feature requests

Marvel Newsstand and Direct Percentage Print Runs (Comic Book Forums)

• Marvel Newsstand and Direct Percentage Print Runs

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 29, 2016 9:32:55 am
  • It's very close to how I imagined the numbers would be. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what today's percentages (2016) are? Newsstand has dwindled down in print run/sales and have become scarcer. Collectors should take this into account.

Not to get off topic but just last weekend I was at a Barnes & Noble and noticed that all of the current DC comics they were selling on their newsstand were priced at $3.99 and not the $2.99 that has been selling on the direct market.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 29, 2016 10:55:25 pm
  • Very interesting to see those percentages from 2000 until Marvel dropped out of the newsstand market completely.

As a Spidey completist, I started picking up all newsstand issues as they were released since the early 2000s and am so glad I did as finding them now is very hard. The more current a newsstand is, the more impossible it is to find. Heck, even getting them when they came out I still had to hit several bookstores to find issues sometimes, or to find them in nice condition.
  • Posted: November 30, 2016 7:19:26 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    It's very close to how I imagined the numbers would be. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what today's percentages (2016) are? Newsstand has dwindled down in print run/sales and have become scarcer. Collectors should take this into account.

Not to get off topic but just last weekend I was at a Barnes & Noble and noticed that all of the current DC comics they were selling on their newsstand were priced at $3.99 and not the $2.99 that has been selling on the direct market.

I didnt even notice that price difference at Barnes & Noble, very. interesting....... Ive been trying to buy the newsstands for the archie vol2 2015 series..... Print runs on Issues 13 and 14 are of Cheryl Blossom (excellent read) Im sure are very very low. Ive only found them at some grocery stores, and in small numbers (difficult to find 9.4 or better)...

Most series these days last what? 2 or 3 years maybe?. as the series progresses, i believe they print fewer and fewer issues, due to lack of demand. The comic companies will try to start a new volume of that series. to get collectors to buy the number 1 issue and its variants. You also probably notice that as the series progresses variant covers become less and less, until the series volume is ended,

Newsstands have always been part of the orgin of comics, or comic providence...."its where it all started" . To me there is a certain nastalia with newsstands
    thx for commenting cheers Very Happy.

WhistleWhistleWhistle

Last edited November 30, 2016 7:30:47 am
  • Posted: November 30, 2016 7:52:45 am
  • af15 said:
    Very interesting to see those percentages from 2000 until Marvel dropped out of the newsstand market completely.

As a Spidey completist, I started picking up all newsstand issues as they were released since the early 2000s and am so glad I did as finding them now is very hard. The more current a newsstand is, the more impossible it is to find. Heck, even getting them when they came out I still had to hit several bookstores to find issues sometimes, or to find them in nice condition.

I think you have some rare issues then, like a 1:100, when printed. Then you start factoring in that probably 66%-75% (2/3-3/4) would have been thrown out, the issue in questionbecomes a whole lot rarer than 1:100, (like 1::200 or scarcer)

***Also note that people who worked at the grocery store or the local tobacco shop, handled the comics with little care and consideration. People from comic shops treated their comic books like gold.
    You did well then, because almost noone did that.. DancingDancingDancingDancing

Its still one of the best kept secrets Shhh lol
  • Posted: November 30, 2016 10:09:12 am
  • Also as an aside, just like DC...towards the end of Marvel's newsstand run, there were a number of price differences between their newsstand and direct editions. Marvel's newsstand issues were typically a $1 higher than the direct market.

Beyond the newsstand scarcity (which most collectors don't want to see a difference between newsstand and direct), there are a lot of price variants too. Someday those will come to light and might become a collectible thing (albeit to a lesser degree than 30/35 cent variants or Canadian price variants).
  • Posted: December 31, 2016 5:04:29 am
  • I wanted to put some accurate light on this subject
    Very accurate and informative and its by, Benjamin NobelThink
    this is his blog

Newsstands will become the new chase for comic collectors, in the near future. if you want to increase your collections value, start buying before they are double in price.
    go to the link below.

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/newsstand-vs-direct-edition-comics/
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 246 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64syndicate-b
  • Schanes & Schanes's Dark Suns of Gruaga Issue nn
  • Pizz Publications's Jennifer Issue nn
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 17