feature requests

COMIC BOOK RETAILERS SOUND OFF ON DC & MARVEL AS SALES DROP (Comic Book Forums)

• COMIC BOOK RETAILERS SOUND OFF ON DC & MARVEL AS SALES DROP

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 21, 2016 3:52:52 pm
  • The sky is falling?!

Well, obviously it's not, but if you have been a long time comic book reader, or even a reader of the past ten years or so, you have to admit comics in general from the Big Two were better a decade ago.

Regarding DC, all I can say (at least from my point of view), is that they have editorial issues, which may possibly stem from the move to the West Coast.

Regarding Marvel, the current regime in charge seems to care less what the fans think or want, and instead simply wants to shove their initiatives down the fans' throats -- "take it or leave it."

And both the Big Two do share a common problem, which is: either some sort of interference by their big brother studio or trying too hard to emulate what the movies do in a failed attempt to think the movie audience crosses over with the comic audience (it doesn't and never has, at least not to a significant extent).

That said, I can probably rant on all night about the topic, but recently two retailers have sounded off.

Read more here - http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/comic-book-retailers-sound-dc-marvel-sales-drop

"Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: January 21, 2016 4:34:53 pm
  • Thanks, Canuck. That's a worthwhile read with some excellent points about the current market.
  • Posted: January 22, 2016 5:28:26 pm
  • Doesn't surprise most of us. I haven't touched a Marvel book since early last year, and I keep seeing Marvel decline. I think the industry is tired of reboots, tired of mediocre stories/art, tired of the inconsistency, and tired of the gimmicks they keep pushing to sell it to us.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 28, 2016 3:27:05 am
  • Hey Canuck, thanks for that post! It was really very interesting AND thought provoking . . .

I've cut back considerably on my purchase of new stuff (although to be honest, the U$D/ZAR exchange is partly to blame as well). I miss getting excited about a comic and the most interesting thing of all is that the only company that currently puts out books like that are Image. I'm glad for them but I WANT to feel like that about Superman and all the other characters that I grew up with and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Instead, I've been forced to work backwards and trying to find any older comics and rather collecting comics from previous eras . . .
  • Posted: January 28, 2016 8:25:50 am
  • I hear you about the US$ exchange rate, picked up 5 Marvel books the other day and it set me back $30...so I promptly axed a few. I think by the end of the year I won't be getting anything new. I may buy some back issues of the older stuff but even then only on the cheap, I'm just not enjoying the hobby as much anymore. The variants have been a huge turn off for me, every week I just shake my head when adding all the variants to the site.

• Posted: March 28, 2016 5:09:53 pm
  • GenesisDay07 said:
    "Instead, I've been forced to work backwards and trying to find any older comics and rather collecting comics from previous eras . . ."

This is exactly what I've been doing, because of the lack of ingenuity and creativity in the new stories so far. Aside from the Court of Owls, I have not liked any new Batman story run. Think
  • Posted: May 24, 2016 8:37:46 am
  • Interestingly enough, I've been picking up some World's Finest Comics here and there and I've been trying to find where things "shifted" . . . If I look at some of the covers from #200 - #300-ish . . . they have these weird and interesting stories and there is something dynamic about the covers that just seem to grab your attention.

Somewhere in the 300's, it just loses that . . . "something" . . . which is apparent in so many comics today. The worst is that I just can't put my finger on it!
  • Posted: June 14, 2016 5:44:44 pm
  • Canuck, will you adopt me so you can be my dad?
  • Posted: June 14, 2016 6:22:33 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Canuck, will you adopt me so you can be my dad?

Why? I may be a ruthless old ogre as far as you know Whistle

14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 7
  • Mad Cave Studios's Love Me: A Romance Story Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 255facsimile
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 9