feature requests

Seeking Advice for An Odd Shop (Comic Book Forums)

• Seeking Advice for An Odd Shop

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 25, 2016 3:49:48 am
  • I have bought quite a few comics from shops. Usually they are older books that are in varying conditions, but I'm not too fussy about where I find books. If it's an issue I want, I'll take it.
    "In times like these it's good to remember that there has always been times like these..."
  • Posted: October 31, 2016 4:40:50 pm
  • The biggest issue would be getting the people who already have a pull list to switch that pull list to you. i got out of comics for many years then got back into it in the past 4-5. I only recently setup a weekly pull list after realizing I just don't have the time to get in and pick up new issues. The owner of the store said I get a discount doing so, which surprised me. He said having the large number of people with pull lists is the only way he could stay a float. It's a fairly large store that's been around at least 20 years. He sells around 100 copies of the major DC titles a week (Batman, justice League etc.) that's in and around the other stuff. Gives you some ideas of the numbers to keep a store a float.

Basically if you don't have a loyal client base with pull lists they'll take every week it's tough to make money on new comics.
  • Posted: January 10, 2017 9:55:02 pm
  • If you already have good traffic on collectibles, I would not bother with new product. The profit margins are better on the old stuff and you just risk steering people's money towards lower profit items. You will end up dealing with high maintenance needy customers that waste your time.
  • Posted: January 11, 2017 12:23:11 am
  • It's been a few years now, but I used to shop at a comic shop that didn't carry new books. They made up for it with an amazing backstock for sale. I shopped there for several years -- would spend long Saturdays milling through the books to buy new stuff.

Eventually, they decided to get into new comics and the store was closed within a year and a half. It just wasn't worth it because they were gambling each week on what would or wouldn't sell. One bad week, maybe two, and things go bad fast.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Big Boss that the margins on the backstock were much better than the new books offered.
  • Posted: January 11, 2017 4:19:04 pm
  • Last week i had a shop eyes reopening....

I was helping out a buddy doing some side work at his uncle's house. at the end of the day we went to his uncle shop to get paid. i was rummaging thru the old dusty comic boxes while waiting for his uncle to take care of a customer. and here's what i found...

Ms. Marvel (v1) 1-12, 16, 17, & 20
    Spider Woman (v1) 1, 3, 37, 38
    G.I. Joe Real American Hero 1, 3-7 (all 1st print)
    Spawn Fan Edition 1, 3
    Spawn 9
    Fury of Firestorm 3, 7
    ROM 1
    Savage She Hulk 1
    New Mutants 1
    Ultimate Spider-Man 8 (Mad Engine Polybagged)
    Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends 1
    Man-Thing 1
    Dazzler 1
    Star-Lord Special Edition 1

Okay...heres the craziest part...They are all VF+ - NM+ everyone of them....untouched for decades...all at $2 each...so instead of making $192 cash...i made $120 cash and $800+ in comics lol....

he had full runs of the Ms. Marvel, Savage She Hulk and Spider Woman runs...i'm thinking of going back up there to buy out the Ms. Marvel and Spider Woman runs...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 2:01:36 am
  • Nicely done, Zombie! Pays to keep your eyes open!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: January 12, 2017 6:11:33 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    Last week i had a shop eyes reopening....

I was helping out a buddy doing some side work at his uncle's house. at the end of the day we went to his uncle shop to get paid. i was rummaging thru the old dusty comic boxes while waiting for his uncle to take care of a customer. and here's what i found...

Ms. Marvel (v1) 1-12, 16, 17, & 20
    Spider Woman (v1) 1, 3, 37, 38
    G.I. Joe Real American Hero 1, 3-7 (all 1st print)
    Spawn Fan Edition 1, 3
    Spawn 9
    Fury of Firestorm 3, 7
    ROM 1
    Savage She Hulk 1
    New Mutants 1
    Ultimate Spider-Man 8 (Mad Engine Polybagged)
    Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends 1
    Man-Thing 1
    Dazzler 1
    Star-Lord Special Edition 1

Okay...heres the craziest part...They are all VF+ - NM+ everyone of them....untouched for decades...all at $2 each...so instead of making $192 cash...i made $120 cash and $800+ in comics lol....

he had full runs of the Ms. Marvel, Savage She Hulk and Spider Woman runs...i'm thinking of going back up there to buy out the Ms. Marvel and Spider Woman runs...

Somebody my age sold their comic collection. I bought all that when it came out and still have it..

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Massive Publishing's Crashdown Issue # 1l
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18i
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Man vs Venom Soft Cover # 1 - 5th print