as to the schedule of availability of DC titles at their locations. The publisher is also providing this Comic Shop Tracker to help readers find open or operating stores offering DC releases.

DC's April 28 through May 26 release schedule reflects a limited slate of new comics and not their full originally-solicited line-up for that time period.

Here is the official schedule:

Tuesday, May 19:

New Comic Books:
    DCeased: Unkillables #3 (of 3)
    The Dollhouse Family #6 (of 6)
    The Flash GIANT #4
    Plunge #3 (of 6)
    Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #10 (of 12)
    Red Hood: Outlaw #45
    Wonder Woman #755
    Year of the Villain: Arisen #3 (3rd Printing)

New Collected Editions:
    Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy
    Nightwing: The Gray Son Legacy
    Stargirl by Geoff Johns
    The Flash by Mark Waid Book Seven

Tuesday, May 26:

New Comic Books:
    Aquaman #59
    Basketful of Heads #7 (of 7)
    Batman Beyond #43
    Books of Magic #19
    The Flash #754
    He-Man and the Masters of the Mulitverse #6 (of 6)
    Justice League #45
    The Low, Low Woods #5
    MAD Magazine #13
    Our Fighting Forces GIANT #1
    Suicide Squad #5
    Teen Titans #41
    The Terrifics #27
    Wonder Woman GIANT #4

New Collected Editions:
    Batman: The Caped Crusader Vol. 4
    New Teen Titans Vol. 11
    Superman Vol. 3: The Truth Revealed

https://www.newsarama.com/50000-official-dc-release-schedule-for-may-19-may-26.html

8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26d
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Made in Abyss Soft Cover # 12
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 4b
  • Marvel Comics's What If? Venom Issue # 3btc/ce-b