feature requests

Neal Adams left extensive portfolio in a cab (Comic Book Forums)

• Neal Adams left extensive portfolio in a cab

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 27, 2013 10:56:24 am
  • Batman comic artist left extensive portfolio in a cab

A legendary comic-book artist is on the hunt for more than a hundred valuable sketches he left in a yellow cab — and he has put his talents to work in the search by drawing a portrait of the driver.

Neal Adams, best known for drawing Batman and Green Arrow, forgot to take two portfolio books out of the trunk of a Crown Victoria taxi at about 7:40 p.m. Sept. 4.

The books were in a beige tote bag bearing an image of Bucky O’Hare, a cartoon and comic-book rabbit.

Adams’ daughter, Kristine Stone, said the sketches in the books are worth tens of thousands of dollars. Each book had about 30 pages. About 100 to 120 sketches were lost.

“We need everyone’s help, and, hopefully, the artwork will be found,” Stone said.

Adams’ family, which runs his studio, contacted the Taxi and Limousine Commission.

“The lack of certain details presents a challenge,” said TLC spokesman Allan Fromberg, a longtime fan of Adams. “But we’re going to do everything in our power to reunite Mr. Adams with his portfolios.”

The family handed out fliers to cabbies on Park Avenue with the sketch of the driver and scans of about 40 images. They urged them to check their trunks.

The driver is described in the flier as a “gentleman in his 50s, very courteous and shy.”

He also appeared new to the job, forgetting to turn on the meter for part of the trip, and didn’t know his way around the city well.

Adams’ family said they also contacted a lieutenant in the Midtown South precinct who is a comic-book fan and friend. The lieutenant helped them file a lost-property report.

“He loves Neal. He is always the man to call,” Stone said of the cop.

Another detective in the precinct took over investigating the report.

The family initially hoped they could quietly track the books down but decided Thursday to seek the public’s help.

They also plan to scour Craigslist and eBay for the books and seek the help of art dealers and those attending conventions.

Anyone who has the portfolio books or a tip to their whereabouts is asked to call (212) 869-4170.

Adams is widely credited with refining the look of modern comics, pioneering a photorealistic style that dominates the medium today.

He was key in the creation of characters including Ra’s al Ghul, who was played by Liam Neeson in the latest “Dark Knight” trilogy. He was also a driving force behind the modern Green Arrow, the hero at the heart of the CW TV show “Arrow.”

The driver had picked him up in Midtown on 39th Street and Sixth Avenue and took him to 27th Street near Seventh Avenue.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/26/renowned-comic-book-artist-searching-for-portfolio-left-in-cab/

That would be messed up if no one returns his property. It's not like they can sell it on the open market.
  • Posted: September 27, 2013 4:15:10 pm
  • I doubt he will see them again until they show up in auction or something years later...
    I'm not saying....I'm just saying...
  • Posted: September 27, 2013 4:23:08 pm
  • Chances are, it's not the cabbie that has them, but one of the fares he picked up afterwards...
  • Posted: September 27, 2013 4:58:25 pm
  • I hope Neal gets his sketches returned to him soon, let's all hope there are still some good people out there that will do the right thing. I am a Huge Batman fan but if I found them I would certainly get them back to him. Probably after posing with them for some photos LOL, but he would get them ALL back.
    John Owens
    "I'm looking to complete my collection of The Maxx from Image comics ( 1993-1998 )."
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2377
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26
  • Image Comics's Kill Your Darlings Issue # 8b
  • Ablaze Media's The Prism Issue # 7c