feature requests

Weekly Comics to Continue Digitally During DIAMOND Stoppage? (Comic Book Forums)

• Weekly Comics to Continue Digitally During DIAMOND Stoppage?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 30, 2020 2:05:18 pm
  • I don't know. I would never just buy digital. Is that going to be enough people paying for digital to pay for the writing, art, editing, etc?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 30, 2020 5:06:39 pm
  • I would never buy digital comics, just doesn't feel right to me. Not talking
    Yeah the pay may drop so low that well known creators will just go and do there own thing leaving the big companies to hire new talent at a lower pay scale.
    I think the price of just digital would have to drop significantly for a lot of collectors to make the move. Digital just wouldn't hurt stores it will cause a mass change in the flipping market and in time may kill the back issue market of older books as well.
    Guess we'll have to wait and see how this all shakes out. Whistle

Last edited March 30, 2020 5:09:10 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 30, 2020 6:06:48 pm
  • I don't think this will be the end of printed books. Many people in this hobby grew up with printed books, and continue to purchase them. If they did decide to just do digital, I think that a lot of people would not continue this hobby and purchase digital comics, me being one of them.

• Posted: March 30, 2020 6:49:55 pm
  • Maybe, but by snubbing the hand that feeds you (Direct Market Stores) and DC is doing exactly that by putting out DIgital before the Printed. These brick and mortar stores rely on a % of the revenue from comics sales to keep their doors open. How many stores will remain closed when this is all said and done? If print doesn't die, then maybe the direct market will.
    I think print will die at some point with a world of young people that are more environmentally aware than my/our generation. Just saying this may be the breaking point

• Posted: March 30, 2020 7:24:01 pm
  • Somebody came to their senses Dancing
    But that could change in a few weeks...

• Posted: March 31, 2020 1:12:37 pm
  • I've never purchased a digital comic. I have only read free issues online and it's still not enough to get me to want to buy one. I just don't care for the experience on my laptop or phone.

Might be a little off topic but I feel the same way about audio books. I get that some people enjoy them but I cannot stand hearing someone read to me, when my brain does a much better and faster job with printed books.

Last edited March 31, 2020 1:15:34 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 31, 2020 1:50:04 pm
  • I also have never, ever bought a digital comic book, nor will I. I'm old, stuck in my ways, and I don't want to read a comic book on my laptop.

If DC and Marvel plan on never releasing printed comic books again, we're in some trouble. I want a comic book in my hand and, if it's old, I want to smell it too.
  • Posted: March 31, 2020 5:10:10 pm
  • And now this...

DIAMOND Warns of Cash Flow Problems, Halts Payment to Vendors

Diamond Comic Distributors is holding previously-scheduled payments to its vendors this week, attributing their decision to cash flow difficulties due to coronavirus' impact on the supply chain.

In a letter from Stan Heidmann, the president of Diamond's parent company Geppi Family Enterprises, the distributor explains to its vendors that they are "no longer receiving consistent payment from our customers" and that as a result, they will "hold payments to vendors previously scheduled to release this week."

For the layman, Diamond's customers are Direct Market or "specialty" comic book shops, mail order services, bookstores, and other retail operations who buy discounted products from the distributor to sell to their customers.

"Vendors" are the comic book publishers and manufacturers of games, toys, collectibles, etc., who depend on Diamond to distribute those products to retail stores.

Here is full letter from Geppi Family Enterprises' President Stan Heidmann:

https://www.newsarama.com/49655-diamond-warns-of-cash-flow-problems-decides-not-to-pay-its-vendors-this-week.html

Last edited April 2, 2020 5:57:51 pm

• Posted: April 1, 2020 11:37:15 am
  • Next up...

REPORT: Publishers Develop Temporary Distribution Solution via ComicHub

Due to the Diamond Comic Distributors shutdown, the industry will use ComicHub to give readers access to digital books, with print copies to follow.
    "Within the next two weeks, you'll be able to buy a physical comic from your LCS--anywhere on Earth--online. You'll be able to read a digital copy the minute you buy it. Your LCS will get a free physical copy to give to you later."

https://www.cbr.com/covid-19-diamond-shutdown-comichub-temporary-distribution/

Last edited April 2, 2020 5:58:09 pm

• Posted: April 2, 2020 10:04:02 am
  • I use digital only if I have a hole in a series I just cannot find in the back issue bins and to read Golden/ Silver Age comics I can't even come close to affording. This week, I spent the same amount of money on back issues (not from the bargain bin. The full price ones) at my LCS that I would have normally spent on my and my daughter's holds.

Started reading the first 12 issues of New 52 Green Arrow I passed up when they were on the shelves. My daughter grabbed the first 6 Moon Knight comics from his last run.

May I humbly suggest this as a good idea for others right now? Check out a series you might have passed up because there was no room in your new comic budget.

Last edited April 2, 2020 10:05:29 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 2, 2020 4:51:17 pm
  • If you're a big Image Comics fan you may have to wait to get your comic fix...

Image Comics Not Part of ComicHub 'Digital-First' Program

With Diamond Comic Distributors shut down, ComicHub is helping get new books to readers, but Image Comics has opted out.
    https://www.cbr.com/image-comics-not-part-of-comichub-digital-first-program/

• Posted: April 2, 2020 5:24:45 pm
  • This shutdown is hitting small press publishers hard too. This latest video from Antarctic Press publisher Ben Dunn doesn’t sound promising: https://youtu.be/tG9nobNFVQg

Last edited April 2, 2020 5:27:54 pm
  • Posted: April 2, 2020 5:30:35 pm
  • Yeah I posted about that earlier in the thread, going to affect a lot of smaller publishers.

This just in...

'ComicHub' Temporary Distribution System 'Isn't Going Forward'

Despite being positioned by some members of the comic book press less than 48 hours ago as the solution that “saved” the comic book Direct Market, the team behind the proposal involving the ComicHub suite of tools are pulling back their plans for a temporary retail solution to Diamond Comic Distributors' suspension of service due the coronavirus.

“The ComicHub advance digital reader copy initiative isn’t going to move forward right now,” retailer John Hendrick of Big Bang Comics told Newsarama Thursday afternoon. Hendrick, along with Ryan Higgins of Comics Conspiracy, took lead roles for ComicHub in communicating the proposal to their fellow retailers and the comic book press Wednesday.

https://www.newsarama.com/49692-comichub-temporary-distribution-system-isn-t-going-forward.html

Looks like Lion Forge is closing it's doors...

LION FORGE LABS Closed, All Employees Laid Off

Polarity LTD has confirmed to Newsarama that it has closed its animation/comics development subsidiary Lion Forge Labs, with all employees laid off.

"Due to rapidly changing economic conditions and the profound impact on marketing and advertising budgets globally, we made the very difficult decision to close Lion Forge Labs, our B2B creative services agency," read a statement from a Polarity representative.
    https://www.newsarama.com/49688-lion-forge-labs-closed-with-all-employees-laid-off.html

Last edited April 2, 2020 5:36:50 pm

• Posted: April 3, 2020 10:43:51 am
  • atom said:
    May I humbly suggest this as a good idea for others right now? Check out a series you might have passed up because there was no room in your new comic budget.

Atom, that's great advice. Also a good way to help continue supporting local comic book shops during this time.

Canuck said:
    LION FORGE LABS Closed, All Employees Laid Off

I had never heard of Lion Forge Labs. I guess they were a branch of Lion Forge Comics that focused on gaming and animation. Looks like the comics side hasn't been affected though, which is a good thing.

Last edited April 3, 2020 10:47:04 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 3, 2020 11:15:54 am
  • Well it does say "it has closed its animation/comics development subsidiary Lion Forge Labs"

• Posted: April 7, 2020 4:28:59 pm
  • I'm so confused by what this means. If Diamond isn't distributing, how are the titles they aren't pausing getting anywhere?
  • Posted: April 7, 2020 4:35:35 pm
  • Marvel is just telling creators to finish up the book they are on and they will get paid up to that issue, when things return to normal and shipping of the finished books start up again they will just tell creators to start up where they left off. This way they don't have to shell out any more $$ until shipping starts up again.
    As for the not paused books, I guess they're trying to figure out a way to get them into stores ASAP.

Last edited April 7, 2020 4:40:24 pm

• Posted: April 10, 2020 12:59:29 pm
  • As Some Push for New Comics Digitally, DARK HORSE Maintains Devotion to Print Comics & Stores

Dark Horse Comics is sticking to their guns and have re-stated their commitment to not release any new comics digitally that can't also be purchased in comic book stores.

Thursday, Image Comics' co-owner/President Todd McFarlane argued that the major publishers including Image, DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse should coordinate efforts and also suggested they offer 10 new, popular top titles with the most demand for free as digital downloads.

Earlier this week, Newsarama asked the major publishers for statements directly adressed to their readers on their current position in regards to digital publishing. Subsequently, given McFarlane’s call for a coordinated effort, we asked the publishers to respond to the Image co-owner’s position.

Here's is Dark Horse's Friday response, in full:

There’s no question that it’s a challenging time for everyone - and it is certainly no one's intention to “punish” readers. However, it’s important to remember that our printer is currently not printing any new comics for us, nor is Diamond, the industry's only distributor of comics, sending any new comics to retailers. Also, take into consideration a number of comics shops have temporarily closed their doors and are currently not conducting any business for the time being.

During this time we’ve made a commitment to comics retailers to not release any comics digitally that are not also available in print. We’re in a holding pattern until this pandemic passes, our printer and distribution system is up and running, and stay at home orders loosen. In order to make sure our readers and everyone else who is having to stay at home have reading material, we have released over 80 #1s available digitally for free as well as an extended digital sale with 50% off nearly all our titles digitally and an extra 50% off kids titles when readers use the code comics4kids. We’ve extended this sale through the end of April. There is no shortage of reading material for fans of every and any reading method.

Dark Horse normally releases digital comics day-and-date concurrent with print comics on several platforms including comiXology, Kindle, and their own Dark Horse Digital.

The publisher's founder/co-owner Mike Richardson has strong ties to the comic book store community, as he is also the founder and owner of the Northwest United States comic book retail chain Things From Another World.

https://www.newsarama.com/49785-as-some-push-for-new-comics-digitally-dark-horse-maintains.html

• Posted: April 17, 2020 5:22:50 pm
  • DC Announces April 28 Print Comics Line-Up, May Release Schedule

DC has announced its plans to return to comic book stores beginning April 28 following Diamond's shutdown due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

DC has announced new comic books are returning to stores that are still open in some capacity beginning April 28. This comes after Diamond Comic Distributors shut down in March due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, effectively hobbling the industry.

"After surveying more than 2,000 stores across the U.S. and Canada, it became clear that many comic book store owners are finding new and creative ways to get books to the fans who want them," DC wrote on its website. The company also encourages readers to visit its comic shop tracker to find participation retailers.

In addition to this announcement, DC revealed its new release slate through May 12.

Tuesday, April 28:
    Batman #89 (3rd Printing)
    Featuring the first appearance of Punchline!
    Daphne Byrne #4
    Daphne gains a new ally as she continues to wrestle with the malevolent forces within her!
    The Dreaming #20
    The unbelievable finale to Si Spurrier and Bilquis Evely’s epic tale from the Sandman Universe!
    Nightwing #70 (2nd Printing)
    The Clown Prince of Crime comes to Ric Grayson and Bludhaven in this prelude to The Joker War!
    Batman GIANT #4
    Classic stories from the world of The Dark Knight, plus an all-new chapter of the original story “Concrete Jungle,” by Mark Russell (Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles) and Ryan Benjamin!

More releases - https://www.cbr.com/dc-april-28-comics-may-release-schedule/

• Posted: April 17, 2020 5:31:43 pm
  • Diamond Reveals Plan to Reopen Comics Industry in May

Geppi Family Enterprises has revealed its plans for Diamond Comic Distributors to resume shipments in mid-to-late-May following the shutdown stemming from coronavirus (COVID-19).

Although we are not yet on the other side, we are tracking COVID-19 developments daily and starting to see signs of the spread slowing in certain areas. Like you, we are thinking about and planning for when and how we will restart the shipping of new weekly product. We have been closely watching the news, listening to our retailer and publisher partners and considering the many points of view as we decide, as an industry, how to proceed.

With health and safety of employees, retailers and customers a top priority, we need to be very deliberate about how we restart and scale operations. We must find that delicate balance between managing health and safety concerns, meeting the pent-up demand for product and working with retailers whose situations differ, and whose need for product may have changed.

While there are many steps and conversations that need to happen between today and resuming distribution of new weekly product, we are currently targeting mid- to late-May with the hope that, as an industry, we can all work toward that timeframe. Of course, as we have all seen, target dates sometimes need to be adjusted in this ever-changing new-normal. But we cannot wait for firm dates. We have started the planning process and are having these important conversations with publishers and retailers so that once we have more clarity, we are in a position to restart and scale operations over time.

Our intent is to restart the weekly FOC process once we have worked with publishers on a new schedule for product releases. Product that was originally scheduled for release on April 1st and 8th will be distributed over a longer period, allowing publishers to work with printers to deliver new product without further interruption. Retailers will be able to adjust order quantities for those products, making sure that they are receiving quantities that make sense for the current situation in their stores.

While we look forward to the resumption of weekly new product, we know that many retailers continue to take advantage of restocks of backlist product via Diamond’s Retailer Services Website. We encourage retailers to ensure their Comic Shop Locator Service listings are up-to-date with services offered, such as delivery or curbside service, and that store hours are accurate. This will help direct customers to stores that can continue to meet their needs through this time.

Please also continue to consult our Coronavirus Resources page for an ongoing list of resources available to retailers. Additionally, retailerservices.diamondcomics.com/coronavirus is a single source for other Coronavirus-related information from Diamond and our publishers.

Thank you for your understanding and support as we all plan for our future. We are committed to communicating with you during this process and look forward to our continued partnership.

https://www.cbr.com/diamond-reopening-comics-industry-may-covid-19/

23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1btc/gammabase
  • DC Comics's Harley Quinn Issue # 38
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1f
  • GP Putnams Sons's Monkey King and the World of Myths Hard Cover # 1