feature requests

Marvel Comics withdrawing from newsstand market, says report (Comic Book Forums)

• Marvel Comics withdrawing from newsstand market, says report

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 20, 2012 9:49:19 pm
  • I thought this happened years ago... guess this makes it official.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/comics/news/a372209/marvel-comics-withdrawing-from-newsstand-market-says-report.html

© Marvel Comics
    Marvel Comics is withdrawing from the newsstand distribution market, according to a report.

Bleeding Cool understands that the publisher has "greatly reduced" its support for the sector, and has ceased supplying titles to some retailers through this channel entirely.

A number of retailers are in the process of converting their newsstand accounts into direct market accounts with Diamond Comic Distributors, with Marvel's assistance.

The newsstand sector of the comics industry is on a downward spiral, with publishers turning to digital as a cheaper alternative. Marvel itself described the digital sector as "the new newsstand".

Marvel adopted the day-and-date digital business model in November last year, seeing its new releases available in print and digital on the same day.

Kick- creator Mark Millar previously spoke out against the move towards digital, warning that it could be "disastrous" for brick and mortar retailers.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 20, 2012 10:15:54 pm
  • I agree. Digital is no comparison to holding the actual comic in your hands. IMO it is far more enjoyable that way. But I guess for some, digital works for them.
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: March 23, 2012 9:03:26 pm
  • there's a newstand market, I don't know where to go and buy a magazine anymore.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 65 years, 35 days, 22 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Joyful World Press's Penelope Issue # 1
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin Issue # 1 - 5th print-b
  • DC Comics's Wonder Woman Issue # 783b
  • Marvel Comics's X Lives of Wolverine Issue # 1e