feature requests

where do you store your big comic collections (Comic Book Forums)

• where do you store your big comic collections

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 5:09:00 pm
  • Hi I have 18,000 comics. I have them stored in certain spots in the house. I have a split level house. This comes with a partial basement with a concrete floor.Usually basements the block go up the whole wall,split level the block only goes 40 inches high with a knee wall the rest of the way up. The humidity is not like a usually basement
    First the room is drywall taped and painted from floor to ceiling and it is climate controlled with heating and cooling. Also I built platforms 6 inches off the floor just in case of water and protect it from the humidity that comes from the concrete floor. This is where the bulk of the collection is stored . The rest are in interior closets. The expensive ones are in a lead lined room ,just in case of a nuke. Just kidding. Please give a reply as I am curious how you spread the weight . Even a 2x12 floor joist would be pushing the limits for the weight load
    Thank you
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 7:34:52 pm
  • thanks for your reply Abysslord I appreciate the different ideas
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 10:13:47 pm
  • I use modular metal shelving from Sam's Club. It usually runs about $90 per 6-shelf unit. Each shelf holds 5 short comic boxes perfectly (4 magazine). So each 6-shelf unit is good for 30 comic boxes - or roughly 3,750 comics.

I have the shelves fixed in position, but they come with optional rollers for the feet so you can move them around.

The room was a strange 2nd garage (about 400 square feet) our house had. I renovated it to have no windows - just a door, and put in a mini-split ac unit to manage the room's humidity and temp.

I have full shelves on all 4 walls, and a C-shaped set of half shelves creating a space in the center of the room. It's been a dream for organizing everything.

Here are the shelving units at Sam's...
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-commercial-industrial-shelving-6-ct/152201.ip?xid=plp
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 1:33:22 am
  • I live in Utah, where food storage is a way of life. The house I bought has 3 food storage rooms in the basement (I actually use one of them for food storage, but not in an apocalyptic way) that have inch thick wooden shelves double braced and made to support the weight of a ton of canned goods. They are the perfect depth for short boxes and go from floor to ceiling on 3 sides of the room. The house was built in 1947 and from the layers of paint on those shelves,I have the feeling that they've been there about that long. . .and they're sturdy enough they'll probably still be there after I'm gone.

Last edited January 13, 2017 1:37:26 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 7:11:29 am
  • thanks for the replies guys. af15 all I can say is WOW that looks Super clean and organized. Plus all the weight is on a slab.
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 10:03:58 am
  • I don't know how many I have but they are stored in a walking closet and part of an extra room in my apartment. I've moved around so much over the past 10 years that I am now in process of replacing all of the long boxes (probably 15 of them) with short boxes instead. Moving them up to a third floor was not easy, so hopefully this will alleviate that problem in my next move. I had them stored in a public storage for 2 years when I was between states. All were bagged and boarded and survived through all sorts of weather conditions just fine.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 10:14:03 am
  • 1977carp...
    Having the shelves on a slab really is good as it takes the weight so well, versus say being on a 2nd floor of a house with all that weight. And on the super clean note, I made it a goal to have everything boxed. I found some really nice over-sized boxes at Container Store (on the right side in the picture) for storing all of the stuff too big for comic or magazine boxes.

Rapha1978...
    I did the same thing about a decade or so ago moving all my books from long boxes to short. It causes more trips when moving them around, but they don't break your back as bad. Ha ha.
  • Posted: January 15, 2017 6:38:43 pm
  • Well, with the amount of books I had, 25,000, I found the best thing to do was buy heavy plastic shelving units from Lowes or Home Depot. The larger ones were about $20 I think (been 10 yrs since I bought any) and had 3 shelves and a top shelf. I would put 3 long boxes on each of the bottom 2 shelves and short boxes on the 3rd shelf and sometime on top. But usually had smaller boxes, toys, etc on top.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 1j
  • Tangram Publishing's Fang Issue # 1
  • Image Comics's Monstress Issue # 50c
  • Marvel Comics's Rise of the Powers of X Issue # 3h