feature requests

What are the best Comic Book Investments? (Comic Book Forums)

• What are the best Comic Book Investments?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 4, 2016 6:34:11 pm
  • If I was to spend say $2,000 to $10,000 on a comic book, and to hold on to it for 5 to 20 years. In your opinion, Which comic book would you buy for maximum financial return. I have a few in mind, but I'd rather pick the minds of the best in the industry. You guys Smile. Smile

Thx
  • Posted: November 4, 2016 10:08:46 pm
  • Maybe the highest unrestored graded copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 that you can get for $10,000. However, I would ask someone who buys comics for investment purposes, not someone like me who doesn't.
  • Posted: November 4, 2016 11:01:12 pm
  • Can you afford to lose the money? Investing in comics is the same as educated gambling.

However, if I were to buy a comic for investing, I would look at sliver age key issues. Some of the early DC silver age issues are very hard to find in any condition and have the potential for a good return.

It is almost impossible to make a mistake with Amazing Fantasy 15. I think Hulk 1 is undervalued.

• Posted: November 5, 2016 11:56:49 am
  • I know Oxman has 2 copies for sale of Amazing Spider-Man #1 that he has been trying to sell the last couple of months. I'm pretty sure you could get a smoking deal on them. Makes sense to invest in those (and AF #15 at any grade wouldn't hurt either).
  • Posted: November 5, 2016 1:59:56 pm
  • If I had that much money to invest in comics I would spread it out and buy several key issues from Marvel's early days instead of just purchasing one issue. I say this because as someone who has bought and sold for a long time it is always easier to make your return when something isn't so over valued that it's out of most people's price range. When you go to shows you'll see an Amazing Fantasy #15 sit there and they never usually sell. It becomes a show piece for people to awe and look at. I've always noticed that the first appearance of Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four #48 (1961) has always gone up in value. It is also the first appearance of Galactus. Also note worthy are Silver Surfer #1 (196Cool and #4 (app. w/Thor). These continue to go up in value and I think the day Marvel does something really amazing with the Surfer in movies they will skyrocket.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 5, 2016 4:22:04 pm
  • Thx for the suggestions. I was thinking about maybe gobbledygook 1? But I heard CGC will not grade these. Is this true?
    Amazing Fantasy 15 is a pretty sure bet
    First appearance of joker?

• Posted: November 5, 2016 4:23:34 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    If I had that much money to invest in comics I would spread it out and buy several key issues from Marvel's early days instead of just purchasing one issue. I say this because as someone who has bought and sold for a long time it is always easier to make your return when something isn't so over valued that it's out of most people's price range. When you go to shows you'll see an Amazing Fantasy #15 sit there and they never usually sell. It becomes a show piece for people to awe and look at. I've always noticed that the first appearance of Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four #48 (1961) has always gone up in value. It is also the first appearance of Galactus. Also note worthy are Silver Surfer #1 (196Cool and #4 (app. w/Thor). These continue to go up in value and I think the day Marvel does something really amazing with the Surfer in movies they will skyrocket.

Thx these are good choices
  • Posted: November 5, 2016 4:58:16 pm
  • Mr. Grimm, the Joker's first appearance was in Batman 1. That's a safe bet if you can afford it.

Rapha1978 said:
    If I had that much money to invest in comics I would spread it out and buy several key issues from Marvel's early days instead of just purchasing one issue. I say this because as someone who has bought and sold for a long time it is always easier to make your return when something isn't so over valued that it's out of most people's price range. When you go to shows you'll see an Amazing Fantasy #15 sit there and they never usually sell. It becomes a show piece for people to awe and look at. I've always noticed that the first appearance of Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four #48 (1961) has always gone up in value. It is also the first appearance of Galactus. Also note worthy are Silver Surfer #1 (196Cool and #4 (app. w/Thor). These continue to go up in value and I think the day Marvel does something really amazing with the Surfer in movies they will skyrocket.

While the comics Rapha listed do have a good turn rate, they do not appreciate too much in value. With the way Marvel is treating the FF, you can bet that won't change much in the near future.

If you are looking to invest, you would need to make a few decisions:

1. Do you want a quick flip and earn a few percentage points? This is a typical comics store operation.
    2. Do you want to have a safe long term investment? Key issues and very high grade older comics fit this description.
    3. Do you want to take a chance? Modern comics, variants, and hot comics fit this criteria.

Last edited November 5, 2016 4:59:13 pm

• Posted: November 6, 2016 3:05:53 am
  • joe_mccarty said:

While the comics Rapha listed do have a good turn rate, they do not appreciate too much in value. With the way Marvel is treating the FF, you can bet that won't change much in the near future.

1. Do you want a quick flip and earn a few percentage points? This is a typical comics store operation.
    2. Do you want to have a safe long term investment? Key issues and very high grade older comics fit this description.
    3. Do you want to take a chance? Modern comics, variants, and hot comics fit this criteria.

Yeah I had a similar feeling. While some of these old keys are a great way to make sure you don't lose money...I don't think they're necessarily the best opportunity to make money. I'd be looking at newer higher grade items. Think about what you can find in 9.8 in the silver or Bronze Age. Perhaps a first appearance of Moon Knight or something similar. I'd focus on hard to find high grade issues like this. Just my 2 cents.
  • Posted: November 6, 2016 4:39:54 pm
  • rpenny88 said:
    joe_mccarty said:

F

Yeah I had a similar feeling. While some of these old keys are a great way to make sure you don't lose money...I don't think they're necessarily the best opportunity to make money. I'd be looking at newer higher grade items. Think about what you can find in 9.8 in the silver or Bronze Age. Perhaps a first appearance of Moon Knight or something similar. I'd focus on hard to find high grade issues like this. Just my 2 cents.

Thx for the input. Well said
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Ten Speed Press's Advocate Hard Cover # 1
  • Titan Comics's Blade Runner 2039 Issue # 12
  • Marvel Comics's Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace  Issue # 2c
  • Titan Comics's Rebel Moon: House of the Bloodaxe Issue # 1g