feature requests

DC Comics Launching Black Series Line (Comic Book Forums)

• DC Comics Launching Black Series Line

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 8, 2018 2:14:10 pm
  • DC comics launching an "edgy" version of their most popular stories. Bringing All star teams together for the first wave. The stories will exist outside of DCu Continuity, delivering a bit of freedom for the creative teams.

Official release:https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/03/08/dc-launches-new-publishing-imprint-dc-black-label?adid=dchero1_Announcing-DC-Black-Label

Personally, this excites the hell out of me. These teams are top notch. I cannot wait to see what they produce given a bit more freedom. Anyone who knows me will tell you Snyder & Capullo are the main reason I got attached to comics. Snyder's notoriously dark stories mixed with Capullo's ability to draw gruesome wounds has me so freaking pumped.

Getting Miller & Romita together for the Superman story I think is another great team.

I'm going to be picking up all of the launch tittles & see where it goes. What do you guys think?
  • Posted: March 8, 2018 2:41:58 pm
  • Superman: Year One … how original. I bet it took Frank some creative thinking to come up with that one. I heard the news a few months ago and honestly wish DC would stop giving him work. He hasn’t done anything relevant since the 90s and his writing has taken a back seat and is sloppy and lazy. I get the feeling that ever since he got involved in the film industry he just hasn’t cared about comics anymore. Sort of the same thing that’s happen to Neil Gaiman, another DC legend.

Now that Snyder/Capullo Batman project is something to get excited about.

Last edited March 8, 2018 2:43:03 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 8, 2018 6:16:36 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:

Amen, Brother!

I totally see where you're coming from on the Miller front. I wish I was in it for his prime. What do you think of Romita's art?
  • Posted: March 9, 2018 10:06:29 am
  • SwiftShock said:
    Rapha1978 said:
    I totally see where you're coming from on the Miller front. I wish I was in it for his prime. What do you think of Romita's art?

His father, John Romita, was amazing. But then Romita Sr. learned by inking Jack Kirby's covers. His son, John Romita Jr. learned from dad. In his early days his work was better. Seems to be getting worse with every project he takes on. He handles some characters better than others. I remember the Daredevil mini series (Daredevil: Man Without Fear) with Frank Miller where his work actually shined, and Miller actually wrote a good story in that one. And I actually enjoyed his art in the 90’s with The Punisher: War Zone. His Spider-Man stuff was hit or miss on some issues. I never thought Romita Jr. was a great Spidey artist but he rode on his father’s coat tails and name. Did you ever see his recent Suicide Squad issues from last year? It would make you cringe. Personally I don’t think he’d make a good Superman artist, especially compared with all the talent that came on board since Rebirth, but I could be proven wrong.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 9, 2018 11:12:54 am
  • You taught me ALOT in that last post, Ralpha. Thank you!

The only exposure I have to JRJ was his 2013 stint with Captain America. I own All-star Batman, but haven't gotten around to consuming it. I can say that his Captain America felt...lazy.

I'm still optimistic about all the first lines. Hoping for the best. Very Happy
  • Posted: May 15, 2018 12:11:41 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Did you ever see his recent Suicide Squad issues from last year? It would make you cringe.

My daughter is a HUGE Suicide Squad fan and she dropped it from her pull after Romita came on. It takes a lot for her to drop Suicide Squad. I agree with her. . .JRJ's art on that book was worse than bad.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 15, 2018 12:15:33 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Superman: Year One … how original. I bet it took Frank some creative thinking to come up with that one. I heard the news a few months ago and honestly wish DC would stop giving him work. He hasn’t done anything relevant since the 90s and his writing has taken a back seat and is sloppy and lazy. I get the feeling that ever since he got involved in the film industry he just hasn’t cared about comics anymore. Sort of the same thing that’s happen to Neil Gaiman, another DC legend.

I agree completely with you. And it's not just his writing. . .did you see the God-Awful backups he drew for DKIII The Master Race? (Read my daughter's copies. I don't pay money to encourage Miller any more) Some people just don't know when it's time to retire. Frank Miller USED to be a name that would draw me into buying a comic. Now his name on a project is a red flag to stay away.

Last edited May 15, 2018 12:28:12 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 15, 2018 12:22:46 am
  • SwiftShock said:
    DC comics launching an "edgy" version of their most popular stories. Bringing All star teams together for the first wave. The stories will exist outside of DCu Continuity, delivering a bit of freedom for the creative teams.

Official release:https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/03/08/dc-launches-new-publishing-imprint-dc-black-label?adid=dchero1_Announcing-DC-Black-Label

Personally, this excites the hell out of me. These teams are top notch. I cannot wait to see what they produce given a bit more freedom. Anyone who knows me will tell you Snyder & Capullo are the main reason I got attached to comics. Snyder's notoriously dark stories mixed with Capullo's ability to draw gruesome wounds has me so freaking pumped.

Getting Miller & Romita together for the Superman story I think is another great team.

I'm going to be picking up all of the launch tittles & see where it goes. What do you guys think?

Definitely skipping Miller angrily muttering his way through another superhero deconstruction story.

BUT. . .

The Snyder/Capullo joint looks interesting in an Elseworld's sorta way. They did a great job on New 52 Batman, so I'll definitely give that one a look. I'm ALWAYS down for an Azzarello/ Bermejo project, so DC is guaranteed to get a few bucks from me on that. I'll probably also check out Rucka's Wonder Woman thing. I think Rucka has earned enough of a spot on my "Good Writer" list to deserve at least a first issue buy.

Last edited May 15, 2018 12:26:18 am
  • Posted: May 23, 2018 4:16:56 pm
  • It shall be a nice breath of fresh air - or at least I hope.
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 12:43:11 pm
  • As much as I like a good yarn as the next guy, DON'T FALL FOR THE HYPE. Most of these "new" launches are not as good as promised. Been there, done that for the past 30 years.
  • Posted: May 24, 2018 1:00:02 pm
  • My thinking is...can these really be worse than most of the stuff they are pushing out now? I don't think so, but I also know they can be total stinkers as well.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 24, 2018 1:01:39 pm
  • We're just super jaded old men, having seen every trick in Marvel and DC's bag!!!
  • Posted: July 23, 2018 10:21:31 pm
  • From this line, I've enjoyed Sideways. Hit and miss, but the most recent issue, https://comicbookrealm.com/series/51320/440098/dc-comics-sideways-issue-6 was a bit heavier then I expected. Very entertaining. Hopefully they hook me full time soon.

Also, they are kind of doubling down on The Silencer. Out of SDCC '18 I read recently that she will be joining the Arrow-verse soon.
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 47 years, 364 days, 8 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's 12 Beast Soft Cover # 5
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2085
  • IDW Publishing's Dread Gods Issue # 4
  • Valiant Entertainment's Ninja-K Issue # 12