feature requests

Image says they won't be doing 2nd printings going forward (Comic Book Forums)

• Image says they won't be doing 2nd printings going forward

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 13, 2012 2:35:10 pm
  • Yeah I know, but what they don't tell you won't hurt you...so to speak. Wink

Last edited December 13, 2012 2:35:31 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 13, 2012 5:03:34 pm
  • Image came out and said they are going to reprint #7 & #8...but the reprints "will" cease after that.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 13, 2012 6:26:34 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Image came out and said they are going to reprint #7 & #8...but the reprints "will" cease after that.

Something seems to be missing in the discussion because it doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't second prints be based on retail orders same as the initial print? Where's the problem in that? I would even argue that they anticipate additional printings in some cases which is clearly evident by the interlocking covers of Walking Dead. Heck, one of the interlocking covers is a third print.

Could it be that retailers may be reducing orders for future releases because thay still have quite a few of the additional printings on the shelf? Possibly, over-ordering the additional prints in hopes that new readers that catch on at issue #6 will go back and get #1-5?

I agree some of it may be a little ridiculous. Such as the 5th printing, and counting, of Thief of Thieves #1. At some point they need to say enough I suppose. If they go forward with this, it will help the re-sellers. At least they are limiting it to "known over-performers."
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: December 13, 2012 6:45:26 pm
  • Well I think what happens is that stores order say 10,000 first prints. Image prints say 11,000 and gives them all to Diamond. Some stores under order and sell out so they go back to Diamond. Eventually Diamond sells out (even though a lot of the stores have copies on the shelf) and they start tracking how many stores would have ordered had they been in stock. Diamond tells image they are sold out and have interest in say 2,000 extra 1st prints. Image decides to do a reprint and solicits orders for the reprint and the cycle continues.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: December 13, 2012 9:40:24 pm
  • I like this, I think they would be fine. I mean with the Image "Firsts" is there really a need for a 2nd printing? And at the cost of the "Firsts" why not just wait for it if you miss out on the 1st printing anyways? To me 2nd printings and on arnt going to have the same demands on the market to begin with.
  • Posted: December 14, 2012 8:51:52 am
  • Always nice to get insight from all angles.

• Posted: December 14, 2012 2:28:22 pm
  • dough boy said:
    Always nice to get insight from all angles.
    Yeah, especially Nick Spencer's comments. Didn't realize the creator took the most risk.
  • Posted: March 13, 2013 12:35:44 am
  • Well 3 months later and this has been proved untrue. They are pushing out 2nd, 3rd and even 4th printings in some cases like they were hotcakes.
  • Posted: March 13, 2013 7:20:22 am
  • They essentially retracted their statement. It is silly in general to say they wouldn't as it is "free" money. I mean they have to have some sort of table that says if we get reorders of X we can expect to sell Y and make Z.

23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 3d
  • Harris Comics's CyberFrog: Reservoir Frog Issue # 2b
  • DC Comics's Nightwing Issue # 92
  • Durendal Comics's Shanghai Issue # 1