feature requests

What do people do with the old bags and boards after rebagging a comic (Comic Book Forums)

• What do people do with the old bags and boards after rebagging a comic

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 11, 2017 3:34:04 pm
  • Hi new to this board. I use the (Ultra Pro) old bags and boards in the back of my magazine boxes with my Mylars and 1/4 styrofoam for the sides . This makes up from any movement with a snug ,but not to tight of a fit. The old bags and styrofoam will not effect the Mylars ,as I asked E gerber and Owens Corning this question. What else can they be use for?
    Thanks

Last edited January 11, 2017 3:36:03 pm
  • Posted: January 11, 2017 6:38:51 pm
  • I usually toss the old bags. Or if they are in really good shape, use them for more recent or less valuable comics. Since I am no longer really buying any issues, they are usually tossed since I have a big stock of new bags and boards.

I try to use only MyLites2 (eGerber) for Golden Age and Silver Age books and certain keys and hot books. And some very hefty MyLites4 for really valuable issues, like AF 15.

I use regular mylar, like Utra Pro, for most Bronze and up books.

Last edited January 11, 2017 6:39:50 pm
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: January 14, 2017 11:28:40 pm
  • I just compulsively save them. Maybe when I have like 5000 or something I'll list a huge lot of used bags and boards on ebay and see what happens.
    "...why not be vulgar at times when vulgarity is such a convenient cloak for our climate..."

- Arkady Ivanovitch Svidrigailov
  • Posted: January 23, 2017 12:57:08 am
  • QUESTION: Never really thought about it before now, but do bags and/or boards NEED to be changed (either periodically or ever)? As I dig through my boxes looking for Longbox Junk to read, review, and fill in info on, I'm coming across some pretty yellow boards (especially on the older comics without today's premium paper).

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: January 23, 2017 10:24:48 am
  • Hi Atom thanks for you reply. As the question you asked,yes they do. How long is based on where you store them and old they are. I have my books in different areas and they all turn the back board different shades of yellow when I used regular bags and boards (Ultrapro). Some areas the boards did not turn that yellow But the older comics will turn them faster and way more yellow due to the material used then.That is why I use Mylars and fullbacks for a good part of my collection ,once done never again. They do cost more,but if you have to change them every 7 years they will cost more money and way more time in the long run. This is based on my opinion and my collection,as I overdue everything. Also the size of your collection.
    Thanks
  • Posted: January 23, 2017 2:49:01 pm
  • Most back boards I think before mid-late 90s were not acid free and over time will yellow. But most of the ones being sold today do not have this problem. I rarely replace bags/boards. I think the worst thing I have ever seen age a comic book is cigarette smoke from someone's home. Some of my comics from the late 70s and early 80s I use to keep in a dresser drawer and lay them flat on top of one another in a perfect rectangle stash. Those comics stayed in better condition than some of the ones I bagged right away in the early 90s.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 30, 2017 6:04:26 pm
  • I use a lighter to melt them into hard plastic shanks. Then I threaten old people and demand that they give me their false teeth.

Wait. I apologize. I don't know what made me say that. I do not make weapons. I just throw them away. I know that sounds boring, but it's the truth.

• Posted: January 30, 2017 7:29:45 pm
  • i buy and sell alot on ebay...so i will cut up old boards and use them as backers for stationery type products...cards, stickers, posters etc. the bags i also recycle for the same purpose (unless the bag is simply hit). i also use the boards (after cutting them up) as dividers and such
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: January 31, 2017 6:26:13 pm
  • Old bags I throw away and old boards I recycle
  • Posted: February 7, 2017 10:14:10 pm
  • I toss the bags away and use the boards for additional protection when shipping comics I sell on eBay.
    CLASSIC SIGNED COMICS ON EBAY! http://bit.ly/vCaTGQ
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Whatnot Publishing's Assassins Creed: The Fall Issue # 1b
  • Pizz Publications's Christ on a Crutch Issue nn
  • First Second Books's What Happens Next? TPB # 2
  • Kodansha Comics's Yuri is My Job Soft Cover # 12