feature requests

Image says they won't be doing 2nd printings going forward (Comic Book Forums)

• Image says they won't be doing 2nd printings going forward

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 12, 2012 11:47:19 am
  • I can see their point, and it's only for series that are consistently selling out. I mean, if you sold out of Saga #1-7 .... come on, increase your orders already Smile

If Image really wanted to push up orders thinking they're going to sell, I'm sure LCSs would say "How about allowing us to return them?" to which Image of course would say " no, we're not that confident!" Smile
  • Posted: December 12, 2012 12:47:39 pm
  • I think there are 2 problems here.

1. Image is a speculators market. I know people who go into a store and will buy all of the copies of the book on the shelf, and then flip on feeBay when they announce it sold out. The store ordered as many as they would normally sell, it is just one person cleaned them out. So they go back to Diamond to get more, but they are sold out. This happens at enough stores to where Diamond tells Image there is more demand, we need more books. But most of the stores still has copies.

2. Image is an "indie" publisher when compared to the "mainstream" and they are treated as such. My LCS has a large wraparound counter. 75% of it is taken up by all of the DC/Marvel stuff. 15% is taken up by the checkout area, and the other 10% is all of the other "indie" books. We all know that most DC/Marvel stuff will sell, so why not offer a bigger discount on some of the other stuff? If you think you will sell 5 Saga #1's without "pushing", why not order 25 and sell the first issue for say $2. You make a little money, but if you get enough interest in the book you will get more readers for future issues at regular price. Seems to me like a win-win. (plus you only need to sell 19 of the 25 at $2 to cover the costs on just that book and you get 6 extra copies to have for future sales)
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 12, 2012 7:32:15 pm
  • Publishers should only be printing what retailers order to sell. Maybe a little of an over print, but obviously a little over print isn't going to make up for under ordering.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: December 12, 2012 7:43:51 pm
  • Meh, cant blame the retailers for this one. They buy what they know they can sell. Period.
  • Posted: December 12, 2012 10:36:15 pm
  • just dont see this lasting long
    You build your collection one book at a time and day by day it seem to stay the same. Then one day KA BLAM it gotten out of control. Thanks mom I love you.

" I'm not insane, my mom had me tested." Sheldon BIG BANG THEORY
    " Holy on a CRACKER" Pennie BIG BANG THEORY

http://www.comixcon.com/
    http://www.kenmore-komics.com/
  • Posted: December 13, 2012 10:50:50 am
  • tt_cook1963 said:
    just dont see this lasting long
    Me neither, i thought reprinting issues was a safe way of doing business. Less profit per issue, but more issues sold? I'm not in the know so maybe that's not right. Maybe it was at a loss, but done in the hopes of keeping books available would spur new readership.
  • Posted: December 13, 2012 11:49:49 am
  • It's easy...instead of calling them 2nd print just keep printing them as they need and make them all 1st prints...that way the speculators will be weeded out and you'll find out what your true numbers will be.
    That or just do limited variant/incentive covers to boost up your initial orders like marvel and DC and saturate the market with a bunch of regular cover books that nobody wants and you can't sell in the dollar bin.

Last edited December 13, 2012 11:54:08 am
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 13, 2012 2:19:12 pm
  • Canuck said:
    It's easy...instead of calling them 2nd print just keep printing them as they need and make them all 1st prints...that way the speculators will be weeded out and you'll find out what your true numbers will be.
    That or just do limited variant/incentive covers to boost up your initial orders like marvel and DC and saturate the market with a bunch of regular cover books that nobody wants and you can't sell in the dollar bin.
    Everything printed has a fixed number. If they go back to the presses it legally is a 2nd printing, no way around that.
23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 65 years, 35 days, 22 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Buster Brown Shoes's Buster Brown Comics Issue # 6barnetts
  • Blackthorne Publishing's Comic-Strip Preserves: Steve Roper and Chief Wahoo Hard Cover # 1
  • Murray Comics's Kid Montana: Gunfighter Issue nn
  • Highwater Press's The Scout: Tommy Prince Issue # 1