feature requests

Bob Kane Detective 27 page proofs and other bob kane item up for auction (Comic Book Forums)

• Bob Kane Detective 27 page proofs and other bob kane item up for auction

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 3, 2011 9:13:37 am
  • http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?N=52+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294953656+4294966728&type=comicnews-tem020311
    Detective Comics #27 Page 2 Proof (1939). This and the following lots are black-and-white proofs that previously belonged to Bob Kane. They're from one of the most important comic book stories ever, the first-ever Batman story! Holding some of these pages next to the printed comic we were struck by the details of the art that are better visible here, and of course the quality is miles ahead of any reprint. Since as far as fandom at large knows, the original art to these pages no longer exists, these proofs are perhaps the closest you can get! The back of each is blank, and the paper is extremely brittle.

More Information:

This item comes from the collection of Mario J. Sacripante of New York. He tells the story as follows:

"The origin of my Bob Kane (originally Bob Kahn) collection dates back to 1975 when I had literally found it in the garbage in an old steamer trunk not more than twenty-five feet from my front door in Rego Park, Queens. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" as the saying goes, but at the time I was actually afraid to open the trunk, not knowing what I would find.

I knew what it was that I had found, as I had been around antiques and collectibles all my life and had a cousin in the flea market business at the time. Bob Kane had lived next door (way before I moved there), and I learned later that my friend's father actually knew Kane when he had lived in the building."
  • Posted: February 3, 2011 9:26:36 am
  • OOOHHHHHH!!!! Me want!
    Don of the D.E.DImage
  • Posted: February 3, 2011 11:46:57 am
  • Wow. Probably way too rich for my blood. But it would sure be a piece of history to own.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: February 3, 2011 3:44:19 pm
  • Thats really awesome! Do you know how much it would be worth?
  • Posted: February 4, 2011 9:15:37 am
  • The Detective 27 proofs will go very high, especially because they are documented owned by Bob Kane.

I "tested" the waters on the Det 27 proofs, bid up to $450 on each in turn (except the one already at $1100), and each was outbid - with 19 days to go!!

Good news is I am (for now) in the lead for the 15 early Batman color proofs. Pray
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Harley Quinn Issue # 38
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 175
  • Graphix's Whatever After TPB # 1