feature requests

DC ANNOUNCES FULL "REBIRTH" LINE (Comic Book Forums)

• DC ANNOUNCES FULL "REBIRTH" LINE

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 18, 2016 9:48:54 pm
  • "Rebirth" stands revealed. DC Comics has pulled the curtain back, revealing the shape and scope of their line of superhero comics after the status-quo redefining "Rebirth" launches in May. Following the release of the $2.99, 80-page "DC Universe: Rebirth" #1 on May 25, DC Comics will begin to roll out "Rebirth" specials" and new #1 issues for their ongoing series. Although as CBR exclusively revealed, two series -- "Detective Comics" and "Action Comics" -- will return to their original numbering.

The line will include two types of books: those published twice monthly and those published on a monthly basis. Every DC Universe book, regardless of their publication schedule, will be priced at $2.99. The line will consist of 32 total ongoings, 17 twice-monthly and 15 monthly titles. DC will also publish 23 "Rebirth" one-shots ahead of launching the new ongoings.

Read more - http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-announces-full-rebirth-line-twice-monthly-books-lowered-price-point
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 1, 2016 9:39:46 am
  • I'm excited to hear Detective and Action Comics will return to their original numbering. I'm also really hoping DC will return to the Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent that we knew before New52. If they pick up where they left off then I'll be joining them for the ride.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 27, 2016 12:54:06 am
  • Live from Wondercon...

After much teasing and one big announcement, DC Comics is again pulling back the curtain on their Rebirth event, which promises to renumber and reset the DC Universe around the theme of "legacy."

"Sometimes you loose your way a little bit," co-publisher Dan DiDio told a packed room of early risers at WonderCon this morning. "Sometimes you get a little lost."

He was talking about the New 52, casually admitting that the company's infamous 2011 reboot wasn't a solid foundation for the modern DC Universe
    . For the next hour and a half, DiDio, co-publisher Jim Lee, and chief creative officer Geoff Johns introduced name after name of the writers and artists who will be crafting a new start for the DC Universe, beginning in June.
    DC announced nearly a full slate of new books (with a price drop on some titles and a partial switch to bi-monthly publication) more than a month ago, but with no information on who would be writing or drawing them, or even an indication of what some of them would be about. "Legacy" is the theme of Rebirth, according to Johns, and that theme was borne out as book after book was described. And speaking of book after book: the total comes to 17 twice-monthly series and 14 monthly series, each at the price of $2.99. While that's only 31 titles, it's still 48 books a month.

What happens in those books? Batwoman returns to her seminal series to co-star in Detective Comics alongside Batman, as they make a "Gotham bootcamp" the city's young and untested vigilantes. There are two rookie Green Lanterns of Earth, Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz, and they're going to have to learn to conquer their fear. Batgirl is leaving Gotham, as penned by YA cartoonist and illustrator Hope Larson; and so is Batman, in a new series from legendary bat-writer Scott Snyder.

Eisner Award-winning writer/illustrator Gene Luen Yang is in charge of New Super-Man, about a kid from Shanghai who gets infused with Superman's powers and his "heart." Greg Rucka returns to Wonder Woman, in part to pen a "Wonder Woman: Year One."

Here's the lineup, as revealed in the live-streamed panel. You can catch the panel yourself at the bottom of the post.

June:
    New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

AQUAMAN #1, W Dan Abnett and Brad Walker, A Brad Walker, Jesus Merino, Phil Briones
    BATMAN #1, W Tom King, A David Finch and Mikel Janin
    THE FLASH #1, W Joshua Williamson, A Carmine Di Giandomenico and Neil Googe
    GREEN ARROW #1, W Ben Percy, A Otto Schmidt and Juan Ferreyra
    GREEN LANTERNS #1, W Sam Humphries, A Robson Rocha and Ardian Syaf
    SUPERMAN #1, W Superman: Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason, A Patrick Gleason and Doug Mahnke
    WONDER WOMAN #1, W Greg Rucka, A Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott
    New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

ACTION COMICS #957, W Dan Jurgens, A Patrick Zircher, Tyler Kirkham, Stephen Segovia
    DETECTIVE COMICS #934 Detective Comics: W James Tynion, A Eddy Barrows and Alvaro Martinez
    July

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1, W Robert Venditti, A Ethan Van Sciver and Rafa Sandoval
    JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, W Bryan Hitch, A Tony Daniel and Fernando Pasarin
    NIGHTWING #1 Nightwing: W Tim Seeley, A Javi Fernandez and Marcus To
    New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

BATGIRL #1, Batgirl: W Hope Larson, A Rafael Albuquerque
    BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1, W Julie and Shawna Benson, A Claire Roe
    THE HELLBLAZER #1, Simon Oliver, A Moritat
    RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1, Scott Lobdell, A Dexter Soy
    THE SUPER-MAN #1, W Gene Yang, A Viktor Bogdanovic
    TITANS #1, W Dan Abnett, A Brett Booth
    August

CYBORG #1, W John Semper, A Will Conrad and Paul Pelletier
    DEATHSTROKE #1, W Christopher Priest, A Carlo Pagulayan, Igor Vitorino, Felipe Watanabe
    HARLEY QUINN #1, W Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, A Chad Hardin and John Timms
    JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1 (The creative team for this book remains under wraps.)
    SUICIDE SQUAD #1, W Rob Williams, A Jim Lee and Philip Tan

BLUE BEETLE #1, W Kieth Giffen, A Scott Kolins
    EARTH 2 #1 (The creative team for this book remains under wraps.)
    GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1 (The creative team for this book remains under wraps.)
    SUPERGIRL #1, Supergirl: W Steve Orlando, A Brian Ching
    SUPERWOMAN #1, Superwoman: W Phil Jimenez, A Phil Jimenez and Emanuela Lupacchino
    TRINITY #1, Trinity: W Francis Manapul, A Francis Manapul and Clay Mann
    September

BATMAN BEYOND #1, W Dan Jurgens, A Bernard Chang
    SUPER SONS #1 (The creative team for this book remains under wraps, but DC did reveal that it would be about "son of Superman meets son of Batman.")
    TEEN TITANS #1, W Ben Percy, A Jonboy Meyers

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/here-are-the-artists-wholl-be-crafting-the-dc-universes-upcoming-reboot/ar-BBqYh95?li=AAggNb9&ocid=U142DHP

Last edited March 27, 2016 12:58:57 am

• Posted: March 27, 2016 9:12:27 am
  • I'm mostly excited about where Dan Abnett takes the Titans. I think he and Andy Lanning did an amazing job on Guardians of the Galaxy and his work on Titans Hunt has been great! Trying to merge the recent character changes after all the reboots with the original history of the Teen Titans can't have been easy, but I think he came up with a great way to do it. It made me like the Titans all over again.

I wonder if his work helped start the idea of this new Rebirth line or if reinventing the Titans was always part of the plan?
  • Posted: March 29, 2016 12:37:55 pm
  • Well I got to read a few articles online and apparently it really does seem like just another reboot even though D.C. doesn't want to word it that way. One review said, "Not a reboot like the previous New 52 initiative, but a relaunch of over 50 titles that will not throw away recent history but hopes to "right the ship" in terms of editorial direction."

Ugh, I was really hoping they'd go back to before New52 happened. I saw a few leaked covers and it's basically the same characters with New52 costumes. Just different creative teams taking over. I guess I won't be tagging along for the ride.

Last edited March 29, 2016 12:39:14 pm
  • Posted: March 29, 2016 3:28:20 pm
  • I know what you mean, Rapha1978. After seeing the live announcement, it didn't seem to be quite the Rebirth I was hoping for. But then bringing Hal Jordan back from the mostly-dead, making the Green Lanterns into a pretty cool Space Police Force and then having the awesome Black Lanterns kill a lot of them is a pretty hard act to follow. Wink

They're trying to bring the rookies up the ranks (e.g. two new-ish Green Lanterns - okay, a Green Lantern and a Power Ring - in the JLA) and working on the legacy concept. That's a pretty good idea. A few fresh faces, rather than having all the same guys doing all the same things all over again (but in a different costume).

Although, I'm a little concerned about them cutting down the titles and doubling the output. I hope they have enough good stories to tell.

I guess acknowledging Flashpoint and the New 52 is better than a full reboot. I hope they do what Abnett seems to be doing in Titans Hunt and acknowledge the history before that as well. Try and stay true to a character's full history (within reason, because there's bound to be a lot of contradictions). But take the best, you know? Time will tell.
  • Posted: May 21, 2016 12:18:20 am
  • Warning! DC Universe: Rebirth #1 Spoilers Leak On Reddit. And You Won’t Believe DC Comics Has Gone There…
    (Spoilers are if you go to the link below)
    Posted May 20, 2016 by Rich Johnston

There are spoilers here for DC Universe: Rebirth #1, the last DC comic written by Geoff Johns for some time, the one that DC execs warned you that you shouldn’t let anyone spoil before you read it yourself. So it’s time to go off-line. And certainly read no further.

Because, yes, these spoilers are so extreme, with major newsworthy repercussions, we will be mentioning them below. When I first read them, frankly I didn’t believe they were true. But I have checked in with other sources who have confirmed them and given further details.

DC Comics released copies to certain news sites this week who were embargoed not to run information. But they have leaked out. But because Bleeding Cool was not one of those chosen sites, we are not embargoed from running the information below. And then those other sites will be allowed to run these details… because Bleeding Cool has run them.

I’m told that’s how it works. So, you know, get off the internet. Okay, here we go.

If you want to know more go here but spoilers are ahead - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

Last edited May 21, 2016 12:21:04 am

• Posted: May 23, 2016 11:25:30 am
  • Those are some interesting spoilers Canuck. I was reading through the comments on that article and silently thought to myself, I knew this would happen. When New52 came out most of us older fans were pretty upset and we had to suck it up. DC has been gaining readers over the past 6 years (while losing their faithful ones) who never read any of the original titles before New52 and now guess what? They are upset. They aren't happy about Rebirth. Well this is what happens when you change and relaunch everything. It almost makes you wonder why you even invested. Marvel has been doing the same thing btw.
  • Posted: May 24, 2016 2:22:41 pm
  • GEOFF JOHNS OFFERS TO BUY BACK "DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH" #1 IF FANS AREN'T SATISFIED

The DC Universe is on the verge of a major shakeup. When Geoff Johns, Gary Frank, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis and Phil Jimenez's "DC Universe: Rebirth" #1 hits stands, DC Comics' entire lineup will feel the aftershocks of this game-changing issue -- and DC Entertainment CCO Geoff Johns promises fans will love it, money back guaranteed.

"If anyone wants to check out comics, wants to check out 'DC Universe: Rebirth' #1 and doesn't like it, they can mail it to Warner Bros., to me, and I will send them a check, I literally will, for both postage and for the book," Johns told ComicBook.com. "I will buy all these books back because I believe in this issue a lot. I think it'll do very well. I hope it does well. But I seriously will, I'll buy back this book."

"The only reason I write these characters is because I love them," he added. "The only reason I want to spread the gospel of these characters is because I love when -- like, when 'Blackest Night' happened, suddenly a lot of people were like, 'I like Mera!' I was like, 'Me too, that's why I put her in there!' And New 52 launched and people were like, 'wow, I like Aquaman AND Mera!'"

"DC Universe: Rebirth" #1 goes on sale tomorrow, May 25.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Band of Bards's Coins Of Judas: Same Old Song And Dance Issue # 1
  • Titan Comics's Life Is Strange: Forget-Me-Not Issue # 2c
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures - April Special Issue # 1
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 9c