feature requests

Jonah Hex Vol 2. My first contribution to this site! (Comic Book Forums)

• Jonah Hex Vol 2. My first contribution to this site!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 14, 2016 5:25:33 am
  • So when I saw that I could export my comic collection to various formats, I was happy! Then when I saw I needed 7500 points to do it, I was sad. Then I decided I wasn't going to cheat my way to those points with money, I was going to EARN them by contributing to this awesome site!

I decided that I would earn my way by taking comics that I have full runs of and filling in all the contributors and characters, then reviewing every single issue. If anyone feels like taking a look, I just got done with Jonah Hex Vol. 2 tonight.

Why Hex when the books themselves are practically worthless, as far as collecting goes? Simple. . .I like Jonah Hex, so why not? Nobody else is going to bother reading 70 issues of what can realistically be considered longbox junk and reviewing them all, right?

I plan on hitting the 29 issues of Deathblow Vol 1 next.
    More junk? Yeah, as far as money value goes. But I like Deathblow.

What did I learn, reading 70 issues of Jonah Hex in a row? In my humble opinion, they shouldn't have kept Gray and Palmiotti on as writers for the whole run. They should have rotated writers and artists in the same way that they did on Batman Legends of The Dark Knight. G & P were pretty good, but the series overall tended to be average. The writing rarely elevated itself beyond being "Pretty Good". Also (in my humble opinion), Jonah Hex should have been a Vertigo title to allow an even harder edge, given that it was already unique in being pretty much the only western comic out there.

Discuss?
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 14, 2016 12:37:14 pm
  • Cool idea. Good luck with Deathblow.
  • Posted: December 14, 2016 2:06:39 pm
  • Awesome Job...wish more users would put this kind of an effort in Applause
    And you're only 2000 pts away.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 14, 2016 5:47:30 pm
  • Well... this seems like a good way to kill time. I may have to jump onboard and try it out.
  • Posted: December 14, 2016 9:39:44 pm
  • Please do, it's a great way to re-enjoy a comic or series that you have read or a great way to learn about a comic/series that you thought would be interesting but never got around to reading.
    As a mod I've researched comics for this site that I would never even think of reading and in a lot of cases I learn something new and interesting every time...but I still hate variants Brick wall

Last edited December 14, 2016 9:40:11 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 15, 2016 12:52:55 am
  • junobeach said:
    Cool idea. Good luck with Deathblow.

My wife suggested that instead of Deathblow, since I started with westerns and Zorro is one of my all-time favorites, why not go with the 20 issue 2008-2010 Dynamite Zorro run instead (She LOVES the covers) So Zorro it is!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 15, 2016 12:59:47 am
  • Canuck said:
    Please do, it's a great way to re-enjoy a comic or series that you have read. . .

Exactly! Jonah Hex vol 2 might be junk as far as collecting value, but I had a great time reading them all again, rather than letting them just sit in boxes wrapped in plastic and forgotten.
  • Posted: December 15, 2016 3:26:46 pm
  • I did this with the first 50 issues of G.I. Joe. Around issue 50 is when G.I. Joe Special Missions started and I didn't have those so I couldn't be sure about 1st appearances. The plan was to take a break until I acquired all of the special missions but I never got back to it.

I also have full run of Deathblow. I loved that comic when it came out and I really enjoyed the art. About 6 or 7 years ago I got issue 1 signed by Jim Lee. I might have to start back in on the G.I. Joes again though.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: December 15, 2016 4:10:54 pm
  • EXcellent idea, nice work. Very Happy
  • Posted: December 16, 2016 5:22:26 am
  • Okay. . .just finished reading, cataloging, and reviewing all 20 issues of the 2008-2010 Dynamite Zorro series tonight. (7,200 points! Dancing) It's a great run, but the last issue was disappointing because it resolved NOTHING. It ends on twin cliffhangers. I THINK I recall the story was continued in the "Zorro Rides Again" series Dynamite did a bit later, so I guess I'll do that run next. Should be easy enough with only 12 issues.

Besides a crappy ending, what else did I learn by reading and reviewing 20 issues of Zorro back to back?

My general impression overall is that Wagner and Francavilla are an extremely impressive team.

My second impression is that Dynamite was the right company to trust with the legacy of this great character. I also have the older Topps Zorro run and remember that it devolved quickly into "Bad Girl" cheesecake and over the top superhero comic-Style villains. The Dynamite version is grounded in a more realistic world and is the better for it.

My third impression is that even though this run was impressive in many ways, there was some disappointing waste in making Zorro part of a secret society that had existed for centuries devoted to seeking justice. . .and then it was never mentioned again. I feel that was a waste of a perfectly good addition to the Zorro mythos. Maybe if the series had run more than 20 issues they would have touched on that aspect a bit more.

All in all, I enjoyed this series and if anybody needs an introduction to the character of Zorro, I would highly suggest starting with this Dynamite run.

Last edited December 16, 2016 5:25:38 am
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 7
  • VD Press's Freak Toons Issue # 1
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 15
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 7